Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island 1-1 WithamTown

Matt H

Totally threw this match away by not killing off the game with the number of chances we created.

First half we played some great football on the floor and made space and width, creating plenty of chances to score more than the one goal. Leon and Bourney were hugging the wings and we actually had a some nice play through midfield.

Second half it all went tits up, we lost our width, kept hoofing the ball, still created some half chances, but couldn't hit a barndoor and inevitably dropped two points after quite an inept performance.

Was Russell at fault for their goal? More often than not I've seen a Ref blow-up for a foul on the 'Keeper. Thought Colin and Dobbo were solid today, Leon and Bourney were great, at opening up the Witham defence and Fanibuyan was his usual quality self, very unlucky not the get on the scoresheet after hitting the post.

I am still so amazed at how we threw the game away so badly though. Second half performances like today are going to drive the crowds away if we can't take our chances. Performances like today's could cost us promotion, even our play-off place. Teams like Witham who have two fans and a flag are attracting players as good as their number four, yet we're stuck with the same old, same old.

We don't even look like we want to be promoted this season, which puts me in a doubtful frame of mind with regards to renewing my season ticket.

I think our playing staff needs a strong overhaul during the close season, whether we get promotion or not. Most of the players at the Club have given us two seasons service now and most of them are not going to get any better than they already are. No change could have a long term effect of making our crowds dwindle. No-one is going to want to see the same old rubbish week in, week out no matter how long you've been following the Club or how loyal you feel yourself to be.

If changes in playing staff are not implemented and no improvement is shown by the fact that we're stucking lingering where we are now by the end of next season then I feel it is off the pitch where the changes should be conducted.

I'll be at Park Lane on Easter Monday just to get my money's worth out of my curret season ticket, but I can't be arsed to waste money travelling to Waltham Abbey if we're gonna put in another performance like today and that's all I really have say on the matter.

mad cry mad cry mad cry mad cry mad cry mad cry mad cry mad cry mad cry mad cry mad cry mad

Matt, i understand your frustration but saying you can't be bothered and doubt you will be re newing your season ticket is a bit over the top. This division is a lot harder to get out of than you think, gone are the days of throwing money at it to put it right thats why we are in this position. We ar a good young side and are more than a match for any team but we have off days just like you and i do. One loss in 13 or so games says a lot ok we should have beaten Witham yesterday they were a poor side but we fell into the trap late on of punting the ball high into the area where they had a a couple of big defenders to win everything in the air.What we should be doing is playing the Canvey way on the floor opening them up like we did in the first half. What we need is to really get behind the team and cheer them on the the playoffs them who knows what will happen.

come on you yellows!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday was very frustrating but in fairness that was our first poor performance in nearly 2 months.

Still alot of football left to play and I fancy that there'll be quite a few twists and turns yet to come.

I really can't believe i have read such utter tosh from Matt..

We are very lucky to still have a football club let alone a playoff chasing Team who have lost just once in 13 games.

In a ideal world it would be great if our performances were exciting and brilliant every week but that's just not going to happen, just look at Arsenal yesterday!

Personally if i was one of the very hard working volunteers who work around the clock to keep the club alive i would be really disapointed to read a post like the one posted by Matt.

Everyone has the right to a opinion but please try and keep it real!

We have a big week ahead so i think we all need to get behind John the Players and the Directors so that we give ourselves the best chance of promotion.

Up the Gulls!

Guest MOB Snr

Matt!

What a complete plonka you are, do you really watch the match!!!!

I never saw anything that you saw, I saw a Canvey team control a game from start to finish!!

Yes we had areas for development (Georges first touch & Bourneys crossing and a bit more aggression on goal) but apart from that you are talking rubbish.

Chris Bourne was outstanding down the left, at times taking the p^ss out of their defenders. George threw himself into challenges he should have lost and he won them for us, I think he ran out of steam in the end, because he done so well in the first half!!

Wall was awesome especially in the air, all around a great display, Leon was good and at times Gabs was brilliant. Dobbo was in charge, Roberts touch was worth the fee alone!!

They nicked a lucky goal by knocking the ball out of James hands, that does not warrent the crap you posted!!

The problem with us is we play football against teams that want to kick people, all we do is play football!

We are a good side with good support, a good backroom team. John Batch and Brits do more than we deserve, Glen, Sue, Jayne and all the staff especially the ground staff work their nuts off for our club. The players work harder than any of their peers, why would you come on here and spurt such rubbish.

Ruggy came on with more bandage than kit, I do not think his wages are dependant on your season ticket!!

I wonder do you Matt you think more about your opinion than our club.

My message to our players and management team is, unlucky lads worked hard, more of the same please!!

My question to you Matt is why not pop down to Hx with Ian, and see what UU would do if you posted the same comments about his beloved Hx! The difference is you will get aay with this rubbish!!

My offer is I will buy whats left of your season ticket off you for what you paid for it if you stopped talking cr6p,!!

My message to John Batch is MORE OF THE SAME and stop shouting "second ball"!!! This is close to being a brilliant season.

My suggestion is if you really believe in what you are saying step down as moderator and start acting like a fan!

Blimey, our seasons over by the sounds of it! After all, we're a massive 2 points off of the playoffs with games in hand and in the Semi Finals of the Thameside Trophy...!

Matt, you and me have been following Canvey roughly around the same amount of time, you probably longer than me. All we've ever know up until the change around was success after success on the back of Kingy's money.

However, saying things like you're unlikely to renew your season ticket because we might not go up is not something I would have expected you to say. As much as the glory is brilliant when it happens, surely there's more to supporting a team than winning things every year?

Things are a lot different these days, and admittedly it was an opportunity wasted on Saturday. However, as somebody else has pointed out, that's now 1 defeat in the last 13, which is not bad going I'm sure you'll agree.

However, as much as I don't agree with Matt's opinion, there's no need to start a witch hunt against the fella! I'm sure when we win the playoff final he'll get the first round in!

Keep the faith!!

Breaking the story in to how the game is played (on the floor) rather than how badly we look is of more interest than toys being thrown out of the pram.

If we are to be a play it on the floor team then we all need to judge differently what we are seeing on match day.

Defenders choosing to hit the ball down the channels when forced in to a rapid clearance! No problem but defenders continually hitting long in the channels when given time should only be the odd occasion choice, playing the ball through mid-field being the 80% choice

Mid-field then has to be moving in to space for the defender to have comfortable choice and again in the mid-field performance we must be looking for players who pass and move

At this time when we are not comfortable as fans its is mostly due to defenders giving the ball wellie saying to attackers “go on chase that” and most of our mid-field want 2 or 3 touches or need to do a trick before passing.

My all time favourite manager said that players must work hardest when they do not have the ball; easy passing rhythms are gained by the hard work of players being in position to receive the easy pass

For a defender to blast the ball out of defence every time sets a pattern of play that the mid-field cannot control and they become second ball wrestlers.

For mid-fielders to do a trick or take2-3 touches every time determines forwards are always heavily marked when eventually given the ball.

The enemies last third is the place to gamble, defenders cannot hope to play the Hollywood ball every time.

To create shooting chances there are only three options:

1. The through pass between defenders(difficult from 50/60 yards)

2. The dribble where you have the space of the defender beaten

3. The wall pass where again you have won the space of the defender passed around.

Originally Posted By: pabird
Breaking the story in to how the game is played (on the floor) rather than how badly we look is of more interest than toys being thrown out of the pram.
If we are to be a play it on the floor team then we all need to judge differently what we are seeing on match day.
Defenders choosing to hit the ball down the channels when forced in to a rapid clearance! No problem but defenders continually hitting long in the channels when given time should only be the odd occasion choice, playing the ball through mid-field being the 80% choice
Mid-field then has to be moving in to space for the defender to have comfortable choice and again in the mid-field performance we must be looking for players who pass and move
At this time when we are not comfortable as fans its is mostly due to defenders giving the ball wellie saying to attackers “go on chase that” and most of our mid-field want 2 or 3 touches or need to do a trick before passing.
My all time favourite manager said that players must work hardest when they do not have the ball; easy passing rhythms are gained by the hard work of players being in position to receive the easy pass
For a defender to blast the ball out of defence every time sets a pattern of play that the mid-field cannot control and they become second ball wrestlers.
For mid-fielders to do a trick or take2-3 touches every time determines forwards are always heavily marked when eventually given the ball.
The enemies last third is the place to gamble, defenders cannot hope to play the Hollywood ball every time.
To create shooting chances there are only three options:
1. The through pass between defenders(difficult from 50/60 yards)
2. The dribble where you have the space of the defender beaten
3. The wall pass where again you have won the space of the defender passed around.

ha ha..you don't change pabird and although you are a true cloughie disciple you have to accept that the quality of player that you seek (perhaps we all seek) is no longer available within our meagre budgets...football played on the floor is always secondary to points gained these days at our level...

sad but true...learn and prosper.... as we have...

fans show their colours in many ways and often hurt can be concealed but sadly at other times manifests itself into anger and spontaneous aggression aimed at the very heroes we pay to watch....

I have read this thread with much interest and I read nothing but a hurt fan venting his spleen....misguided perhaps but still a hurt fan...his opinion...we are all entitled to one....

a fan....and a good and loyal one...

keep the faith matty and learn to button it sometimes...I never agree with MOB as a matter of principle but he has a point...you are a MOD and need to carry the troops when they need it...

Not been on here for a while but i agree totally with Uncle, you were a little o.t.t. Matt. Mob a lot of what you said was also true but as T.G.E. said lets not start a witch-hunt.

Matt if you would like to go down and watch Concord one day you will see how far even this team have come, i watched them once i will never watch them again even if they let me in for free and bought my beer all afternoon. I dont think ive gone to far

"Matt if you would like to go down and watch Concord one day you will see how far even this team have come,"

I beg to differ son...the gap is shortening might be?Concord has assembled a good squad together,are in two cup finals,great fa vase run and with a very good chance to get promoted to your division.Oh gold,i thought i would have never said this!! grin

Originally Posted By: coach et 64
"Matt if you would like to go down and watch Concord one day you will see how far even this team have come,"

I beg to differ son...the gap is shortening might be?Concord has assembled a good squad together,are in two cup finals,great fa vase run and with a very good chance to get promoted to your division.Oh gold,i thought i would have never said this!! grin

Concord are sh1t with a capital 'S' and so is the ESL!!! The gap isn't shortening, it's getting wider......a bit like your belly!!!! grin

Actually i'm losing weight!In the ancient Rome a wide belly was synonymous with wealth..i'm a rich man biglaugh

How are your coaching badges coming along matt? i'm sure Batchy and co. would love to have someone with your sublime knowledge of the game on the bench along side them!

Anyone and i mean antyone can pick a team in hindsight can't they? (rhetorical)

These men have years of playing/coaching in competetive football. I doubt you have ever played an organised game of football in your life! Give them time matt! It hurts them as well!

Rant over!

Kudos though matty on livening up the forum!