Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

NOT good enought TOWN

................... so glass half empty all the time. we have worked a minor miracle here, we should be proud. and yes we do want to progress, conference etc, but we need to take the opportunities when they present themselves like last season not force the issue.

Glass half empty? Half Full?

There is a glass?No one told me there was a glass!!!!

I think that following a club is all about expectation and a sense of belonging.

I followed EFC as diligently as anyone from my first game as a 7 year old in 1977 until the birth of my son in 2002. At that point it got too much for me. All the fun had gone and the whole experience of following Enfield was too painful. When the 'split' came so did split loyalties. Rather than choose I walked away from my 50-60 game a season habit. A habit that had defined my life to that point. Something I know is familiar to many of us. I did not attend a game of any kind ( well I went to see Arsenal 3 or 4 times ) for nearly ten years.

With hindisght I regret my decision not to join many people I knew and admired in forming ETFC but hindsight is a wonderf....

I will always consider mylself lucky to have been an Enfield Supporter. I always felt a sense of belonging that my school mates never experienced following Spurs and Arsenal and was fortunate to have followed the club at a time of great success and fun. Many of us on here will recall Port Vale at home , the Trophy Semi at Barrow , Bishop Auckland away I could of course go on and on.

I now consider myself very lucky to be following a club like the Town each week along with my son and my Dad.

I feel a sense of guilt for being a Jonny-come-lately and having provided none of the hard work that has been put in over the last decade to create ETFC.

Whilst I acknowledge I do not carry the emotional baggage or sense of entitlemnet that supporters who have done all the hard yards to create what I am lucky enough to be enjoying now I do think it enables a supporter like myself to have a bit of perspective.

I grew up watching teams that icludedplayers such as ; Jennings , Tone , Oliver , Ashford (all hail the 'King') , Ironton , Pape , Docker , King all the way through to other truly talented players like John Bailey, Mark Pye and Paul Underwood.

But that was then and this is now. The players above were all technically gifted ,all of them well paid ( that's an assumption I know) but all of them playing at a level below what they could of or later did achieve. I still believe Eddie's squad in 84/85 would have held it's own in the old Divison 3 at least.

I do not expect ETFC to play the football we enjoyed in 1984 or 1995. The squad is of a totally different playing standard but then I assume the playing budget is too ? So our expectations should be at a different level as well. The step up from Division 1 to the Ryman Premier is huge. Players are fitter, more aware, technically more proficient and certainly better organised than those we competed against last year.

I think that a mid-table to 'avoiding relegation' finish willbe a huge achievement. Personally, I am just looking forward to travelling to Wealdstone on equal terms again after all these years .. yes we did beat them 3 times in 85/6 without conceding a goal!

Look at what 'you' have achieved; a squad who appear proud to where the shirt , a great stadium which is totally fit for purpose , a growing fan base and a club that has restored pride in football in Enfield.

Let's enjoy the ride.

I think that following a club is all about expectation and a sense of belonging.

I now consider myself very lucky to be following a club like the Town each week along with my son and my Dad.

I feel a sense of guilt for being a Jonny-come-lately and having provided none of the hard work that has been put in over the last decade to create ETFC.

Let's enjoy the ride.

I believe that people/supporters like yourself from the old club are the very people that the club are looking to attract to the Donkey Dome

Glad to hear that 3 generations are enjoying football IN Enfield

Good post Townend. However, "I feel a sense of guilt for being a Jonny-come-lately and having provided none of the hard work that has been put in over the last decade to create ETFC."

That sentence reads like a valedictory. Whilst we should be proud of what has been achieved by the board and players at the club we should also look forward. Despite being the second oldest senior club and playing at the highest level of any senior club in the borough we should all be hopeful of progressing further. The club is only a little over a decade old and when the club celebrates its silver, gold or diamond jubilee, perhaps even its centenary those supporters who see the club through over the next ten years will be seen as amongst the founding members.

If you have the time apply to join the board or help in the shop, sell a programme or two or put up a poster. Certainly become a member with the rest of your family. In this way you will be amongst the many who helped the club progress to the next level and, in 20 years time when you are as senior as me you can say I was there!

I have posted before about Barcelona who are a fans owned club and there is no reason to think that Enfield Town cannot be as big as Barca in a hundred years time.

After all the Rochdale pioneers did not know that they were there at the start of the Co-op.

lets try and stop putting down the club /players /managment /board,and get behind enfield town fc its our club we have been unlucky as i saw on other replys on here weve gone up a leavel the other teams are stronger faster harder than us lets give the tam a lift and we can stay a prem team or move up......................................

• 2 weeks later...