Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What a great Season!!!!!

Smudge

Jurgs,not really.Reason we all know that moneymen,run Clubs.And what they say goes,the other Committee Members stay stum,but if they all walked away from the tasks that they performed at the said Clubs.Could a Club run.It becomes an EGO trip for them,nice coach,better Players,Glory even.When it goes bandy they shrug their shoulders,and say never saw that coming.Lets start up a New Club,all to easy.

Further to the point of publishing league tables regarding referee performance I would add that clubs could also raise the question of why they have been appointed a referee at the lower end of the table as opposed to the top end. Additionally, would such tables be based on assessor and / or club marks? Without wishing to denigrate those who provide club marks on a referee's performance, assessor marks are based on stated competences with training provided to assessors on how to mark against those accordingly. In effect, and I know this is not always the case, the situation exists for significant differences between the two marks based on subjectivity (club) and objectivity (assessor). Over the season I think there will be a corrolation between the two sets of marks but referees will take more notice of assessor marks as assessments identify strengths and development areas, with ways to address the latter being included.

As it is, the FA provide L4 referees (those doing CCL Premier Division games) with their bandings for assessor and club marks at regular intervals and a referee will know for himself where s/he is in respect of those. When referees get together at meetings / games, etc, they often talk about their bandings and they are aware of their position in respect of their contemporaries. Furthermore, I'm not aware that the FA publish the positions of referees at more senior levels so unless they choose to introduce it first at a higher level than the CCL, I don't see any argument for the CCL to do so independently of the FA.

I believe that greater education is a key to this and that players and management should avail themselves of opportunities to learn more about the laws of the game and their application. Unfortunately too many chose not to and rely on TV 'experts' and pundits whose knowledge is sketchy to say the least.

For example, without referring to the LOTG, is it ok for a player to say 'leave it' to another player and, if so, why? If not, what is the correct way to deal with this in accordance with the LOTG? This might be an arcane example but there are other more common misconceptions that formal education on the LOTG can address and might help players understand why a referee has made a decision and the reasoning behind it.

Kroons as I stated in the original post,I personally think that the Officials that I have seen,have been decent bar 2.Now if Bale had known the Laws,he would of made no attempt to score,meaning Spurs would of had a Penalty,from which they would of probably scored,and Chelsea would of been down to 10 men.Different Ball game maybe.Atkinson did not issue Czech with a yellow, which was a mistake even if he played the advantage Law,he can go back and book him.Rufus's comments regarding bias by Officials,is a ludicrous statement,they try their best and are equal to both sides.The test for me will be if the 2 poor Refs that I have seen twice each this Season,are still Officiating at Premier Level next year.Then I will definitely know the system is floored.

Question is though Smudge, did the referees in question have off days? Heaven forbid that a player should ever have an off day. It does happen you know. You mention seeing 2 refs twice. Hardly representative of a season is it. Also, if you feel so strongly why don't you do what NG has been told to do on many occasions and get involved!

GET INVOLVED.No one would have me.Once was asked to be a Committee Member at Croydon Athletic back in the good old days,when I spent 7 days a week at the Club.Only attended 1 meeting though,not being a yes man,I only asked 2 Questions,Can I see the Accounts,not being a Limited Company at the time,if it failed all Committee Members where liable,for any debts encrued.Went down like a Lead Balloon.2 Question Why are we charging 50p for a carbonised coke,when the cost price is 8p,they had loads of Families with children attending at the time,A NICE LITTLE EARNER.Still if Hornchurch,Farnborough,Croydon Athletic and even your beloved Windsor and Eton,had a Committee Member like me,they would not of suffered the embarassment of going Bankrupt.For 7 years hard work,I did win Clubman of the Year Twice,reason I did everything for nothing.

Ironic that Smudge. Had they shown you the accounts would you have understood them :P

The Coke may only have cost 8p. What about the glass / ice / washing up / electric to heat / light the bar / rent for premises etc etc. Then they have to make a profit else they may as well not offer the service. 50p sounds cheap - maybe at £1 they would still have been in business <_<

Kroons as I stated in the original post,I personally think that the Officials that I have seen,have been decent bar 2.Now if Bale had known the Laws,he would of made no attempt to score,meaning Spurs would of had a Penalty,from which they would of probably scored,and Chelsea would of been down to 10 men.Different Ball game maybe.Atkinson did not issue Czech with a yellow, which was a mistake even if he played the advantage Law,he can go back and book him.Rufus's comments regarding bias by Officials,is a ludicrous statement,they try their best and are equal to both sides.The test for me will be if the 2 poor Refs that I have seen twice each this Season,are still Officiating at Premier Level next year.Then I will definitely know the system is floored.

Question is though Smudge, did the referees in question have off days? Heaven forbid that a player should ever have an off day. It does happen you know. You mention seeing 2 refs twice. Hardly representative of a season is it. Also, if you feel so strongly why don't you do what NG has been told to do on many occasions and get involved!

GET INVOLVED.No one would have me.Once was asked to be a Committee Member at Croydon Athletic back in the good old days,when I spent 7 days a week at the Club.Only attended 1 meeting though,not being a yes man,I only asked 2 Questions,Can I see the Accounts,not being a Limited Company at the time,if it failed all Committee Members where liable,for any debts encrued.Went down like a Lead Balloon.2 Question Why are we charging 50p for a carbonised coke,when the cost price is 8p,they had loads of Families with children attending at the time,A NICE LITTLE EARNER.Still if Hornchurch,Farnborough,Croydon Athletic and even your beloved Windsor and Eton,had a Committee Member like me,they would not of suffered the embarassment of going Bankrupt.For 7 years hard work,I did win Clubman of the Year Twice,reason I did everything for nothing.

I don't think I mentioned anything about club involvement. It was to do with working with match officials and the like. But as you brought up the distant past, let me fill you in on some background:

1. I have held no position with Windsor & Eton FC - this season is the first time I have ever been officially involved with any football club and I am incredibly proud and privileged to do so

2. Like everyone else on the committee at WFC, we do it for the love and do not get paid! Fact is, there are a good number of people at Stag Meadow who do far more than me - again for absolutely nothing other than to give something to the town

3. You could probably have recruited the greatest committee members of all time and even then I doubt if W&E would have been saved. As for other clubs, I am in absolutely no position to comment

Further to the point of publishing league tables regarding referee performance I would add that clubs could also raise the question of why they have been appointed a referee at the lower end of the table as opposed to the top end. Additionally, would such tables be based on assessor and / or club marks? Without wishing to denigrate those who provide club marks on a referee's performance, assessor marks are based on stated competences with training provided to assessors on how to mark against those accordingly. In effect, and I know this is not always the case, the situation exists for significant differences between the two marks based on subjectivity (club) and objectivity (assessor). Over the season I think there will be a corrolation between the two sets of marks but referees will take more notice of assessor marks as assessments identify strengths and development areas, with ways to address the latter being included.

As it is, the FA provide L4 referees (those doing CCL Premier Division games) with their bandings for assessor and club marks at regular intervals and a referee will know for himself where s/he is in respect of those. When referees get together at meetings / games, etc, they often talk about their bandings and they are aware of their position in respect of their contemporaries. Furthermore, I'm not aware that the FA publish the positions of referees at more senior levels so unless they choose to introduce it first at a higher level than the CCL, I don't see any argument for the CCL to do so independently of the FA.

I believe that greater education is a key to this and that players and management should avail themselves of opportunities to learn more about the laws of the game and their application. Unfortunately too many chose not to and rely on TV 'experts' and pundits whose knowledge is sketchy to say the least.

For example, without referring to the LOTG, is it ok for a player to say 'leave it' to another player and, if so, why? If not, what is the correct way to deal with this in accordance with the LOTG? This might be an arcane example but there are other more common misconceptions that formal education on the LOTG can address and might help players understand why a referee has made a decision and the reasoning behind it.

"Jacks"

But I agree as well that players managers and supporters need to know the LOTG before doing some heavy duty spleen venting.

Here's another one...

A free kick is awarded. The team take it immediately (with the ball stopped), and it hits an opponent who is standing four feet away. The opponent was in the same spot when the whistle was blown for the foul.

What action does the referee take?

Ironic that Smudge. Had they shown you the accounts would you have understood them :P

The Coke may only have cost 8p. What about the glass / ice / washing up / electric to heat / light the bar / rent for premises etc etc. Then they have to make a profit else they may as well not offer the service. 50p sounds cheap - maybe at £1 they would still have been in business <_<

No flies on me Fingers,figures are my forte.The Club at the time was grossing £3k plus per weekend from Bar Takings alone,3 junior games on the pitch on a Sunday ,A nice SUNDAY LUNCH Available as well,a true Community Club.9 JUNIOR Sides used to play,some away,and still returned to the Clubhouse every weekend.

Did the opponent have an opportunity to retire 10 yards?

Was it purely a case of the free kick being deliberately played at the opponent?

If the answeres are no and yes, I see no reason why the referee does not play on. In all reality, he would instruct the free kick to be retaken.

If the answers are yes and no, caution for the opponent and retake the free kick. But what happens if the ball falls kindly to a team mate and spanks one in from 30 yards? Award a goal and consider having a word with the opponent.

Alternatively, just go down the pub!

Here's another one...

A free kick is awarded. The team take it immediately (with the ball stopped), and it hits an opponent who is standing four feet away. The opponent was in the same spot when the whistle was blown for the foul.

What action does the referee take?

Well one of the Refs mentioned,sprinted 35 yds,and showed a Red to the freekick taker.And gave a free kick to the other side.Violent Conduct I presume?

Yeah maybe Kroons,but he had his back to the play at the Time,he was a man possessed.On the 2nd occassion I saw him,he was called all the names under the sun,too rude to publish on a Forum by a Player.Action after a long admonishment to the Player, a YELLOW.Get the jist?

No flies on me Fingers,figures are my forte.The Club at the time was grossing £3k plus per weekend from Bar Takings alone,3 junior games on the pitch on a Sunday ,A nice SUNDAY LUNCH Available as well,a true Community Club.9 JUNIOR Sides used to play,some away,and still returned to the Clubhouse every weekend.

What year was this? 1901?Showing your age,Smudge! :lol: I thought everything was cosha at The Crem before the new owner took over? Then the cracks appeared and alas the final nail.Is the ground still abandoned?

Smudge have you not thought about taking up the whistle yourself? You'll be pleased to know that there are no age restrictions whatsoever in refereeing, and therefore you can never be too old to do the course.

Was aware there was no Age Restriction,when I used to marvel at the pace and agility of the great Rocket Ron.Think weight could be a problem though, I woould need to put on a few stone to catch up with many current C.C.L. Refs.

As ever your response is to insult the current match officials, rather than give a good reason for not putting yourself forward.

Yet another example of a person being willing to criticise others for doing their best, but then isn't willing to put themselves forward for the job themselves.

He was indeed Joe,and a very good business man as well.Had time for everyone,and ran a Great Club.Some of the junior players who were their at the time,would make up into an awesome side now.Very few got a chance when Hayden Bird took over the Managerial reins,and unfortunately all the Sunday games for the Youth Section stopped on the Main Pitch,along with the Revenue that it earnt the Club.

Let's be honest, your own players cost you far more points per season that any officials do!

To quote one of Krooners fav sayings "we aren't the Premier League, so don't expect Premier standard officials"!

I'm not saying that improvements can't be made, as they always can, but at the end of the day, no officals means no matches at this level and I'd rather have a [****!!****] offical than none at all!!

And poor admin / not following rules can also cost far more points too :(

GF stop having a go at E & E please .................. ;) !!!