Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Straw That Broke The Camels Back.

lovely stuff

cry

The watershed game.The enough is enough game.The probable end of their Enfield Town careers for the management team and half a dozen of the players.Its that significant.

Losing 0-2 to the bottom team,thus ending any realistic hope of promotion.

Jim is a great fella,but there were so many holes in team selction,formation,attitude,discipline..etc,that it was embarrassing to be a Town supporter today.When totally demoralised Town supporters cheer and applaud when their captain gets sent off,you get the idea of the feeling that is running through the diehards.There are a couple of players that should never wear the shirt again for us.I won't name names, but those in attendance today will have a good idea who i am talking about.

I don't know where to start,the starting line-up and formation alone would take half an hour to explain.I'll go through it more detail when i've calmed down.

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
cry

The watershed game.The enough is enough game.The probable end of their Enfield Town careers for the management team and half a dozen of the players.Its that significant.

Losing 0-2 to the bottom team,thus ending any realistic hope of promotion.

Jim is a great fella,but there were so many holes in team selction,formation,attitude,discipline..etc,that it was embarrassing to be a Town supporter today.When totally demoralised Town supporters cheer and applaud when their captain gets sent off,you get the idea of the feeling that is running through the diehards.There are a couple of players that should never wear the shirt again for us.I won't name names, but those in attendance today will have a good idea who i am talking about.

I don't know where to start,the starting line-up and formation alone would take half an hour to explain.I'll go through it more detail when i've calmed down.

When you spend a friday night raising much needed money to pay a set of expected FA fines and three muppets spend it on the Saturday what can you say? The two booked deserved to be booked. No complaints from me about the sending off. A stupid tackle in a stupid place on the pitch.

If it were down to me next Saturday I'd ask Mike Smee and the Reserves to play against the Redbridge first team and invite Ozie, Michael and Jason to join them.

My son plays for the reserves and the under 18s my other son plays for Aldershot both of them have played for Mike Smee in our youth team over the years and both say he is the best coach they ever had and can't understand why he hasn’t been given the chance to prove himself.

Mike is said to be passionate very well organized and Tactically aware his discipline record speaks for itself and he has won nearly every youth competition he has entered.

I wish people would take some notice at the talent he has and if we don’t give him the chance someone else will.

I Have been at several youth matches this season and nearly every club we play the secretary tries to tap him up in the bar afterwards this I’ve seen with my own eyes.

My sons believe in him so I believe in him.

GIVE HIM THE CHANCE gotcha1

Originally Posted By: neo
My son plays for the reserves and the under 18s my other son plays for Aldershot both of them have played for Mike Smee in our youth team over the years and both say he is the best coach they ever had and can't understand why he hasn’t been given the chance to prove himself.
Mike is said to be passionate very well organized and Tactically aware his discipline record speaks for itself and he has won nearly every youth competition he has entered.
I wish people would take some notice at the talent he has and if we don’t give him the chance someone else will.
I Have been at several youth matches this season and nearly every club we play the secretary tries to tap him up in the bar afterwards this I’ve seen with my own eyes.
My sons believe in him so I believe in him.

GIVE HIM THE CHANCE gotcha1

Well as I have said already I'd like to see Mike Smee play his team against Dean Holdsworth next Saturday as I see both managers as serious contenders for the Town Management role for next season. Maybe my dream ticket would be Dean and Mike together?

When is the Board going to get off the fence?

I know I’ve tried to put a positive spin on bad results over the course of this season and generally been prepared to give the benefit of the doubt but that really was pretty awful to watch this afternoon. There really should be no excuses for this performance – we’re playing like we have absolutely zero confidence, and whilst the formation wasn’t an issue, the team selection clearly was. We couldn’t get the ball into the danger areas, which meant that Crace couldn’t be effective (i.e. he’s not going to make a goal out of nothing without the ball at his feet around the box), and we didn’t keep the ball for long enough up front to bring other players into play.

Also, how is Deane a wing-back (especially a right wing-back)? I was surprised that Harvey didn’t start as well, as he’s been one of the success stories of the season in my book, and it’s no secret that I’m a big Nyamah fan – I can only assume there are fitness reasons as to why he didn’t start. Foster in midfield as well? He can hold the ball up well, and is a tidy player with two good feet – the more I see of him, the more I think he could do a job, but that job is definitely up front, not in central midfield, surely? The incident that summed things up was when Foster got to the bye-line in the last couple of minutes, and pinged across a perfect ball, just begging to be headed in, but there wasn’t anyone within 10 yards of it. We need wide players who are going to put balls like that in, and centre forwards who are going to get on the end of them. Foster’s frustration summed the afternoon up for me.

One thing I will say is that whilst I’m not sure that Campbell should have been playing sweeper, I thought he had an excellent game, and was one of two or three players who came out of the game with any credit (the others being Magona who was solid, Foster who was tidy on the ball and worked hard, and possibly Velandia who at least provided us with a few moments of football).

What is it with keepers making mistakes as well? I’m sure that all the keepers that have played for town this season are decent players, but I can’t remember so many errors in such a short space of time, and as you’d expect, if your keeper makes an error, more than likely you’re going to concede, which we did today (it was well taken early finish mind you, which caught Willis flat footed).

And the discipline! It’s embarrassing, and that’s one thing that we should have control over as a team. OK, so we’re very low on confidence, we’re not playing well, in some cases we’re not getting the rub of the green or decisions going our way, but I do NOT want to see players representing our club resorting to kicking people, at any stage of the game, even if we’re 10-0 down. Jones’ two footed lunge was awful (fair play to their player for not making more of it – he could have done), Tickner could have easily gone for a combination of fouls in the second half, and by the sounds of it, Hammatt deserved his red - I must admit, I was unsighted (not trying to sound like Wenger there ;-). I really could sympathise with their management team’s protestations in the second half.

It really frustrates me that players who we know can produce the goods at this level are performing so badly, and showing so little confidence. I’m really starting to agree with comments made in the week about certain players, and I’m really not convinced that our front two can play together with each other, despite having plenty of good attributes. They’re too small, and unless we can get them some quality service to feet, in space, we’re just not going to look like scoring. Foster, Deane or Grieves would at least give us more of an outlet and potentially create chances for someone like Crace, who is sharp around the box as he proved so well last season. He’s not sharp on the halfway line when he’s receiving the ball with two large defenders bearing down on him. That said, shouting at Hammatt (or any other player that people think shouldn’t be playing) is totally counterproductive.

I don’t know what the answer is to all this, but something needs to change, as this season is pretty much dead in the water now. The club has bags of potential, many of the players ARE more than good enough at this level (and they’ve proved it over the years), but it’s just not happening at the moment. In spite of what people say about voting with their feet, I’ll continue to support the club as much as I can, and do my best to encourage and support, even if I don’t agree with the formation / players or if we’re 0-2 down and not creating chances. Doing anything else will only hurt the club, and we all care about ETFC (why else would we spend our days on here making posts like this?) It’s times like this when the club needs its fans, so let’s hope that today is the low point, and we have some enjoyable football with an eye on building for the future for the rest of the season.

Come on you Towners!

So is it this week that an FA official meets up with the players and tells them how to behave on a pitch, or has he already been?

Let's be honest. No ETFC supporter, irrespective of their position within 'our' club, who visited Wivenhoe yesterday, could have left after 90 minutes saying that this is a team going places. The conduct of some of the players left a lot to be desired and on another day we would have been down to 8 men never mind 10. Just why did violent conduct be allowed to go unpunished? Just what led PC to hoofing the ball into the next county after we gave away a freekick? Just where is the discipline? As for the justified sending off! Words fail me.

Is someone not going to realise that support for the team is on the wane because of poor performances on the field of play? How many ETFC regulars didn't go yesterday because their enthusiam for following a team without the necessary leadership is turning to other matters? Shopping for instance? I even heard two Wivenhoe supporters commenting on the lack of the away support!

Other clubs go through highs and lows and don't have half the support we have. Difficult decisions have to be made so it's about time they were made so that 'our' club could be challenging for honours in the future and playing attractive football, even at our level?

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it. Unfortunately, it is broke, so fix it!

No doubt the usual few on here will be critiscised for voicing their opinions, but, as I have said before, there are more people voicing their concerns on the terraces than on here.

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
Is it better for the club to find a new manager now or to wait until the closed season?? That can be the only consideration.

To that, I'd like to add something about stopping the disciplinary decline. That comes down to the players, so perhaps the primary consideration should be removing the key miscreants (which might even act as potential mitigation). The added benefit of doing so would hopefully be to save enough from the wage bill to fund the inevitable FA fine at the end of the season from current resources. Not doing so simply means it comes from next season's wage bill, and would impact upon the quality of applicants for the management post(s). It may also make a new manager's job easier, in that he'll have less of a squad to weed through come the summer.

On the basis that the U-18s could no fewer points than the first team in the last two games, I see little problem in playing the four Middx representatives for the rest of the season. That also sets them up to be regulars next season, and would underpin the club's conveyor belt and reputation going forward.

This league requires sides to play with pace & power. We currently do neither. Looking across the first team squad and think who you'd keep is quite frightening at the moment.

Well in the old days I wouldn't like to say you were close but you usually knew what colour hankerchief the Chairman used when they sneezed, how often they sneezed and if they needed a spare hanky you'd lend them one - must have a better circle of friends these days? Well we all try to better ourselves.

So you expect Jim to see the season out - Bless you!