Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

BIG SHAKE UP IN CCL?

Smudge

Why someone at the FA hasn't yet told the Football League that 3g is acceptable is beyond me but then again, not entirely surprising as they usually take a decade to get their heads out of the sand. Clubs at that level may not want or need them, but winters like this one if repeated will just see those braver clubs vindicated when everyone is going to watch them, as there's nothing else on that day.

As for Maidstone, they'll be fine. In fact, bearing in mind that this is their first season at Step Three they would be well advised to take their time. The alternative is of course for them to sue the FA for restraint of trade, as they currently pass all the UEFA guidelines and so could threaten to go above the FA if they blocked the promotion, seeing as they fit all other criteria. The Conference vote will then finally be rendered irrelevant. It all depends on how brave the people at Maidstone are, I suppose, but I really hope they don't buckle and end up with another ground share situation as their fans must be sick of that already after much of the last twenty years in exile.

I would be interested to see the breakdown of the voting.  My guess is those against will be a majority of teams flirting with relegation.  they will be hoping Maidstone top the league and that it spares one of their own.

The conference decision is madness but as most say, due to clubs protecting themselves in the short term rather than long term for the good of the game.

As for the steady decline in people playing football at adult level, this is in part to shit facilities.

Give people nice facilities including a decent pitch and it changes.

Also, at youth level the trend is the other way so in 10 years time we should see an increase in adult participation.

I would be interested to see the breakdown of the voting.  My guess is those against will be a majority of teams flirting with relegation.  they will be hoping Maidstone top the league and that it spares one of their own.

The Conference Premier clubs had a vote each. The North and South clubs had 8 between them. I don't think the issue has anything to do with Maidstone's ability to be promoted.

The Conference are looking to increase the number of club promoted to/relegated from the Football League to three. They're not going to want a situation clubs at the top of their league can't go up because the Football League won't accept 3G pitches.

The Conference Premier clubs had a vote each. The North and South clubs had 8 between them. I don't think the issue has anything to do with Maidstone's ability to be promoted.

The Conference are looking to increase the number of club promoted to/relegated from the Football League to three. They're not going to want a situation clubs at the top of their league can't go up because the Football League won't accept 3G pitches.

I am not sure that is how it works Lee.  What you are saying suggests that the Conference led their clubs to vote for that rather than the clubs voting as they felt fit.

We don't know what discussions took place between the League officials and its Clubs before and during the EGM. There will have been quite of lobbying (scaremongering even) by people opposed to 3G.

We don't know what discussions took place between the League officials and its Clubs before and during the EGM. There will have been quite of lobbying (scaremongering even) by people opposed to 3G.

And I am sure we will never know.  I disagree with the decision but hey ho.

Of course it does make them fools when they are knocking asking for changes to promotion and relegation rules with the FL.

Due to games being called off since the turn of the year, I have played two friendlies on 3G and the pros for it were

• wet weather, we could still play
  • the pitch is flat
  • green all over
  • I felt more confident half vollying the ball as I could guarantee I would not drop the ball on a divot
  • More teams are inclined to pass the ball more than play percentages as they can guarantee the pass will not be meddled with by a bumpy pitch

Cons against it

• getting the ball to stay still for dead ball was tricky when windy - cant divot the turf (or mud) to keep the ball still
  • Some goalies wear shorts on it, easy to get minor abrasions from it but then no different to a game at the beginning or end of season (I got some nasty ones playing at North Greenford the year they won the CCL).  Im not so sure I would wear shorts on it, but maybe with leggings on underneath.  Both times I played I wore trousers
  • If there are abrasions that draw blood, how many players would have to leave the field to until the bleeding it stopped (again no differnet to beginning/end of season I guess)
  • Downside to being flat is again if windy the ball is more likily to run out of play as no grass (or mud) to hold the ball up.

And a tongue in cheek con - the boot manufactures will see a further decline in soft ground boot sales :lol:

I didn't see anyone turn their ankles on it but that is a freak that can happen on any surface.

Hypothetically if the league I compete in announced that next season all pitches had to be 3G, I would not be concerned.

Edited by Terrence Collina

Ace has asked me Duncs as I know him.

I look at it from a bigger picture.  I have quite a bit of experience of them and actually my team have played the last 5 Saturdays while without them other teams haven't played.

I think the injuries are a lot to do with boot design as well as the pitches.  We may see us go back to slightly tougher boots if 3g becomes widespread.

Lets be fair most Premiership pitches are nearly 50% artificial

Fair comment Duncs, it is not a surface I have played on.

However, as a regular supporter I have seen football on a few astroturf surfaces over the years and I am also aware that Epsom would love a 3g pitch themselves so am familiar with the outlay required. Like Krooner, I am looking at the bigger picture, which doesn't just involve the "on the pitch" considerations.

I suppose the best endorsement you can give to 3g is when you come away from watching a game on one, and forgetting that it wasn't actually played on grass. That seems to be the case these days, although I take the point raised earlier about the ball not keeping still on a windy day. Like a good referee, a good astroturf pitch will go unnoticed, and although I can't comment on the injury situation, and general wear and tear on the players joints etc. many players play on non grass surfaces when training or maybe playing five a side or similar, so there can't be too much difference, if any.

Krooner,

Someone mentioned that supply would out way demand eventually on 3G pitches, would you agree with this based on your quote " What I can say and I did to Craig is that of all the Youth football set ups in Surrey Heath I would say we now have a majority training outside of the borough. While the installation of 1 3g pitch is to be welcomed it doesn't come close enough to provide enough to meet the needs of the local community. "

With this in mind if the council provided CTFC and FGFC with 3G pitches and the same business model as they will use on their own it would provide an adequate level of pitches that can be booked all year round with enough demand for use for all three?