Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tuesday League Results

Originally Posted By: Krooner
And Matty only left because of Wimbledons Fan Base although in saying that he did turn Aldershot down. It was a shame he wrecked his knee. He was class.

Completely agree, what a legend! Good for 20 odd goals a season too from defence! Favourite memory was his 90th minute winner away at Herne Bay in the Vase - pandamonium! bow

Originally Posted By: Roland
legend
are you taking a step back when £500 was mentioned i thought you said thats about our budget might have some players at your office door maybe no door or worse no office heaven forbid

Office???? I do have one on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I think they call it the refs changing room on a saturday.

I think Duncs is onto something, but I like the idea of a win bonus for the whole team. This way it is everyone together instead of certain big money individuals.

Roland, I think there are a couple of teams in the CCL1 which have budgets. We are defintly not one of them. My first real managers job and would rather do it without the hassles of a budget at the moment.

I did once say to our chairman that I really want a budget, so he bought me a bird in a cage. I guess he did not hear me correctly.

Winning at this level is half about money in terms of attracting players and half about getting the layers to actually put it in for you and want to play for you. What I have found is that there is a fine balance between it being a 'professional' set up and a social thing. There more 'professional' the set up the more likely it is going to hurt when you get beat, and subsequently wanna do something about it. 'Money seekers' as I call em are ten a plenty at this level and are normally players in the twilight of the playing days or people who couldn't cut it at the level/s above. Are they any help to teams???? Maybe, maybe not. But if a team is lucky enough to have a decent budget they should reward the players who do show the drive and committment to want to get you out of the league - I'm all for Performance related bonuses.

But then you would also have to know what they team get money wise anyway!!!

And as for Egham being even mentioned in the same breath as Chertsey for budgets - that is a joke. They nicked our Physio not so long ago offering her silly money (not that she isn't good) and even though her other half plays for us she had to go because it was such a good offer.

one suspects though they thought it may well attract other half along too - some players are loyal though!

Originally Posted By: El_Gaffer

Money doesn't buy success in this league though,

Completely agree. If anyone thinks the management or players at Merstham are on good money, then they are seriously mistaken. The success this year seems to be the culmination of several years's worth of team loyalty, good backrom staff, good pitch and facilities and a "family club" feeling to the whole set-up. This has been achieved in the main with hard graft and lots of volunteers NOT money.