Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Windsor or Guildford?

groundhopperesq

Having followed Windsor all season amongst other local teams (Maidenhead, Holyport and Beaconsfield) what do the proper windsor fans feel about the possibility of not winning the league.

Looking at it i believe Guildford should win it quite easily, although there is a slim chance Windsor will nick it.

Having the big wage budget and players that should be playing at a higher level will the fans be annoyed if the lads fail to win the league. Im not sure what Guildford's wage budget is but surely Windsor's is by far the biggest in the league?

I know it is the first season for the reformed team but a swift return to step 4 was expected.

It will be such a shame if Windsor do not gain promotion this year.

Ive been to a few home games this year and there are always big crowds ( bigger than neighbours Maidenhead utd by far) and its a very good atmosphere.

Budgets aside, and there has been all sort of speculation on the CCL Forum, one has to remember that all the other clubs at this level have been together for quite some time. Guildford's squad has been together for 3 seasons and were denied by a ground grading issue from being promoted last season. We started pre-season trainileague opener against South Park, I stressed the need for caution. Scotty also urged the need to keep expectations in check. If someone had said at the start of the season we would have got to the semi finals of a cup competition and still be in the running for the title at this stage of the season, how many people would have taken that?

What is of far more importance is the manner in which the club is run behind the scenes. Self sustainability and community are the keys. We are attracting an amazingly high number of youngsters thanks to the link with Windsor Youth FC. At Saturday's game against Badshot Lea, we had in excess of 80 Under 16s in the ground.

It is important to build upon the successes of this season. Would it be a disaster if we were not promoted? Of course not. Look at the experience gained from playing in the CCL this season. Take the positives from this season and learn from the mistakes that have been made along the way. We have an amazing bunch of supporters who have been welcomed with open arms wherever we have gone. PLus, if we do stay in the CCL Prem next season, we have a trip to Guernsey to look forward to. How much fun will that be?

Fair questions groundhopperesq, but I think Hayden has covered it, to still be 'challenging' at this stage of the season and having scored over 100 goals has to be an achievement. The crowds are very healthy for this level of football and the links with local youth football are improving all the time.

Playing devils advocate here...maybe Guildford's budget is higher than ours?

Yes it is great we still have a club and great things are going on behind the scenes blah blah blah...I will still be a little disappointed not to go up considering the commanding position we were in but it is not the end of the world.

We're come back fighting next season and lets hope we can finish above Guernsey!!!

Yes it is great we still have a club and great things are going on behind the scenes blah blah blah...I will still be a little disappointed not to go up considering the commanding position we were in but it is not the end of the world.

When was that?

Having followed Windsor all season amongst other local teams (Maidenhead, Holyport and Beaconsfield) what do the proper windsor fans feel about the possibility of not winning the league.

Looking at it i believe Guildford should win it quite easily, although there is a slim chance Windsor will nick it.

Having the big wage budget and players that should be playing at a higher level will the fans be annoyed if the lads fail to win the league. Im not sure what Guildford's wage budget is but surely Windsor's is by far the biggest in the league?

I know it is the first season for the reformed team but a swift return to step 4 was expected.

Ive been to a few home games this year and there are always big crowds ( bigger than neighbours Maidenhead utd by far) and its a very good atmosphere.

Are you Nice Guys relation by any chance.Windsor have done exceptionally well this year,on and off the field.Sustainability has been their aim,from a little acorn to an Oak Tree comes with time.A sensible approach has been their priority,in which they have succeeded.WELL DONE TO ALL AT WINDSOR.

Paul, go by train. So much easier and only a 10-15 minute walk from Norwood Junction. Failing that, hop on the tram at East Croydon. One of the easiest grounds by public transport but one of the worst if driving!

When was that?

Yo pops not only are you too old for FB but it would seem you have memory loss too :) Correct me if I am wrong but we have been top of the league at some point this season...

i feel a little let down we not winning league but i think overall if been good seson just glad we have a club to watch and thanks for your support

• 3 weeks later...

Having read the above, what a load of tosh ! Grondhopperesq is right tho' with a budget of +£2000 a WEEK that should get you in the Ryman/Southern League playoff even top 2 placings. Thats a minimum total of £72,000 a season.......WOW !

Yes all the stuff behind the scenes is good for the club and commendable but in reality, whether you are being honest and not hiding behind those rose tinted glasses, your management and players FAILED !

For those of interest, whilst Guildford's budget is very good for CCL its is not as much as Windsors, but with their budget they would do well to be mid-table in Ryman/Southern and should win the CCL Premier which they have done TWICE.

I am afraid, as I said on a previous thread a few months ago, if Windsor do not win the league with their budget and players they have, the committee has to look seriously at their manager Scott. Coming second in the league and winning nothing, can that be classed as successful ? I think that with one club going up, clubs now know Windsor's game and their players that were new to the league, they may infact find it harder next season, but then again, with Windsor's budget they can always get players from a higher league to play for them, but as shown this season, thats not always the answer ........ :huh: !

You should question the mentality of the players and management that when Windsor play the lower clubs in the league, they take the game too lightly and result in losing points. To be champions, they are the teams you must beat and Windsor failed that as results show.

A reality check it has been for Windsor which they will learn from this season, but I do expect them to be up at the top again next season along with Guernsey, who again are an unknown quantity only knowing that they were far too good for CCL Div. 1 and possibly CCL Premier that will be exciting to watch next season.

Anyway, you all should ask yourself if Scott will actually be at Windsor for next season........... ;) ?

For a first season at this level playing against clubs we have little history with or knowledge of, I think second spot is an excellent achievement. Considering that pre-season for us started on 30th June, we have managed to put together a competitive squad. I will also throw in a cup semi final as well. Scotty said at the start of the season that whoever finished above Guildford would be champions and he has been proven correct. When one looks back and sees that after the first 5 games we had amassed a massive 6 points, we have done really well to be where we are.

Self sustainability has always been our target and a huge amount of work has been going on to secure the financial future of Windsor FC for future generations. Am I disappointed that we did not win the championship? Of course I am. Is it the end of the world? Of course not.

On Saturday we host the Champions. We will acknowledge their achievements and be respectful as we have been all season. And if we win then I will look at it as an excellent way to conclude our home games this season.

As for 2012/13 season, let's just wait and see eh?

For a first season at this level playing against clubs we have little history with or knowledge of, I think second spot is an excellent achievement. Considering that pre-season for us started on 30th June, we have managed to put together a competitive squad. I will also throw in a cup semi final as well. Scotty said at the start of the season that whoever finished above Guildford would be champions and he has been proven correct. When one looks back and sees that after the first 5 games we had amassed a massive 6 points, we have done really well to be where we are.

Self sustainability has always been our target and a huge amount of work has been going on to secure the financial future of Windsor FC for future generations. Am I disappointed that we did not win the championship? Of course I am. Is it the end of the world? Of course not.

On Saturday we host the Champions. We will acknowledge their achievements and be respectful as we have been all season. And if we win then I will look at it as an excellent way to conclude our home games this season.

As for 2012/13 season, let's just wait and see eh?

Good points Sec, but you fail to mention that with Windsors budget, don't you think they should have got promotion ? I wonder how many Windsor players will stay in the CCL next season ? Money talks, so providing Windsor maintain their budget or maybe increase it, they could keep these players and buy the league next season which unfortunately its the way of the world nowadays........... ;) !!!

Good luck !

I'll add my congratulations to Guildford City for winning the league and ensuring there was a good challenge for the title over so many weeks and months. Good luck at Step 4, and I hope you enjoy better support at home - and away of course - as a reward for all your effort on the pitch.

No idea where Nice Guy gets his budget figure from, but we'd appreciate the return of the rose-tinted specs. We're building for the future - although I'm sure he understands that by now - so infrastructure and support is paramount for us. Great first season nevertheless, with more to come. Sometimes the ride can be more challenging and rewarding than the arrival. We've already experienced some of those rewards with the level of local support, plenty of stimulating football on a wonderful pitch, visited some excellent grounds and met a lot of wonderful people. The ride continues.