Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Merstham - next season

bomaya

I was going to wait until our season ends but as it already has for most of you lot, I'll ask now before you go off for your holibobs.

What do you think for Merstham's chances next season? I'm genuinely interested in honest answers, not looking for anything more than that, and believe it or not I do actually respect (some of) the knowledge and opinions on here.

Looking at recent league winners, it's interesting to note the differing fortunes of the first year at Step 4:

Chipstead - comfortable mid-table

Goldaming - bottom and only saved from relegation due to re-structuring

Walton Casuals - comfortable mid-table

AFC Wimbledon - 1st and promoted to Step 3

So what do you reckon our chances:

1) Do extremely well and end up in top 6

2) Do well, finish between 7th and 14th

3) Struggle and flirt near relegation places but finish above them

4) Relegated back down

I'm a natural pessimist so am already thinking of how many points we might need to survive but I hope I'm wrong.

I think that unless you are very lucky and keep the right blend of players, who will not make big demands, it will all be about money and how you can support a team financially at that level.

Being in Merstham you have to be realistic knowing you will not have a big support base which will then depend on sponsorship, which is hard at the moment with Companies not having a lot of spare cash, just enjoy it while you are there, you can never tell?

Originally Posted By: eye1
I think that unless you are very lucky and keep the right blend of players, who will not make big demands, it will all be about money and how you can support a team financially at that level.

Being in Merstham you have to be realistic knowing you will not have a big support base which will then depend on sponsorship, which is hard at the moment with Companies not having a lot of spare cash, just enjoy it while you are there, you can never tell?

Spot on eye1 I totally agree. I think Merstham will come mid-table in the Rymans League.

I'll be surprised ifyou struggle, you have players that have the experiance at that level and have more pace and energy than Chipstead.

This league is a decent standard and you Vase run proved your quality. As fore your age bill if you can provide what you have now that will be O.K. as the club is on a roll and the players will want to be part of that. Its second season syndrome that could catch you out.

I think Merstham will hold their own happybouncer next seaon and with one or two additions will finish mid table ish, and agree it will be the following season which will be hard. The current players will need to change the mentality of winning every week (as they have been as a club for 3 seasons plus) and be prepared for some tough defeats and losing run opf games and will need the bounce back ability.

I wish them well for next season

You're much better than chipstead were last season for sure so i expect you to do well, with the organisation and work ethic you have you're already on the right track add a lil creativity and you'll be alright grin

Can't believe teffers snuck in bounce-back-ability lol

ps told you aaron would score Bommie wink

For me 2 tables in the Ryman. The teams in the top 8 and the rest. Reckon Merstham are more than good enough to be top of the rest. Good Luck. I am missing Mick already smile

Originally Posted By: Gussy

You're much better than chipstead were last season for sure so i expect you to do well, with the organisation and work ethic you have you're already on the right track add a lil creativity and you'll be alright grin

Can't believe teffers snuck in bounce-back-ability lol
ps told you aaron would score Bommie wink

happybouncer Could not resist that one Gusset excited

Funnily enough MS was at our ressies game last night and we discussing this very thing...

I reckon they will stay up with the core of the current team, but it will be quite a challenge, as it'll be harder to sign new players with competition from the Whyteleafe's Leatherhead's and Tooting's of this world, and they don't have huge amounts of money.

However, they have finished top two three years running and funny deserve the chance, and I'm hoping they do well.