Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Aung San Suu Kyi

Aung San Suu Kyi has stated that Burma's elections this weekend will be neither free nor fair because of widespread irregularities however she will still press forward with her candidacy for the sake of the Country. You have to admire her determination if nothing else as clearly she doesn't have a cat in hell's chance of winning the election in a million years:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/30/aung-san-suu-kyi-burmese-elections?newsfeed=true

clearly she doesn't have a cat in hell's chance of winning the election in a million years

Notch up another one Rhodes can't predict.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I'm chuffed to bits with her win.

HOWEVER...................

I can't help feeling she may now be a major target for assassination !!

Think Pakistan !

and she will surely be lucky to survive until Christmas if she continues her ridiculous fight against the no nonsense Burmese regime

Big JR - That's what I said from day one (see above), she's certainly not doing herself any favours is she

I notice our Political Correspondent for the Far East has gone very quiet.

In 1997 the lenient Burmese Military authorities kindly offered to allow Aung San Suu Kyi to travel to the UK to see her husband Aris who was gravely ill with prostate cancer however she refused for fear of not being allowed back into Burma, he bravely hung on and she had plenty of opportunities to visit him but he eventually died in March 1999. What sort of woman must she be!

I see that, by coincidence, David Cameron is currently in Burma and is meeting with Aung San Suu Kyi in Rangoon ‘as we speak’, the meeting is sure to set the cat amongst the pigeons and ruffle feathers so watch this space:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2012/apr/13/david-cameron-aung-sang-suu-kiyi-live

I cannot for the life of me understand what all the fuss is about over Burmese Human Rights 'do gooder' Aung San Suu Kyi who is ludicrously being compared to Nelson Mandela. Suu Kyi was released from house arrest on Friday after a lenient seven years however twice before, in 1996 and 2002, she was released from house arrest only to immediately resume her totally pointless and fruitless campaigning for democracy and was unsurprisingly detained again by the authorities shortly afterwards. There was even an attempt on her life in 2003 when armed Military representatives attacked her convoy on a road near Mandalay and she will surely be lucky to survive until Christmas if she continues her ridiculous fight against the no nonsense Burmese regime.

Nelson mandela is a convicted terrorist. A Militant and activist who was arrested for sabotage. He is still named on the USA's terrorist list. He seems to be everyones Fav Grandad nowadays.. Do not compare this fool with Suu Ky young Mr Rhodes.

I just think that David Cameron made a grave mistake in meeting Aung San Suu Kyi let alone cordially inviting her to visit London

• 1 month later...

I see that incredibly Aung San Suu Kyi will receive a belated honorary doctorate from Oxford University during a week long trip to these shores next month following a spur of the moment and an ill advised invitation by David Cameron during his recent visit to Burma. Suu Kyi was handed the civil law acolade by Oxford in 1993 but was unable to receive it in person due to her refusal to leave Burma despite being given permission to travel by the authorities similar to when she heartlessly failed to travel to the UK in 1997 to see her prostate cancer stricken husband Aris who was dying of the disease.

It would be 'criminal' if Aung San Suu Kyi were allowed to address both Houses of Parliament in Westminster Hall when she visits the UK later this month. David Cameron and William Hague believe that she should however Leader of the Lords, Baron Strathclyde, and Black Rod, Lt. Gen. David Leakey, rightly think it would be totally inappropriate. The likes of Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, Emperor Haile Selassie, Francois Mitterand, Jacques Chirac, Nicolas Sarkozy and Nikita Khrushchev all addressed both Houses from the Royal Gallery, as far as I'm aware only Nelson Mandela and Barak Obama have given addresses in Westminster Hall so why on earth should Suu Kyi do likewise.

Poor Rhodesy. Suu Kyi getting too much attention for your liking?

That naughty David Cameron eh? Backed up by Hague too...whatever next?

• 2 weeks later...

I see that incredibly Aung San Suu Kyi finally made it to Oslo to collect her Nobel Peace Prize albeit 21 years late, what a farcical situation!:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2160237/Aung-San-Suu-Kyi-finally-accepts-Nobel-Peace-Prize-won-21-years-ago-house-arrest.html?ITO=socialnet-twitter-mailonline

Isn't that obvious, besides, the Norwegian Nobel Committee have been strongly criticised in the past for choosing controversial people as winners of the Peace Prize such as Menachem Begin, Woodrow Wilson, Yasser Arafat, Henry Kissinger and Cordell Hull as well as Aung San Suu Kyi, even Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini and Joseph Stalin have been nominated which says it all and Mahatma Gandhi, although rightly nominated several times, never won.

Edited by Rhodes

If it was obvious then I wouldn't have had to ask.

So, again, in your opinion (and not some cut and paste job from an obscure website), why do you think Aung San Suu Kyi winning the Nobel Peace Prize is farcical?

Not farcical in my book.

She was placed under house arrest for years and years by a repressive dictatorial regime !

A NPP is the very LEAST she deserves.

Edited by Big J R

It gets worse folks if that's possible, Aung San Suu Kyi meeting the so called 'Hairy Cornflake' today in London and Bono jumping on the bandwagon:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2161408/Aung-San-Suu-Kyi-meets-Hairy-Cornflake-Dave-Lee-Travis-helped-survive-years-house-arrest-BBC-World-Service-broadcasts.html

Sjj2112 - I thought that I had answered, I don't believe someone should win a Nobel Peace Prize if they can't travel to Oslo to collect it in person and the win should have been made null and void!