Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ashford Town (Middlesex) Hall of Fame

Hi All,

As some of you may know, I have an ongoing project to chronicle the history of the club and have wanted to write a book about it for many years.  Well, I've finally organised how it will be published and have been busily getting the copy put together.

There will be a brief review of each season, First Team League Tables for them and sections about players who have gone on to progress after playing for Ashford or who have played for Ashford as well as playing international football.

One of the most important areas of the book will be a chapter about the people who have made significant contributions over the years - a "Hall of Fame", if you like. With this in mind, I'd like to ask you, the supporters, for suggestions as to who should be included in this chapter.

This chapter could include players, managers, administrators or even supporters. All I ask is that any nominations are backed up with a few words as to why that person should be included.  They can be put into this thread or sent to me by email or private message.

At the same time, if anyone has any photos of the club or its teams they'd be happy to lend me to scan for inclusion, please let me know (especially from the 1970s and 1980s). Anything entrusted to me will be returned and credit will be given for all contributions.

If the project makes a profit, it will all be donated to the club. 

Interestingly a discussion about a photo wall hall of fame in the bar was again discussed on Thursday and frames have been arranged. Maybe this could link in to those nominated for the book. We are also looking at a "current squad" wall.

Interestingly a discussion about a photo wall hall of fame in the bar was again discussed on Thursday and frames have been arranged. Maybe this could link in to those nominated for the book. We are also looking at a "current squad" wall.

Great idea, Phil - especially if we can scan the photos before they get framed.

From the first time I started watching the Club, memorable names on the playing & management staff (setting aside those still here, and those already on the clubhouse or boardroom walls) would be:

Nathan Wharf

Lee Holman

Tony Nolan

Des Vertannes

Scott Todd

Jim Heggarty

Andy Frost

Barry White

Ian Miles 

...and probably many others I cannot recall the names of over a 15 year period!

All great players in their time but the difficulty is setting the parameters for what constitutes a "legend". Appearances, goals, progress from Ashford ? I would personally have to include

Paul Burgess

Danny Bulman

Andy Smith

Russell Canderton

and for devotion to and work done for the club

Ernie,Bob and Alan

I did something similar to this at Epsom and Ewell. It can be seen at www.eefconline.co.uk We also have a Wall of Fame for all players with over 200 appearances. 

Ultimately someone has to make the decision on who sits where in any Hall of Fame and as I had done the history, I did it, awarding points for service, number of positions held, success while in those roles and legacy to the club. A historian is usually more neutral, while individuals will of course have their favourites.

If you have a full set of playing stats that will help you, even if you go from the point when you became a Senior club, as I did.

Good luck.

"From the first time I started watching the Club, memorable names on the playing & management staff (setting aside those still here, and those already on the clubhouse or boardroom walls) would be:

Barry White"

I can't actually remember anyone called Barry White playing for us. I can recall a few who played like Barry Manilow!

If you have a full set of playing stats that will help you, even if you go from the point when you became a Senior club, as I did.

Good luck.

Lazarus, can I borrow your big book of players' stats, please?  :D

Thanks to all who have made nominations so far! To be how this chapter of the book will be structured, all the players who went on to play in the Football League will be included in their own section, which rules out Dannie Bulman and Ricky Wellard, amongst others, as they are already in the book.

All of Slimboy's other nominations would have to be in the book in order for it to have any credibility, such was those individuals' contribution to the club. There are other considerations, such as a need to include all eras of the club's history, where possible and that some people may not have been with the club a long time, but made such a spectacular contribution that is worthy of recording.

Realistically, we won't be able to include everyone in the book who deserves to be. But I don't see that as a bad thing; it will spark interest and debate (and perhaps, if demand is there and I can gather the information) a Volume 2.

The name that stands out for me is Mark Butler. Mark's achievements during his time with us were nothing short of astonishing, taking a little club likes ours, establishing us in the Ryman Premier, having won promotion from the Southern League ( with all that travelling), beating Dover in the League Cup Final and getting us into the draw of the 1st Round Proper of the FA Cup. Mark seemed to have the ability to get the best out of players, to standards that previously they didnt probably know they were capable of.

Eddie -

you don't remember Barry White? He was:

"MY FIRST, MY LAST, MY EVERYTHING!"

I intended to mention Mark Butler, but hesitated as some people did not appreciate him leaving us for Margate at the time, and were critical of him. I fully agree with manurgrate's sentiments and Mark very kindly bought me a drink some years ago when we encountered one another whilst he was with his work colleagues in the Wellington Pub at Waterloo.

Mark was always fantastic towards Liam, and they have kept in touch. I always look out for his beloved Aldershot's progress, in the same way that many at Ashford always follow Rick Wellard's progress.

Dare I say it...

Dave Kent.

Graham "Kipper" Hill

Gary Cambridge

Not forgetting, Pat Munns.

Plus Alan Pincham, Steve Clarke.

Three who have left us, but not forgotten are Malcolm Pate, Ray Bridges and Jim Richardson. These 3 made the aftermatch so much more enjoyable.

Archived