Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

NEW MANAGER OR NOT ?

spoton

There are lots of others. If Borg or Roberts came to the club it is likely that we would have the same disciplinary problems as now and it is doubtful that they could achieve anything with little money.

Think of players that have played for Town.

What about Marting St Hilaire he certainly developed his son's talent and was a loyal club man.

Paul Turner - really got the team playing well.

Current players what about Bryan Hammet he has demonstrated an ability to pull the team together but may not improve discipline to a great extent.

Now Greg Heald. Someone posted that he is/was a teacher so can communicate. He must have contacts with former football league players and has marshalled the defence somewhat.

All of the above would be taking on management for the first time and would be fairly cheap, one would have thought, may be just the job to instill some enthusiasm and DISCIPLINE.

I agree with Steph, although id love to see George Borg at the helm I cant see it happening, ££££££££££'s being the main reason, good call on The Saint, Paul Turner, Greg Heald but the latter two are both teachers so cant see them having the needed time.

It is now clear, CRYSTAL CLEAR, a new management TEAM is needed but getting the right man at this level will not be easy, but Im sure we will have a queue forming to take the role.

Originally Posted By: Gazza
I agree with Steph, although id love to see George Borg at the helm I cant see it happening, ££££££££££'s being the main reason, good call on The Saint, Paul Turner, Greg Heald but the latter two are both teachers so cant see them having the needed time.

It is now clear, CRYSTAL CLEAR, a new management TEAM is needed but getting the right man at this level will not be easy, but Im sure we will have a queue forming to take the role.
But Gazza wasn't Eddie McClusky a headmaster ? He found the time .

Originally Posted By: Gazza
Yes good point MFM however that was in the good old days when teachers were, well teachers, these days they do more administration than teaching, time on their hands is probaly less easy to come by.

On the money there Gazza.
A lot of local clubs had teachers as administrators, coaches,, etc but the BS committees, paperwork, double the amount of 'meetings' since I started teaching and meet & greets sees a lot of the time we used to have eroded and less and less teacher involvement in local sporting sides.

BTW...academic results haven't reflected the extra time involved.

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
............With the Chairman having the ultimate decision.

no he doesn't

it would be taken by a "sub committee" so that no one individual carries the can.

And yes it is time for a change, the play has become predictable, the home performances are shocking, and we are losing the marginal supporters, you know those 30 - 40 who would pay £ 7:00 to see a good 90 minutes of NL football.

How long can we afford to lose circa £250 per home game, plus ancillary sales.

Time to act is now, while the horse is at the stable door, not when another chance of promotion has gone.

I have to say that I also don't look forward to Saturdays as much any more. There was a time that I would do anything to ensure that I am albe to go to matches both home and away (regardless of location). These days I rarely go to the away games and have to push myself to attend home games in the hope of seeing an improvement.

I will not be at Bury on Saturday.

Indeed there was a time that i would go on holiday late, Mrs Gazza and co would go in the morning & I would leave in the evening after the game, one occassion we paid for two ferry bookings another a divereted journey with total mileage of over 500 miles for a 280 mile trip, that wouldnt happen now, both those were two seasons ago in the Southern League, the most enjoyable season since the Borg days in the mid nineties, good football, good away grounds too, this league has nothing to offer in my eyes, indeed the ESL days were much more enjoyable, grounds, football, banter all sadly missing at present.

It seems to me that there are many more clubs that are ambitious in this league than either the southern league or the Essex Senior League.

Indeed I was surprised to see the way that Aveley had knocked down that ramshackle stand on the far side and even painted there seated stand. It seems that even they have become more enterprising than I would have imagined only 2 years ago.

Make no mistake it will be difficult to get out of this league. Promoted clubs from the ESL will want to go on further especially if they have no financial problems.

It is now that we have to dig in and realise that we have to pull together to support our hopes for the future. Those fair weather fans who cant take setbacks should consider, "What is the function of sport?" For every winner there has to be many losers it is the striving for success that is part of the game more that the gifting of easy wins.