Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Game tonight - 08/09/08

Thought Benfica were technically very good and had enough chances to win game, lacked a bit of organisation which in the end cost them as Hertford took chances that came their way.

Quite how there were still 22 players on pitch when I left is a mystery, this game had it all. Diving, Dissent, some poor tackles, 20 man brawl after game was stopped for treatment with SLeB player pointing as if he was going to return ball to Hertford keeper and then going on mazy run with ball before being taken out, add to this the Portugese fella in stand and his constant moaning.

Hertford didnt deal well enough with 3 in middle for Benfica, the Hertford wide men not helping out at all which should have cost them game with amount of possession SLeB had. Thought the 3 for SLeB was superb, 9 was lively, 8 decent player but the diving and afters he kept getting involved with were his downfall, better ref would have sent him off (as well as few others for both sides). Keeper and defence not great.

Hertford keeper made some good stops but should have done better with goal, 5 was solid and organised well, 10 took goals well but too often was forced to drop deep to help out in middle of park.

Great pitch as always at Hanwell to play on.

Excellent summary, as I would expect from you PB! Think what the game would have been like if those nice FA people hadn't implemented the "Respect" arrangements!

Didn't spot you in the small crowd. The shot for their goal moved a little in the air, but by the time we went home, it had been escalated to "it changed direction loads of times"! The Portuguese guy doing all the shouting was, I think, their chairman. He needs treatment for that problem!

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Forget the match, I was very disappointed with Sjj2112 tonight sleeping with the enemy, namely Lato and Spidermanor who totally blanked me when I attempted to offer an olive branch and pass the time of day, Horace and HTFCew weren't particularly friendly either.

Rhodes, they may be your enemy but they're not mine. I found them to be excellent company and it was a pleasure to meet them. I also found Horace and HTFCew to be very friendly people, and again it was a pleasure to meet them.

It was also a pleasure to make your acquaintance again and I thought we had quite an amicable chat, although by posting the above you seemed to have already forgotten your comment that we "got off on the wrong foot," as you seem determined to have a pop at me at every opportunity. Maybe it is this attitude of yours that causes people to 'blank you' after a few meetings?

No one recognises me with a cap on for some reason????

The best shout from the chairman was when he come out with the english ref line!!!

Was weird evening Sporting subs disappearing to car park at half time, walking round during 2nd half.

Surprised your 10 didnt come and celebrate his goals in front of the Sporting fans/players not involved who were giving him a bit of stick in 2nd half.

Horace: The Portuguese guy doing all the shouting was, I think, their chairman. He needs treatment for that problem!

- He is actually one of the founder members of the club set up in 1981.

PB! Was weird evening Sporting subs disappearing to car park at half time, walking round during 2nd half.

- They were collecting the balls.

Guys no mention of the stamping by the Hertford Captain in the first half on my player while on the floor which only deserved a yellow card? It was the other side of the field, so I'll let you off if you didn't get a good view of it.

From that point on, as he more than deserved to go off the silliness in the game started. We tried to play football and raise above it but found the referee being influenced by the Hertford bench and players.

How referees don't give out cards when players are f'ing in their face I don't know. They should nip it in the bud nice and early.

Originally Posted By: sjj2112
Forget the match, I was very disappointed with Sjj2112 tonight sleeping with the enemy, namely Lato and Spidermanor who totally blanked me when I attempted to offer an olive branch and pass the time of day, Horace and HTFCew weren't particularly friendly either.

Rhodes, they may be your enemy but they're not mine. I found them to be excellent company and it was a pleasure to meet them. I also found Horace and HTFCew to be very friendly people, and again it was a pleasure to meet them.

Likewise a pleasure to meet you. We had an excellent time at what was as previously described a lively game. Also as always a pleasure to meet Horace and HTFCew even if the latter did mistake me for Special One (apparently its the hat that distinguishes me). Good to see SpecialOne again but he was as usual incredibly busy so we didn't really get a chance to chat.

As for rhodes well he arrived with two guys in tow, one I presume was Hector and the other I guess was Bosman. After standing outside for a while wondering how everyone got in, on entering the ground he did mumble almost inaudibly a 'hello Lato' which I replied to even quieter and he also said something to Horace. He did not acknowledge Spider or SJJ2112 and indeed Manorborn and HTFCew who were both there as well. Nor did he introduce his associates to us, one of whom was the legendary Hector Valera who we all wanted our photo taken with! This I presume was the olive branch he offered.

At half time I was of course too busy swigging the vast amounts of alcohol I always drink at football to notice anything around me.

Special I said that how both sides remained with 11 was amazing, the dissent was from both sides, the silliness was from both sides. Wasnt saying it was one sided at all which if you read properly you will see. Referee was poor, lot of niggly fouls early on that he should have got hold of and then rest wouldnt have happened. He could quite easily have sent off 3 or 4 the 5 from HTFC, the 8 from yours and for dissent the 4 from yours as well as the 10 from HTFC.

Originally Posted By: PB!
Special I said that how both sides remained with 11 was amazing, the dissent was from both sides, the silliness was from both sides. Wasnt saying it was one sided at all which if you read properly you will see. Referee was poor, lot of niggly fouls early on that he should have got hold of and then rest wouldnt have happened. He could quite easily have sent off 3 or 4 the 5 from HTFC, the 8 from yours and for dissent the 4 from yours as well as the 10 from HTFC.

And if he had blown for all these 'niggly' fouls he would have been a poor referee for being too officious. druff

Originally Posted By: PB!

I'm not saying you said it was one-sided. What I'm saying is that a precedent has to be set early in the game and 'the stamp' would have been it. Unfortunately, 'the weak' yellow sent out the wrong message. The Hertford boys could get away with it. My SLB boys were going to have to protect themselves, as there was going to be no protection from the ref.

Enough said. I enjoyed the game but it's over. Winslow next. Should be a good one.

Originally Posted By: Lato
Good to see SpecialOne again but he was as usual incredibly busy so we didn't really get a chance to chat.

What a surprise, he should really get more hands on deck other than the eccentric and outspoken founder of the Club who I recall caused trouble at Kentish Town last season.

Also as always a pleasure to meet Horace and HTFCew even if the latter did mistake me for Special One (apparently its the hat that distinguishes me). Good to see SpecialOne again but he was as usual incredibly busy so we didn't really get a chance to chat.

I'm never going to live that one down am I?
Good to meet the Manor boys again, and Special1 and Sjj2112 for the first time.
Sjj2112 - did you do a head count?

As for rhodes well he arrived with two guys in tow, one I presume was Hector and the other I guess was Bosman. After standing outside for a while wondering how everyone got in, on entering the ground he did mumble almost inaudibly a 'hello Lato' which I replied to even quieter and said something to Horace He did not acknowledge Spider or SJJ2112 and indeed Manorborn and HTFCew who were both there as well.

The lack of hat obviously didn't fool him.
We had a guard of honour waiting by the entrance for the special guests, but they were through it so quick I didn't even see them come in.

PB - I looked out for you but the hat was obviously the stumbling block (again).

Good to see SpecialOne again but he was as usual incredibly busy so we didn't really get a chance to chat.

What a surprise, he should really get more hands on deck other than the eccentric and outspoken founder of the Club who I recall caused trouble at Kentish Town last season.

Are you not looking for a new club Mr Rhodes? And you say Sporting need some more hands on deck

I have an idea - Special 1 meet Rhodes, Rhodes meet Special 1

Problem solved and my good deed for the day is completed! smile

Originally Posted By: HTFCew

I'm never going to live that one down am I?
Good to meet the Manor boys again, and Special1 and Sjj2112 for the first time.
Sjj2112 - did you do a head count?

Good to meet you last night HTFCew.

Sorry, I didn't do a head count.

At half time I was of course too busy swigging the vast amounts of alcohol I always drink at football to notice anything around me.

Lato - I approached Sjj2112, Spidermanor and your good self at half time and offered my hand of friendship, I didn't know Manorborn having not previously met him, but only Sjj2112 took the olive branch, I even offered to buy you all a drink so I don't think I could have done anymore. It's a shame there is this un-necessary atmosphere between us as there must have been at least eleven Forum members present last night plus Hector on what was an enjoyable night and we should have made the most of it. Also you didn't announce that you would be coming on this thread yesterday.

Lato - I approached Sjj2112, Spidermanor and your good self at half time and offered my hand of friendship, I didn't know Manorborn having not previously met him, but only Sjj2112 took the olive branch, I even offered to buy you all a drink so I don't think I could have done anymore. It's a shame there is this un-necessary atmosphere between us as there must have been at least eleven Forum members present last night plus Hector on what was an enjoyable night and we should have made the most of it. Also you didn't announce that you would be coming on this thread yesterday.

giggle Ha, ha, methinks your underwear is smouldering again clippy. giggle