Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tragic news Winslow United lad Alex Lawes killed in terrible accident

Winslow United Football Club are shocked and saddened to have learned that Winslow lad Alex Lawes has been involved in a tragic accident and has subsequently passed away. Alex Lawes played for the club for a number of years and represented Winslow at youth, reserve and first team levels. Winslow United Football Club would like to offer their condolences to the friends and family of Alex 'Asbo' Lawes.

A thoroughly lovely, genuine and top lad. Cracking player blighted by injury, fierce in the tackle and a real winner.

Awful news, very sad. Best wishes to his family and the club.

At only 22 it seems even worse. His parents have bravely donated his organs one of the recipients being a 9 year old boy so Alexs fighting spirit is passed on to others to get a 2nd chance.

Thanks lads your comments are appreciated. Craig we are hoping to do a silence and black arm bands for the semi I think our chairman will be in touch to check this with you guys. Hopefully it will be a full blooded game the sort Alex would have relished incredibly hard aggressive but of course fair.

Thanks lads your comments are appreciated. Craig we are hoping to do a silence and black arm bands for the semi I think our chairman will be in touch to check this with you guys. Hopefully it will be a full blooded game the sort Alex would have relished incredibly hard aggressive but of course fair.

that will be no problem what so ever mate anything else we can help with just say .

Very sad news indeed

A tribute to Alex Lawes:

It’s difficult to put into words Alex’s infectious attitude towards the club but he was someone who was 100 per-cent Winslow United.

Alex played for Richard Warner’s under 18’s in 2005/06 when I initially ran the Reserves. When the 1st team manager of the time left, I lost a few players to the 1st team, so I asked Richard which of his players could step up into men’s football and he suggested Alex without a moment’s hesitation.

It was the start of a good relationship between Alex and some of the more senior players amongst us who recognised in Alex something of our younger selves - someone who cared deeply for the club and would always give their all. Alex, despite the gap in years, soon became ‘one of us’, a regular reserve team player who fitted in seamlessly with the banter that is part of changing room life. It helped that he was the son of a Winslow legend, Pete Lawes, but in truth it was also his honesty, humour and absolute commitment to the cause that endeared him to us older players as well as the younger lads.

If things were going against us then it was Alex who would frequently drag us along with uncompromising attitude and familiar yell of ‘come on WINSLOW’. Whether it was stopping the opposition from playing, driving on the team when the chips were down or celebrating a victory, Al was always at the forefront of things. By the same token, if he made a mistake he was the first person to hold his hands up and be big enough to say sorry – something that a lot of footballers find hard to do.

He’d been struggling with a knee injury over the past couple of years and hadn’t played as much as any of us would have liked. His last game was prior to Christmas at the Gate when we beat Wicken, 3-2. In typical fashion he’d thrown himself fully into the game making a number of crunching tackles and as a result was limping around by half-time. As we were walking towards the changing room for the half-time break he told me that his knee was hurting and that he might have to come off. I asked him if he could carry on as he was doing so well and of course, as was typical of him, he said he would. Within 5 minutes of the restart his knee had gone but as I ran on with the ‘magic sponge’ he was insisting that I let him run it off – typical of the man.

Alex will be sadly missed by all of us at the club. He leaves some fond memories of someone who could always be relied on to give his all, to rally his team-mates and to carry the team through those more difficult moments in a game but more importantly of being a thoroughly honest, good and funny lad.

Rest in peace mate from all at Winslow United.

Very very sorry to hear this tragic news,my thoughts and all those from Haringey Borough are with Alex,his family.and all those connected with Winslow United Football Club,very very sad xx