Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Did this happen?

"Well after travelling once again on another mammoth journey we were met by the most unfriendly officials of any club so far----segregation and not allowed in their clubhouse. The steward at the away end was on her walkie talkie almost the minute we arrived on the terraces and if she could have stopped us from breathing would have felt it was mission accomplished. Not allowed to hang the banners over the wall even. She amost went into an apoplexic shock when the lads stripped down to the waist (a photo of it on their website) although they did step in when a certain person decide his rear end needed some fresh air!!!!!! but it was only a sideways view thank God. On top of that the tannoy was so loud you probably heard it in Barrow. Then at half time they had a policy where we were fenced in by wire netting and a metal gate and we were lined up and only allowed through it to go to the toilet one at a time. This time Mary was first through (after the debacle at Northwich when she wasn't allowed to go at all!!!) but it is undignified when women in their --well lets say autumn? years have to wait for permission (from a lad young enough to be their grandson) to go to the toilet. I was even passed money over this wire fence by their fans to get their drinks from the catering van, the proprietor of which was also complaining about what was going on.

Just be thankful we belong to a club and have fans who extend a warm welcome to visiting supporters and also we have the pleasure of visiting grounds and people like Lewes, Salisbury and Eastbourne who make our long journey's memorable. Ebbsfleet---definitely one to forget."

I am not condoning the moon, by the way, that was wrong.

If the rest is true - truly shocking.

Over to Digitalis for comment.

Well I can't comment on the actions of a specific steward without talking to the Safety Officer.

I can tell you that I had planned the match to be unsegregated.

Then I was given an ultimatum by the police - "segregate, or we police the match and bill you accordingly". So rather than an expensive bill, we sectioned off the away fans. Normally we would provide porta-loos but didn't have time to get some at such short notice, that's why we ended up with the situation re the ladies' toilets.

Unfortunate, but the police insistence was based on intelligence they received. Situations can change very late in the day, although I suspect the fact that, according to the police, there had also been trouble with Barrow's away fans at their last two away matches was a contributing factor to that insistence on segregation or police attendance.

As a rule, I want every match possible to be unsegregated.

The segregation I can understand, not saying I agree with though, just understand why it can be necessary. when travelling away from home, you are taken out of your comfort zone. so any outside interference, or what a away traveller could see as antagonism/bullying or even lack of caring, IE toilets etc can really spoil your day.

Not sure if standing there with your shirt off in mid November is brave or just plain stupid though smile

I don't accept the explanation of the police 'intelligence'. Barrow fans were applauded on to the coach by the Eastbourne fans last week. On the Tamworth webiste they were praised.

Barrow's ground is a bit old school too but everyone is able to go to the toliet. That's an insulting and intolerable situation to be in.

Why was this the only ground in the BSP that banners couldn't be displayed?

My guess is that you didn't think more than 1 or 2 Barrow fans would be there.

Originally Posted By: barrowaberdeen

Why was this the only ground in the BSP that banners couldn't be displayed?

Eh? I have never heard that and have seen loads of banners in the away end from most teams that visit.

I am sorry that yesterday turned out as it did for you as we don't usually hear stories like this one.

I stand corrected on the banners having checked with the lads that took them and seen the photos. However, the rest stands. What frustrates me beyond measure is that stewards in this league always cite 'police information' instead of admitting when they make a mistake. The police, of course, cite safety concerns of the stewards.

Anyway, hopefully a more successful pair of visits next year.

Originally Posted By: barrowaberdeen
What frustrates me beyond measure is that stewards in this league always cite 'police information' instead of admitting when they make a mistake. The police, of course, cite safety concerns of the stewards.

Digitalis, who quotes the police insistence, is not a steward, he is our CEO. You can honestly take it that what he says is a true version of why the game was segregated against our initial wishes & why the toilet situation arose.

I hate it when things like this happen to us on our travels, but we do not set out to treat away fans badly, any more than any club does, though we do sometimes suffer from OSS (Over-zealous Steward Syndrome). We all wish away fans at the Fleet could be safely accommodated under shelter & with unrestricted access to decent toilets & a bar before the game & at half time.

However, if the police say we have to segregate, we have to do what they say - we cannot even go for the half way house we've run on occasions in the past, where away fans are allowed in the bar & then directed to the away end. If we'd done this & then something had kicked off, the police would have been down on us like a ton of bricks & probably insisted on a presence at all future games.

well UG.....here's a question that needs an answer....you have a conference grading at ebbs and that grading calls for the ability to segregate at all times whilst providing away fans with the facilities required by the fa ground grading committee...(food.. drink (not alcohol) cover and toilet facilities) so the police said segregate at the last minute...no ones disputing that.....

so why couldn't you within your ground grading requirements..?

I think you will find we are within the rules, but we all wish it was better.

1. There was access to toilets - but admittedly in a less than ideal fashion yesterday. Normally there would have been portaloos as David explained. These are nobody's 1st choice, but that's what we got at Aldershot & they are now in the Football League.

2. Away supporeetrs always have their own catering truck.

3. If it rains, or the weather is otherwise inclement, we direct away supporters into the section of the main seated stand which is closest to the away end.

Originally Posted By: Unrecognized Genius
I think you will find we are within the rules, but we all wish it was better.

1. There was access to toilets - but admittedly in a less than ideal fashion yesterday. Normally there would have been portaloos as David explained. These are nobody's 1st choice, but that's what we got at Aldershot & they are now in the Football League.
2. Away supporeetrs always have their own catering truck.
3. If it rains, or the weather is otherwise inclement, we direct away supporters into the section of the main seated stand which is closest to the away end.

not good enough and in breech of the rules....away supporters must have toilet facilities for male and female...covered areas and food and beverage...

the lack of facilities is not the issue here really...its you guys defending the lack of...

I seem to have started something here with my post on the Barrow forum. I wish to make clear I didn't say we couldn't display our flags only the positioning, and fair play if they were covering your adverts (let's face it we all need the money from these). I stand by my other comments though as I was one of the three elderly ladies who had to wait to be let through the gate for the toilet but acting as waitress for your fans whilst doing so---mean B's never even tipped me either even though I was serving them extreme discomfort.

I find it hard to conceive how fans are going to build up a rapport etc if segregation is in place as we get on well with fans from the grounds we have visited. One of the ladies has been going to away matches for 30 years and has stated she will not visit Ebbsfleet again which is a great shame.

Anyway I will wish you all the best for the rest of the season and your team deserved the win yesterday.

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin

not good enough and in breech of the rules....away supporters must have toilet facilities for male and female...covered areas and food and beverage...

the lack of facilities is not the issue here really...its you guys defending the lack of...

Not defending it, but not sure how many other Conference grounds ensure the away beverage facilities are covered...? Not that many I've been to certainly.

Toilets probably no excuse so one that needs to improve.

UU - do you trawl every board in the Conference to check their facilities are up to scratch however?

Originally Posted By: Stu M
Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin

Not defending it, but not sure how many other Conference grounds ensure the away beverage facilities are covered...? Not that many I've been to certainly.

Toilets probably no excuse so one that needs to improve.

UU - do you trawl every board in the Conference to check their facilities are up to scratch however?

what other grounds do is irrelevant...but I do have an interest in ebbs through my myfc membership so does that exclude me from comment stu?...surely I have the same rights as you do to comment on here....smile

nice to see harry back again...