Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

My view on the current situation

dukeofmarmalade

I am a Town and E's fan of 20+ years and am really disapointed with the current situation; I know we can't expect to run away with the league each season and we can't have success all the time but, the league was there for the taking this year with AFC SUDBURY and BURY TOWN moving across to the Southern League. The player's brought in are just not up to scratch and the current management team have to walk away now i'm afraid. I'm all for giving people chances and time (ie Fergie @ Man United) but this time I think we have to have a new broom sweeps clean. Get the deadwood out and start again with some fresh ideas. Not all the players are bad obviously and we can keep some for the future.

What worries me about our 1 win in 7 starts (not to mention our terrible display against Hillingdon in the cup) is we've conceeded so many sloppy goals and don't seem to have any spark in the team. We are also yet to meet Brentwood, Waltham Abbey, Wingate & Finchley, Ware and East Thurrock (all teams that are in the top section of the league now its settled down)

An great example of the "league's there for the taking" is seeing Abbey in 2nd place scoring 20 goals (double our poor total)

Whatever happens I can't see the Town finishing about mid-table this year(i don't think we're poor enough to get relegated!) A point someone makes on this forum is that we're staring the ESL in the face. That's not going to happen and can't be allowed to happen. I always back the team on a Saturday and Tuesday but it's getting to a point now where i'd rather stay in on Saturday and watch Channel 4 racing and Sky Sports soccer Saturday. Something i'd never thought i'd say but it's how i feel.

My choice for new manager would be 'Clement Temile' who is currently manager of Kentish Town in the Spartan Premier. They were promoted to the premier last year and are sitting pretty in 4th place with a game in hand. He is well respected at this level of the game. Would he step up to our level? All those thrashing George Borg's name about are living in a dream world but wouldn't it be great!!!!!

I would also like to say i was really disapointed about being knocked out the FA CUP again at such an early stage. I know we're a million miles away from the Halcyon days of Chesterfield, Torquay, Port Vale, Barnsley, Cardiff etc etc but a nice little run to play a Conference side would of been nice. Imagine the excitment of playing Crawley Town away in the 4th Qualfying round (maybe its just me) Even AFC WIMBLEDON at home would of been a good day - CASHBACK!!!!

Here's hoping to a Trophy run and an away tie at Oxford United or Wrexham but first we have to get past the might of Goldaming Town!!! A tough trip!! Who would of thought we'd be saying that 15 years ago.

I'll leave you with my horse racing tip for today (Monday 22nd September 2008). Go for a double of 'Ave' in the 3pm at Kempton and 'No to Trident' in the 3.50 at Leicester.

Thats put the curse on them now and they'll finish last. I had a result of a Leicester and Bury double on Saturday. Any team who plays Barnet at the moment lump on as Barnet are not on form... Could they be coming down again to the Non-League!

Regards everyone,

DUKE OF MARMALADE

I'm not Clement.

I am a genuine Town Fan and E's fan of 20+ year. Just putting some input in about the current situation.. Alot of people have just said get rid of Margolis but have not come up with any viable alternatives.. I did and you reckon its the man himself..Who is available who would manage out club at the moment who wouldn't cost much? <Bobby Davro managed the Queen Vic 5-a-side team to win last week on Eastenders...He might do it>

Seriously, why not look down the leagues abit and go for someone untried at this level?? Can't do any worse than at present an away win at Anfield of the Essex Thameside - Tilbury!

For the record my horse tips were:

Ave 1st @ 5/6 on...This horse will go far.. Look for it next year as a 3 year old.

No to Trident was 2nd.. Looked a winner until final furlong when it tripped slightly and was overtaken by the winnder Redcurrant.

So not bad but not good!!!

I have a few more questions for everyone:

1) Why are people calling for JC to return to the club when he was practibly hounded out last year? Especially by the whinging fan who complains about bloody everything.

2) Should we just be pleased we've got a club to support after the Southbury Road/Laz*ro*/Rodin affair?

3) Who is the best player who has ever played for the Town? I'm going with Andy Hall.

No more questions.

Regards,

Duke

Disagree Steph, Chopper in the first 2/3 seasons was outstanding, maybe at their peak JJ may of been the bettter all round, but whilst playing for Town Chopper gets my vote by a Yorkshire mile, too may times I recall JJ caught in two minds wheather to come or stay for balls.

Best outfield player, as short lived as his time was, for me was Ian Cooper, one of a few players to actually make you expect something to happen when he got the ball.

James Bunn probaly the most gifted player to have pulled a Town shirt on, but never really shone like we knew he could.

Re manager, I have suggested a good replacement...Andy Leese.

Re the horses. I looked at the odds and didn't think it was worth a bet.

Re JC. I don't want him to return. I want all Town fans to remeber a great step 5 manager who guided our club to many trophies and helped to establish the club as a force at the lower end of the non league pyramid.

Re Club to support: YEP!!!

Re Best ever Town player: Sooper kevin Riley by a mile!!!!!!! hi Gazza!!!

Originally Posted By: dukeofmarmalade

1) Why are people calling for JC to return to the club when he was practibly hounded out last year? Especially by the whinging fan who complains about bloody everything.

As a human being never unloved JC. Not sure he is our answer for the future.

With a win ratio of 15% in my book Stewart was only 25% as good as JC. And I thought we gave you Board members a mandate to go find someone better than JC? So when the Board [****!!****] up why can't we winge?

I like the internet as a Forum for opinions and ideas that, for a lot of reasons including 'political correctness', 'not wanting to offend' and fear of confrontation, would not have been expressed in a live setting.

While the interpretation of the ideas and opinions expressed anonymously by 'virtual strangers' is open to some criticism the person reading it or the person concerned should be able to gauge the overall sentiment.

Constructive criticism should always be welcomed.

Well said Wagga, additionally we need folks like southport to stay on board but here i am supporting him when he has been knocked down and thats what his team needs, continuos support and not a kicking when the chips are down.

At the moment we are all thinking what Southport does, but their has to be dignity and constructive decisions and future appointments.

At present the board are looking at failure in their appointment face on, SM has to now pull a few Rabbits out the hat to save the boards and his own reputation as a competent team.

I'm a believer that everyone has that right til either they admit they can't or when the board (the people we vote in) say he can't and enough is enough. It's just my view.

I feel for you too as we are just as bad. The manager has gone now and Stuart Neithercott has been given the post, not sure if its perm or temp depends on results i suppose. Our support has drifted too but they will be back if we start winning just like your lot.

Re manager i watched our reserves lose to Harlow Town last week they looked impressive and there top of our capital league, had young and experience players. Not sure on the manager seemed young but might be worth a look if you decide a change is needed. Waltham Abbey isnt far either try tempting the management over.

Onwards and upwards for our clubs !!!!

Originally Posted By: Sponsor of Beer
Not sure that I follow that. A bizarre team selection that one man made, but was unable to explain/justify & led to ignaminious defeat (against a side that were comfortably beaten last night) led to one man's sacking. Seems like natural justice to me.

So all the poor performances and the bringing in of players were down to just one half of a joint management team?