Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hartley Wintney v Guernsey 9/8/11

Smudge

Well I'm not sure who won the bet really. I wasn't just backing Hartley because it was against Guernsey, I really have been backing them this season after what I heard against Fleet. So bad lucy Guernsey not shouting your mouths of now are we.

GD you do know that every team in this league has someone on this forum. You are making Guernsey out to be a big time bunch of Kents !! Everyone is going to raise their game when they play you. If I was on the guernsey board I would tell you to tone it down as you are giving your club a bad name. You personally are making alot of people dislike guernsey. You are " leagues above anyone in this league" so according to that statement the extra time added on shouldn't have made a difference as you should have had the game won by 5 or 6 goals !!

GD you do know that every team in this league has someone on this forum. You are making Guernsey out to be a big time bunch of Kents !! Everyone is going to raise their game when they play you. If I was on the guernsey board I would tell you to tone it down as you are giving your club a bad name. You personally are making alot of people dislike guernsey. You are " leagues above anyone in this league" so according to that statement the extra time added on shouldn't have made a difference as you should have had the game won by 5 or 6 goals !!

I have never said "we are leagues above anyone in this league" you are mistaking me for another poster, so can you please edit that out of your post please.

I am confident in my team that is all and I expect us to finish top 3 and get promoted. Whats wrong with getting behind my team and being ambitious ?

Also you are coming over as a Kent for your personal attack on me so its a case of the pot calling the kettle black

ok. 1st, well done Hartley Wintney for sneaking a point at the end. it was never a sending off although the peno should have been. poor decisions by the referee for both. swings and roundabouts and all that

so the Guernsey myth.................. good side. will win most if not all home games as they will be able to get the ball down and play there. will not win anywhere near as many away unless its on carpets like eversley etc.....

Very beatable. Hartley pressured them and made them look ordinary for the first 50 mins til the sending off (which was very very harsh imo), they dont cope very well under pressure and with a bit of physicality so if most sides are fit and close them down quick a result is there for the taking.

some good players and some poorer ones. big fella up top is decent and the sub that came on and scored (allen) had more in 20 mins than the others in 70!

skipper at the back is decent but not big enough and strong enough to cope with a good forward, his partner is bigger but very poor. The 8 and the 4 (zico) in midfield were ordinary, nice touches but poor and disinterested under pressure. finally the little right winger is good, floats around and has good feet.

i fancy Guernsey to be up there if not winning it as they will score more than most teams but they will not dominate away from home as they will at home.

overall, i expected more and i imagine when they get used to this league they will learn to find a way of playing that will get them results away from home.

GG, Donkey ...... Welcome to div 1! Now this is where the season starts. Maybe you can see why posters on here got so annoyed with disrespect shown to the league. You have tougher challenges on tougher pitches. You won't Piss this league!! Good luck and put this matter to bed!!

GG, Donkey ...... Welcome to div 1! Now this is where the season starts. Maybe you can see why posters on here got so annoyed with disrespect shown to the league. You have tougher challenges on tougher pitches. You won't Piss this league!! Good luck and put this matter to bed!!

I never said "we would piss this league" ! it was Guernsey Guru that said that !

Don't tar me with the Guru brush !

Just got back from the game

Bright start by Guernsey in pening few minutes but Hartley got on ttop and controlled the first half. Keeper made a great couple of saves but was deservedly beaten just before the break. Guernsey were poor and after all donkeys claims of the the best footballing side ever all i saw was an average side who loved a long ball

Second half and Hartley were down to ten within seconds when Chris Patterson was sent off for being the last man.Very harsh as they were two men coming over to cover. Guernsey to their credit decided to start playing football and are not a bad side- certainly no worldbeaters or 'Ryman side' as their opponents who got stuffed Saturday claimed. Ross Allen came off the bench and scored with his first touch, Guernsey very much on top and were awarded a penalty. Now this should have been a red card but ref gave a yellow so probably justice down. Either way the ref wanted to be the star of the show all night and was your typical 'sat night match of the day 'ref' who tried to mimick the body actionsof his heroes in the premiership. I've noticed a few of these at our level and i hope they do get marked down for it. Guernsey should have wrapped the game up but keeper pulled off some great saves and right at the death Hartley equalised through a 30 yard free kick from Willow. On balance of play very deserved. Hartley have some excellent players particually Coventy ( is that his name ?) the two lads up top and the left back.

Guernsey look a decent side and will no doubt be up there- I think they are suspect at the back and it definitley wont be a walk in the park as one or two excitable kids on here think

Bright start by Guernsey in pening few minutes but Hartley got on ttop and controlled the first half. Keeper made a great couple of saves but was deservedly beaten just before the break. Guernsey were poor and after all donkeys claims of the the best footballing side ever all i saw was an average side who loved a long ball

Second half and Hartley were down to ten within seconds when Chris Patterson was sent off for being the last man.Very harsh as they were two men coming over to cover. Guernsey to their credit decided to start playing football and are not a bad side- certainly no worldbeaters or 'Ryman side' as their opponents who got stuffed Saturday claimed. Ross Allen came off the bench and scored with his first touch, Guernsey very much on top and were awarded a penalty. Now this should have been a red card but ref gave a yellow so probably justice down. Either way the ref wanted to be the star of the show all night and was your typical 'sat night match of the day 'ref' who tried to mimick the body actionsof his heroes in the premiership. I've noticed a few of these at our level and i hope they do get marked down for it. Guernsey should have wrapped the game up but keeper pulled off some great saves and right at the death Hartley equalised through a 30 yard free kick from Willow. On balance of play very deserved. Hartley have some excellent players particually Coventy ( is that his name ?) the two lads up top and the left back.

Guernsey look a decent side and will no doubt be up there- I think they are suspect at the back and it definitley wont be a walk in the park as one or two excitable kids on here think

I'm excitable mate but not a kid ( I have 2 kids ! ).

Going by this result I fully expect Hartley Whitney to go up with us. It sounds like they have some decent players.

... agreed with most of the longer-standing CCL views above - personally thought Guernsey looked a bit leggy and slightly shocked in the first half on occasions when Hartley really had a go at them - shaking off some travel weariness p'raps.

I'm sure they'll improve once they get into a routine for away games - starting off with a Midweek fixture was bound to be slightly more gruelling. A lot of sides much closer to Hartley than Guernsey look knackered playing away of a midweek and they've only had to go a few miles down the road. :frown:

Came out in their proper kit 2nd half and appeared to be a different team - much fitter and faster around the pitch and started to win the ball far more in midfield especially. Maybe the kit arriving gave them a psychological boost.

Sub that came on and scored both goals looked very lively indeed - definitely a class above STEP06 - but then he was doing a lot of running against a side with 10 men.

Also thought straight Red was a bit harsh - lad was through but had two defenders either side and an onrushing KP. Equally the non-Red for the pen was fortuituos the other way.

In general thought HW caused a lot of their own problems - 'Willo' (or as he'll always be known to us Royals - 'Skittles') looked overrun late on and given a safe option available I'm sure Nev might have subbed him?

Lucky for him he didn't : as up he stepped to wind the clock back a decade and a bit and bury the free-kick. :grin:

Took my young lad who was flagging a bit by the end but was livened up by the finish - with chances thick and fast at both ends.

Point probably just fair - Guernsey had several late chances to put the game to bed but @ 1-2 were still vulnerable to a Hartley side who plugged away to the death. I wonder what Guernsey would have made of 'Razor' had he still been at Hartley - he'd have loved a game like this surely?

... am I right in thinking he's now playing down the road @ Eversley - so maybe they will 'have the pleasure' after all? :smilewinkgrin:

Finally a big well done for Hartley for making the effort for a nice set up for Guernsey's first visit - good programme too and the club looked well spruced up. Hope the visitors enjoyed that - if not the result?

Anyone know the crowd - I counted about 220 odd at the start.

A good result for the first away game, more than happy with 2-2 afterall it is a learning curve for alot of these players and surely a step up from the football that most of the guernsey squad are used to playing at.

much appreciate the reviews from people at the match, I followed what i could on twitter tonight but its good to hear the different opinions from people there.

Accurate report there NLN

I agree the pen incident was a stonewall sending off. But like you said the first sending off was very harsh indeed and allowed Guernsey back into the game. They actually looked good passing the ball around rather than long ball tactics.

Think there is a lot more to this league, my only concern would be how poor are Knaphill? Obviously we just have to play the long ball against them!

Anyway good night of football and I'm looking forward to the trip to Guernsey now.

Hartley Wintney 2 v 2 Guernsey

Just getting my breath back after getting home from the game tonight....and what an exciting game it was!

Fairly even first 20 minutes with Guernsey hitting the bar via a clearance off the line and the young Guernsey keeper making two great saves...even if one effort was from an assist from the referee! A rasping 25 yarder then hit the post for Hartley too and the better football was undoubtedly played by the home side. Guernsey seemed to be a little too direct at times with diagonal balls to the big target man. Hartley coped fairly well, working very hard and denied the visitors time on the ball. A couple of close shots from set pieces and a great save one on one from the Hartley keeper when the referee over ruled the linesman's offside flag. Early doors the officials seemed to give a lot of decisions to Guernsey...this would even itself up later in the game though as you will see later in this report. Willow and Kieron for Hartley were much busier and more creative in central midfield and I was a little disappointed by the quality of the Guernsey trio in there. There is no doubting there pace upfront though and they always looked dangerous.

Must have been about 30 mins and Hartley went one up. A cross from the right, a goalmouth scramble, and a neat finish in the corner from the HW no 9. 1-0.

The visitors looked a little shellshocked , Hartley's extra muscle had them on top, and they looked more likely to add to their lead approaching half time. Two more excellent saves from the Guernsey keeper ended an all action, high tempo 1st half.

Something must have been said at half time as Guernsey kept the ball much better first few minutes of the second half and creating an excellent chance to put their striker in. A lunge from the Hartley centre back brought him down.....free kick and a decision by the ref that changed the game as he showed an immediate straight red. From where I was there seemed to be a covering defender but i`m sure the Guernsey fans will disagree. The free kick was spilled by the HW keeper but he made amends by smothering the second ball with three Guernsey players bearing down and not a HW defender in sight (Warlingham take note!).

On came Ross Allen on 55 mins and what a player he looks! 5 minutes later its 1-1. A neat finish by the aforementioned as Guernsey broke in numbers. Hartley's players felt hard done and were reaching boiling point when the Hartley keeper was flattened and no foul given. There now looked just one winner, as the game got stretched it looked only a matter of time before the visitors took the lead. Their second goal came on 65 minutes as the the lightning fast winger (Zico Black I think) broke free only to be upended by Hartley's other big centre half who took the legs away of the Guersey striker when one on one from 10 yards out...... The most blatent red card you are ever likely to see! Perhaps making amends for some earlier faux pars the ref dished out only a yellow but it shouldn`t have mattered as Allen made it 2-1 from the spot.

Guernsey should have wrapped it up but Hartleys young keeper, coupled with a never say die attitude from the home side kept Hartley in the game . In the dying seconds Hartley gave it one last hurrah and won a free kick on the edge of the box. The tireless Willow drilled an unstoppable drive in the corner and it was 2-2 with the game's last kick.... Scintillating stuff!!

Conclusions on the game....if you cant defend when isolated against Guernsey you have no chance....if your not exceptionally fit you have no chance. Guernsey have the most dangerous strikers in the league..... Do they have the best midfield players and defenders in the league - i`m sure they will have and will win this division but they didn`t have them on show tonight. Hartley played 40 minutes with 10 men but too often Guernsey gave them the ball back and Hartley without question deserved their point and will be a big player at the tp this season.

Edited by inmyday

Bloody hell 2 games gone and yeah these will go up with us.......long way to go Donkey you havent even seen the other sides yet, youve played a team who yes i beleive will challange but theres probably another 5/6 of them

..spot on - I don't watch all that much CCL1 - though I do get to HW 2 -3 times a season 'cos they are so close to me but every season I think they are going to do well they dissappoint.

They do seem to have a certain self-destructive factor about them and chuck points away in games they ought to stroll through - maybe that's it: against lesser sides they often do 'stroll' rather than work at it - I can remember a particularly 'dopy' 3-3 draw against whipping boys Chobham last November - when the back four and Keeper played as if in a trance.

There's at least half a doz sides in CCL1 who might be considered as more likely front runners than Hartley.

As mentioned above I'd quite like to have watched Guernsey at Eversley but notice its on Sat week (20th) when I'll be watching us huff 'n puff vs the Tykes - now minus Long. :doh:

Thanks so much for the write-ups guys. Really appreciate the reports. And please remember those of us from Guernsey with more than half a brain are very pleased with that as a result on our away debut. It sounds like a solid effort. Hopefully a performance to learn and build from.

The good news is some posters now have more than enough information from two matches on which to base their forecast for the next 6 seasons. I am pleased to reveal that based on these two results we are going to narrowly lose out on being the first non-league side to win the FA Cup since 1901, losing 4-3 to a last minute winner by Michael Dawson of Tottenham in the 2018 final. Attendance 88,642