Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Billericay 0-1 Horsham

Simon BTFC

Hmmm - Hair splittin methinks - alltime low vs dreadful performance ?

They really were a poor side - one of the worst made to look good by our lacking.

I stated earlier about getting behind players re the Shavey critics BUT that doesn't excuse performances like yesterday's.

Maybe Garry Hill could help ?

Splitting hairs. Now, I really can't take you seriously.

I believe the NLP has reported that Gary Hill has said he wants a rest from football.

And why would we want to employ him? We have the position filled.

And by making your suggestion would suggest that both of you have no cencept of forward planning or the future of the club beyond the end of the season...or how the club works.

Buy keep on going because we could do with a laugh.

The plan could be to have a good season in the league cup and win it.. Never know..

I don't think we will get relegated.. We have many games in hand over the bottom 4 clubs.. Then saying that.. Football is a funny game.. Anything can happen between now and the end of the season.

Paul...relegation. Now we know where you're going with your arguement.

The "plan" as you so put it, is as Steve Kent's blog of last week. We have a budget to compete. Sometimes the best laid plans don't come to fruitition. Not to, "knee jerk" in getting in say, Gary Hill (or any other manager), to "gamble" on finishing on higher. What do you think a new manager acheive with a budget that has been all ready allocated? Not a lot from what I can see. But that only tells half the story.

With the financial climate being what it is, clubs at our level (and higher) are going to feel the pinch. The way the playing side of the club has been set up is not just with the focus on the first team but also in developing players through the under 18's and the reserves. This, hopefully, will give up a base to bring in some talent through to the first team and maybe have us competeing for honours in seasons to come. And we do have some talented players coming through (albeit not yet ready yet). I may be doing Gary Hill a diservice (and I may be wrong) but I can't remember a team or a club where he did that. It's a survival game for clubs at our level and one that our club has been set up to avoid thanks to the Chairman. Lets face it, how many teams have we seen "buy" success, only to see them implode when the man with the cash disapear and the club start again, at best in Ryman 1 South, at worst Essex Senior League. Of course, if that is what you want, feel free to voice your opinion for that case. Jason and Grant work hard not on just the first team but they also work with the youth and reserves for the future of the club. And, once again, we do have some very good players coming through. It's called building for the future. Also, I want a football club to support. What do you think will happen to, and lets be topical, Chelmsford, if the people putting the cash into the club just "have enough" and goes? Buying success is just not sustainable.

So we are looking at mid table mediocrity this season? I don't know, I am not blessed your crystal ball. We have plenty of games to go through until the end of the season. We also have a League Cup campaign. We're in the quarter finals with a great game tomorrow against Dover. At present we're two games off the final.

What the answer is I really don't know but not giving the two in charge a fair crack of the whip (remember Alex Fergusons first season with Man U - they almost got relegated) is pretty short sighted in my veiw. Considering over the past four of seasons we have changed managers 3 times, I would think a little consistancy and giving them a chance to realise their vision would be a benefit to the club (IMO).

Personally, I am just as frustrated as most of you but I am not willing to "jump off the deep end" just to satisfy a short term fix.

I have given myself a day or so to calm down so I don't post another grenade like posting, but I am sure I will upset some with my post anyway.

Saturday was again another awful performance in what has been a season of so many awful performances. I completely agree that this performance was by no means an all time low, Ashford takes that accolade for me.I do however think that on the entertainment and team play front things continue to deteriorate. The lack of team work, interest and passion from the majority of players, in my view just shows how little the management must inspire our team.

How many times have people around the club said, "we have the players to compete we just need a fully fit sqaud and the right tactics". Well we have the majority of our players back fit and still we don't compete.

I agree that knee jerk reactions are not what a club needs but I think the Chairman showed he wasn't that type of man after the Ashford game, when many would have chopped the manager then. Since then I think the management have had plenty of time to build on their vision, and lets be honest this vision isn't looking very impressive from any view.

Finally I don't think I am alone at realising that Horsham were one place below us at the start of play on Saturday and could have won by a much bigger margin at our home if it wasn't for Tucker. I don't know if changing the management team is the perfect solution but am worried that we will just sit tight and hope for the best and then we wont have the 6 point cushion from relagation.

Fair point made well Gazza & I admire your loyalty - I really hope it isn't misplaced. Knee jerk reactions often don't work but change often does & we should embrace that. Are we a club with ambition or is Status Quo what we want ?(how weird is that - Roll Over Lay Down is on the radio - Honest !!)

Paul, I fully appreciate that the performances have been frustrating and that (some) supporters want success and then some. The facts are that success has to be sustainable. So where do we draw the line? Do we buy it? If we do, where is the line drawn...Conference? Fair enough but is that sustainable with our "potential" support base. I can tell you that it costs to go up...even to the BSS. Are people prepared to "wedge" out the additional cost? Will our support base grow that large to sustain a mediocre performance in the BSS? If we go up, I would like us to stay there and be as competitive as we we have been in the Ryman League over the past seasons.

We are a club with ambition and from my conversations with Steve Kent, Jason and Grant, they are ambitious but the best laid plans don't always go the way we want them. Like I said, the club has plans in place to maintain our present level of football and then some if those players that are coming up are hungry enough. And watching them last Wednesday, I would confirm they are.

When we came 2nd with Justin Edingburgh we had a young side with a couple of experienced players...people would say the spine of the team. Because the team was young and hungry, they played for themselves as well as the club. In my opinion, I would not be surprised if we went that way next season. Again, I can see the frustration of talking about next season but who knows what will happen this season. You never know, we may still make the League Cup Final.

As for the Status Quo. No, I don't think we should accept it but some things take time. Supporters are by nature impatient and I can understand that and when success does happen, and I believe it will, it will be all the more sweeter. And all the more sweeter because we did it by our own means.

As for your comment regarding Status Quo. If this club are looking to be as succesful as the group, then I'll put up with 40 years at the top, with hits in five decades...not a bad performance for a group that allegedly only know three chords (it's them that are laughing...all the way to the bank).

You obviously know the management team a lot better than most & I respect your judgement of them & I'm sure they have the club's best interest at heart. Sure it takes time effort (& money !) but I always get a feeling with BTFC that we will 'stay as we are' - We get good support & I'm not sure why we don't get more (a lot of it is 'it's only non-league' mentality but I believe that is & will change for the better). We all know the Premiereship is vastly overrated & expensive but there are diehards that will put up with crap no matter what.

We're kinda similar/ equivalent to dear ol West Ham - They're never gonna be a 'big' club BUT they always get good support with the occassional run - equally puzzling.

It IS frustrating & I sure don't know what the answer is - If I did I would be manager !

However I do know that we seem to attract one or two excellent players & can play some good football so why for example do we persist in the long high ball to our small upfront players ? Guess we can go on about this forever & still agree to disagree.

Yeh & I DO agree - don't knock the Quo - If it ain't broke, don't fix it !

I liked your comment about our support Paul.

However, eventhough we have a big following of supporters at the club it always seems a bit quiet nowadays. At the start of last season, and all previous seasons our supporters would be singing and shouting their heads off, motivating the supporters, encouraging them to play well, and acting like a 12th man.

The atmosphere at some games now seems really dull, no singing, not as much shouting, and we don't act as a 12th man to the squad, no helping to motivate the players, a bit like Chelmsford City..

Eventhough we don't get the right results and sometimes don't perform very well.. I think we should still be singing and shouting and helping the players in every way and maybe it will motivate the players more.

Some very interesting opinions here, however the most crucial thing in the quest to get success is how much you are prepared to spend to get it. our club has long taken the view that expenditure should be sustainable and eventually covered by the income generated by the club from gate receipts, sponsorship, events and bar/clubhouse income. Currently we are still a long way off this target and i wonder with the current economic climate where next years income will come from. If you want the club to be successful and have the flair players who are good to watch and help win games then try spending more time contacting potential sponsors or advertisers and convince them that this is a great club to back with very strong community links. before anyone says it no we dont want a here today gone tommmorrow cash cow but a number of long term investors who see the success of the club as a good advert to Billericay and their company or product. Give it a go, instead of arguing on here, spend some of your computer time e mailing companies, your boss or any other source of income you can think of to try and get more corporate interest in the club.

YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU!!1

I completely agree with Delboy and would happily help with targetting local companies to assist financially through sponsorship etc.

I actually look after a load of Commercial/Corporate businesses soley in the Essex area through work and so if two or three others wish to get together over the next couple of weeks with the Chairman I would happily bring along my contacts and help to work out a strategy to get the money rollling in!!!

I will however still be able to have the occasional dig on here though wont I?

Hang on ! I'll get on the phone to Obama - He'll surely bale us out

PS I go to watch matches & hopefully (?) enjoy them - I pay my entrance fee for that 'privilege' & occasionally comment here. I don't feel 'obliged' therefore to provide any direct or indirect financial assistance - Best leave that to you professionals & martyrs alike !

Originally Posted By: Dilbert
5 hours since your post Del you must have had an avalanche of requests to help from Paul B. Upda. Clarkey Boy, The Patriot Coach et 64 etc or is it Silence is Golden ?

Why have you singled out these people to ask?

I'm sure many of those and others will be delighted to do whatever can be done on encouraging corporate input.
I personally am not sure what I can do, so could you please embellish on what you have been able to do so far to give me some ideas?

Originally Posted By: Patriot
I will however still be able to have the occasional dig on here though wont I?

Who could you possibly aim a dig at on here??

Originally Posted By: Barry_T
Who could you possibly aim a dig at on here??

evil

Now that did make me chuckle.

But i do agree with the initial post,
As much as we are all big hearted supporters we should only ever be looking to help better the club, And if that is selling some adverts in the programme or an advert board on the side of the pitch I'm sure those people who run the club would welcome the income in these harsh times.