Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 18-August 17 )

• Photo
    joshtheeagle

• Photo
    Sprout

• Photo
    blahblah

• Photo
    AllowIT

• Photo
    woodywoods

• Photo
    dave_c

• Photo
    all seeing eye

• Photo
    twobags

• Photo
    moleskin

Photo

Friday evening

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
63 replies to this topic

offline Eastside Urchin

Eastside Urchin
  • President Elect
  • rank
  • Supports: AFC Hornchurch
  • Foes: Romford
billy bragg is a [****!!****]!

offline MbrunoB

MbrunoB
  • National Squad - 1st XI
  • Supports: ETFC, ETLFC, ARSENAL, YB SK Beveren & The Wonderful World of MOD
  • Foes: SCUMMERS you know who you are!!
  • Fav. Player(s): Dennis Bergkamp + Claire Gooch ;-)
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football, Speedway & Darts
  • Twitter
As a fellow Gooner I will let that go!! biglaugh

offline Eastside Urchin

Eastside Urchin
  • President Elect
  • rank
  • Supports: AFC Hornchurch
  • Foes: Romford
lol!!!

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
Originally Posted By: The Horse'sMouth
I don't think Billy Bragg demands people live anywhere. Are you saying that because Billy Bragg as earned a few bob he can't live where he wants and he must continue to live in the area he was brought up in?

I also don't consider that he feels the only thing we have to be proud of his multiculturism.

I do however agree that his last album was probably his weakest to date. Give me Spy vs Spy anytime.

No.i'm saying that Billy has pioneered (demanded) the sort of community structure that exists in places like Barking today.Ie..large scale multi-cultralism.High dispersion and movement of communities.Over crowding.etc,and all the problems that come with this sort of social policy,but then opts out of that lifestyle himself,to leave those less fortunate in the area and those without the means to move on,to live amonst the social conditions he poineered,whilst he can quietly go and live in a Tory Manor House within an affluent almost exclusively 'English' community.Doesn't that strike you as just a touch hypocritical?

Ps.Agree with you about Spy Vs Spy.

offline Gazza

Gazza
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
Billy Bragg = Depressing!

Barking = Depressing!

St. Georges Day = Why? Should we not be patriotic every day? without the use of a fable!

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
Just as the best way to make the FA cup prestigous again,would be to give the fourth champions league place to the winners.

The best way to make St George's day feel special would be to make the day a national bank holiday.

offline Gazza

Gazza
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
What instead of Mayday? Again what is that all about? Bizarre!

offline Steph

Steph
  • First XI - Permanent
Ah I see the sound of ideologies clashing.

offline The Horse'sMouth

The Horse'sMouth
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
Personally I feel we have too many Bank Holidays in April/May. I've always been in favour of a Bank holiday in Oct/Nov. Maybe the Monday after Rememberence Sunday.

Lovely Stuff we will have to agree to disagree on what Billy as Pioneered or demanded. For me Billy is one of England's greatest living poets and someone whose lyrics actually mean something.

offline Greg_Dyke

Greg_Dyke
  • Youth Team Coach
Trafalgar Day is celebrated in November...

offline Mr Happy

Mr Happy
  • Youth Team Coach
  • Supports: Enfield Town & Spurs
  • Foes: Gooner scumbags
Now trhat I do agree with. Good to celebrate a winning battle against the froggies!!!

offline Arkwright

Arkwright
  • First XI - Permanent
Originally Posted By: Greg_Dyke
Trafalgar Day is celebrated in November...

Strange, the battle was in October.

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
Exactly.why not move St Georges day to October,and make it bank holdiday.

A former American president changed the date of Thanksgiving from early in the year (when the Plymouth actually landed) to November.And it been successfully celebrated at that time ever since.

Also we could do with more bank holidays,as we currently have fewer than nearly every other western nation

offline Mr Happy

Mr Happy
  • Youth Team Coach
I think every Friday should be a bank holiday.

offline Greg_Dyke

Greg_Dyke
  • Youth Team Coach
Originally Posted By: lovely stuff

Also we could do with more bank holidays,as we currently have fewer than nearly every other western nation

It's hard enough getting to a bank as it is, dont give them more holidays... alk yay arcadefreak

offline Arkwright

Arkwright
  • First XI - Permanent
Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
Exactly.why not move St Georges day to October,and make it bank holdiday.

A former American president changed the date of Thanksgiving from early in the year (when the Plymouth actually landed) to November.And it been successfully celebrated at that time ever since.

Better still, celebrate Waterloo Day in June, Trafalgar Day in October & Guy Fawkes Day in November.

offline Mr Happy

Mr Happy
  • Youth Team Coach
We should also have a bank holiday to celebrate the founding of Enfield Town FC.

offline The Invisible Man

The Invisible Man
Every day should be a Bank Holiday, except Saturdays and Sundays, which should remain as weekends.

No-one knows who St. George was or where he came from, if he really existed at all which he probably didn't. I'd prefer Bede or Alfred (neither are saints but who cares, one was Venerable and was a Great and that's near enough for me). Or Biggles.

Alban was probably not "British" either, being a Roman army officer. In any event he was certainly not English as there was no England at the time.

Before anyone brings it up, Patrick wasn't Irish either. Again it is not known where he came from and there are conflicting schools of thought - Wales, West Country, Northumberland - and his "ethnicity" is not known. And he had nothing to do with snakes.

offline Mr Happy

Mr Happy
  • Youth Team Coach
Originally Posted By: The Invisible Man
Every day should be a Bank Holiday, except Saturdays and Sundays, which should remain as weekends.

No-one knows who St. George was or where he came from, if he really existed at all which he probably didn't. I'd prefer Bede or Alfred (neither are saints but who cares, one was Venerable and was a Great and that's near enough for me). Or Biggles.

Alban was probably not "British" either, being a Roman army officer. In any event he was certainly not English as there was no England at the time.

Before anyone brings it up, Patrick wasn't Irish either. Again it is not known where he came from and there are conflicting schools of thought - Wales, West Country, Northumberland - and his "ethnicity" is not known. And he had nothing to do with snakes.

Ah yes, England may not have existed but the word England stems from the the Angles (there are various spellings) and these peoples either came from Geramny or from the Baltic countries. So, in this case our patron saint could be that famous yiddo Jurgen Klinsman or what about Kristanna Loken (the Norwegian blonde bombsehl who played the Terminatrix in T3)???

offline The Invisible Man

The Invisible Man
Quite why it was the Angles who gave their name to the present nation is a mystery, as the apparent early medieval "influx" included Angles, Saxons and Jutes (as named by Bede) plus other groups from (present) northern Germany, Jutland, Holland and Belgium. Others called them collectively "Saxons" (=sassenach) and we all remember our Robin Hood - Normans v. Saxons. The whole early med period is often abbreviated to "Saxon" or Anglo-Saxon". I am not aware of any major population movement from Baltic areas (other than Jutland) until the "Vikings". The nature of the influx and numbers of people involved in the Germanic incursions is hotly debated at present (believe nothing you see on TV documentaries). Some argue for a small warrior elite, others for a huge migration, others for models between the two.

You're ruling out St Stefan Freund then? grin

Another candidate must surely be St Jim? applause2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus