Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Woodford United away

Well two goals is nice and debut today?

I believe he is from Mole Valley.

Double netting on debut , as Alan Partridge would say "it doesn't get any better than that"

BACK OF THE NET!

Thats 6 wins on the trot chaps...... superb!

A fine performance against 12 men.

I kept to my word and didn't pay a penny to Woodford after their display at our place - and just as well after today. I took a groundhopping mate who paid for the afternoon, on the agreement I bought nosh and beer in Ashford tonight.

Our squad was different to put it mildly. No Dan (on the bench but injured), no Bairoh (injured after the clattering by Farnham), no Kofi (suspended) and no Ashley (work), so Pietro and Jack were back in, as was Samad, plus a new signing (more later)...and Weighty! A bit surprised there was no Perry or Conor on the bench, which was completed by Tyler and three players I didn't know - Habu Theodros, Ilyas Mohammed and Andre Raposo. We played so well and cohesively, though, that Burgo didn't need to make any changes during the game.

To try and give credit to Woodford, they have an unusual, quirky ground with a raised seated stand and two small terraced stands at right angles in one corner, their team doesn't give you time to dwell on the ball, and once they get the bit between their teeth they're very hard to hold back. We did, just about, but we dug in deep...and justice prevailed.

At kick-off there were just 39 spectators, including our committee. We witnessed Woodford press hard and impose themselves, but we took the lead in the 29th minute with a sublime lob by new signing up front Matt Harmsworth, signed from Mole Valley SCR. Then came the controversy. Five minutes later, Woodford's number 8 Aaron King made an appalling follow-through challenge. For a good 15 to 20 seconds before the ref got round to speaking to him, King's body language showed he expected quite rightly to be sent off. Unbeliveably, the ref only gave him a yellow. Cue rage in our camp, not least from me.

Without realising it, we made it safe (just) in the three minutes before the break. Russ powered home a header from a 44th minute corner and in stoppage time Matt coolly slotted the ball under the keeper and in. Did we think he were home and hosed? Well...

Whatever was said in the home dressing room at half-time did the trick. Woodford rely on a kick, rush and press game (which I frankly couldn't watch on a weekly basis) and they got back into the game with a direct free kick from the angle at the edge of the area in the 55th minute and a penalty six minutes later. What made it impossible to stomach was that King (yes, the bloke who should have been sent off) scored both. What didn't help was that, similar to the Farnham game, there were two more terrible clattering tackles, this time on Alex and Ed, which went uncarded from a ref who kept smiling throughout the game.

At one point the ref responded to our displeasure by saying "All right, lads? Having a good day?" at which point one of our number said "No, some idiot's ruining it"...and he said something slightly harsher than idiot! Later in the game, we had a bit of a moan to the 'lino' our end, who gave a mouth-open surprised look when I told him the bloke who should have walked had scored twice. I thought officials were meant to keep records of everything that went on in a game?

We could have eased the pressure but Pietro, who'd had a fine shot beautifully saved early on, shot wide when through, Matt brought out another fine save, and Weighty hit the crossbar with a header from a corner. In truth, though, we soaked up more pressure than against Rugby Town last week, especially when defending the bottom of the ski-slope in the second half and, on chances and pressure, we should have drawn at best. However, after the appalling display by the ref and the tactics of some of the home players, I'm ecstatic we got the points.

This was a war of attrition and an admirable backs-to-the-wall display by all in our kit. A fine debut by Matt, a classy return to the team by Samad, and man of the match by some way was Ed. Easily his best display for the team thus far - none shall pass!

Finally, huge thanks to what looked like the whole team for waving to me when I cheered you onto the pitch before kick-off. That meant a lot. You're a great bunch of lads, and you're hard-working and honest. I hope as many of you as possible are wearing our shirt next season.

Edited by Swifty

Can I make two apologies? Firstly, I forgot to list Rob amongst the absentees (he's been playing well recently) and, secondly, I was calling our new striker Matt throughout the game as that was the name I was given before kick-off, but it appears he's called Russell according to the online report. Sorry, mate!

From what I've seen on the pitch, the two ugliest displays I've seen this season have been Woodford at our place and Woodford at home. Credit where it's due, though, for a village of 1,500 to get a team up to and established at this level.

Message to Ed's dad, Hugh (or is it Huw?) - you may have seen Wales win the Six Nations, but you lost out as you missed your lad's best game for us. Ed's been worried about playing out of position and letting the side down - he was a colossus today. Ed should never doubt his ability again after that match.

Great report Ed.

Sadly, i had to miss the game due to the kids working and the wife visiting her mother for her birthday. Why the mother in law couldnt be born on a weekday is beyond me! ^_^

This awol of the troops left me looking after the dogs, one of which due to an op could not be left for the 7 hours i would have been away.

I had a txt from the chairman saying "2-3 in stoppage time" and then nothing! After 5 minutes i was beginning to get a tad tense as to why the baker man had not txted me the result. When i finally found out i did a little jig in celebration and stubbed my toe on the computer chair! 3 POINTS in the bag and 6 wins in a row!

Cant wait for tuesday

Well done everyone. :lol:

A decimated Ashford squad, missing the likes of Kofi Lockhart-Adams (suspended), Rob Curtis (inj), Ashley Lodge (unavailable), Dan Brown (inj, although he was on the bench), Bairoh Conteh (inj), Jim Mann (inj) and Perry Luckins (unavailable),

To get a result let alone win was a fantastic effort. Team spirit means more than anything.

CHARGE!!!

Edited by fatboyatmfc

Looking at the long list of injured and unavailable players for the Woodford game shows what progress the management team under Paul have achieved in a period since a matter of weeks before this season began when they built a team from scratch and have steadily created a decent squad of players who supporters can identify with (i.e. honest, hard-working and totally united as a team).

A lot different from the previous 'revolving door' policy under the previous management when I noticed on several occasions, Swifty and FB bringing their boots to games, just in case it was their turn. :lol: