Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hartley Wintney v Guernsey 9/8/11

Smudge

can't add too much to what already been said. The referee was the same joker who did the camberley v sandhurst game last season. How he gets these big games I don't know. The dismissal was harsh to everyone in the ground and he could not get his card out quick enough. The refs say we should stop watching the pro game, but so should this guy. How our other centre half stayed on I don't know. We were fearing the worst.

We didn't let Guernsey get into a rhythm in the first half and but for their goalie, we would have been comfortably in front. Guernsey kept hitting the ball long and our centre halves dealt with it comfortably most of the time. The sending off changed the game and swung it in Guernsey's favour but we didn't give up. The deliberate hand ball which led to the equalizing goal went unpunnished. Pleased with point, but with 11 men I would have fancied us to win it.

On a final note, the young Guernsey goalie is unlikily to be playing Saturday which is a shame as he had a great game and played as if he was older than 16. He was upset after the game which is a shame considering how well he played. I did my best to console him. He has a bright future IMO.

Just got back from the game

Bright start by Guernsey in pening few minutes but Hartley got on ttop and controlled the first half. Keeper made a great couple of saves but was deservedly beaten just before the break. Guernsey were poor and after all donkeys claims of the the best footballing side ever all i saw was an average side who loved a long ball

Second half and Hartley were down to ten within seconds when Chris Patterson was sent off for being the last man.Very harsh as they were two men coming over to cover. Guernsey to their credit decided to start playing football and are not a bad side- certainly no worldbeaters or 'Ryman side' as their opponents who got stuffed Saturday claimed. Ross Allen came off the bench and scored with his first touch, Guernsey very much on top and were awarded a penalty. Now this should have been a red card but ref gave a yellow so probably justice down. Either way the ref wanted to be the star of the show all night and was your typical 'sat night match of the day 'ref' who tried to mimick the body actionsof his heroes in the premiership. I've noticed a few of these at our level and i hope they do get marked down for it. Guernsey should have wrapped the game up but keeper pulled off some great saves and right at the death Hartley equalised through a 30 yard free kick from Willow. On balance of play very deserved. Hartley have some excellent players particually Coventy ( is that his name ?) the two lads up top and the left back.

Guernsey look a decent side and will no doubt be up there- I think they are suspect at the back and it definitley wont be a walk in the park as one or two excitable kids on here think

Think that is spot on NLN I thought that the hartney 11 was a very good young player.

I came away thinking that both teams can be beaten but how many changes did Guernsey make from sat game changed when Allen came on they went 3 up top and looked very good

Just got back from the game

Bright start by Guernsey in pening few minutes but Hartley got on ttop and controlled the first half. Keeper made a great couple of saves but was deservedly beaten just before the break. Guernsey were poor and after all donkeys claims of the the best footballing side ever all i saw was an average side who loved a long ball

Second half and Hartley were down to ten within seconds when Chris Patterson was sent off for being the last man.Very harsh as they were two men coming over to cover. Guernsey to their credit decided to start playing football and are not a bad side- certainly no worldbeaters or 'Ryman side' as their opponents who got stuffed Saturday claimed. Ross Allen came off the bench and scored with his first touch, Guernsey very much on top and were awarded a penalty. Now this should have been a red card but ref gave a yellow so probably justice down. Either way the ref wanted to be the star of the show all night and was your typical 'sat night match of the day 'ref' who tried to mimick the body actionsof his heroes in the premiership. I've noticed a few of these at our level and i hope they do get marked down for it. Guernsey should have wrapped the game up but keeper pulled off some great saves and right at the death Hartley equalised through a 30 yard free kick from Willow. On balance of play very deserved. Hartley have some excellent players particually Coventy ( is that his name ?) the two lads up top and the left back.

Guernsey look a decent side and will no doubt be up there- I think they are suspect at the back and it definitley wont be a walk in the park as one or two excitable kids on here think

Think that is spot on NLN I thought that the hartney 11 was a very good young player.

I came away thinking that both teams can be beaten but how many changes did Guernsey make from sat game changed when Allen came on they went 3 up top and looked very good

I agree the report sums the game up well.

Thought Hartley looked a good side and Guernsey obviously have some very good players as well.

Should be a very interesting season.

Edited by danielpjn

Sounds like it was a good game last night and a good reminder to GFC that this league and its opponents should not be taken lightly - I'd assume from what I've read that there may be 6 or 7 sides like HW who will give Guernsey a decent game and quite possibly take points off them.

Re - attendance, my brother who lives in the big smoke (quite apt at the moment sadly) was at the game and he reckoned there were approaching 50 who could be considered part of a Guernsey contingent, either ex pats or those who had links with the island living in London or the south east, and maybe 10 who travelled across from Guernsey. He thought total attendance 250-300.

Good entertainment, lots of new friends to be made and another small step on the learning curve.

It also sounds like the opposition weren't quite as bothered about the Guernsey boys' manners as Knaphill were and perhaps gave Guernsey a taste of what's to come in terms of physicality, aggression and fight.

To be fair, I think the actual team and coaches respect the other teams. Knowing the coaches and some players they are pretty good people. There are one or two posters on here that have been quite disgraceful in their lack of respect for people we should be making friends with.

went to the hartley w game last night and nice to see so many CCL1 fans dow there.

having watched a few pre-season CCL1 games (one team in particular) i thought that both teams last night played well but wouldnt say they particularly looked like league contenders. Obviously football is one of those games where anything can happen and only time will tell.

Guernsey looked average in the first half with HW looking stronger, a few changes at half time and a stupid sending off for HW saw guernsey pick up the pace.

HW keeper played well but so did guernseys, it could of been a much higher score if it wasnt for both chaps in the sticks.

the atmosphere was a little quiet though compared to what i'm used to at our home games.

allen made the change for guernsey though and sticking 3 up top made the difference, i think the slope on the pitch didnt help guernsey as they are obviously partial to a flat pitch, but this is what this league and level is all about! which could test guensey.

To be fair, I think the actual team and coaches respect the other teams. Knowing the coaches and some players they are pretty good people. There are one or two posters on here that have been quite disgraceful in their lack of respect for people we should be making friends with.

I don't know if this is aimed at me but I have never disrespected anyone on this forum apart from one guy who called me a Kent so I called him a Kent back ! lol

I have been bullish about us finishing in the top 3 but I'm just being confident in my team. Lets face it we haven't entered this league to stay in it. We want to progress up through the leagues if we can. From what I've seen of our side over the last few years and what we have acheived in the Island games and the FA Regional Cup I honestly believe we should be good enough to finish top 3. What wrong with saying that ?

I also think we will be beaten a few times away as we often will be taking a weakened squad and playing on poor surfaces which won't suit us. So we must make our home form count.

There is one particular poster who has overstepped the mark. Can you name the 1 or 2 people who lack respect to clear this up as I believe I've done nothing wrong.

If I'm one of them can you back that up with evidence ? I think not !