Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Club Legends

GarySTFC

Who would you define as a club legend, or fan favourite, throughout the course of Slough's recent (past 30 years say) and why? I'm doing research on behalf of SI Games for STFCs entry on the game. Roy Gumbs is the only person listed at present, but I think we should have more on there. Suggestions, and reasoning, please.

Steve Daly & Trevor Bunting

Both had approx. 10 year association with the club and both made over or approaching 400 appearances.

Bunting being a good keeper at a good time for the club whilst Daly being a great center half and captain during some of/the darkest times.

Steve Thompson,Trevor Bunting,Terry Reardon[although before my time] and Darren Wilkinson.

What about Sean Lahiff ? !

Sorry Gary :(

Daly/wilkinson just appearances and general leadership qualities

Woozley the above plus captain of play off winning team

Also like to add Ryan spencer as he was conference quality

Radders,I liked Ryan Spencer as a player but I wouldn't call him a legend.Agree with your other choices,though. 

Around the same period was Ian Hodges but he had done well at Hayes,just like Cliff Hercules was synonymous with Aylesbury United and Mark West with Wycombe Wanderers.

I think Thommo should qualify as a legend because he made his non-league name at Slough before going on to supposed bigger clubs! [i use the term loosely,as it refers to Wycombe and Woking!ha ha].

Ed Smith,with his goal rate,has the potential to become a Slough legend.

In my opinion despite  his legend status up the road, Westy also deserves it here too.  A quality forward who got goals, and a top bloke too.  Would agree with Daly, Bunting, Wilko and Chalky too.  Hercules played outstandingly both up front and at centre back and as such is worth a shout.  On a different level how about Jacko, long association with club, still in touch with fans now, may not have been as great a player as some listed, but in my eyes a definite legend.

Edited by grandad

I love Roy Gumbs but I'd describe him as more of a "cult hero" rather than a legend.

I think a legend should be 400+ caps, or a record goalscorer. Something extraordinary. 

I sort of agree but it's conceivable that somebody could be at the club for a relatively short space of time but still create a major impact on their team-mates or fans etc.

Back to the original question, a man whose nomination needs no explanation.........Super Kev McGoldrick.

Who would you define as a club legend, or fan favourite, throughout the course of Slough's recent (past 30 years say) and why? I'm doing research on behalf of SI Games for STFCs entry on the game. Roy Gumbs is the only person listed at present, but I think we should have more on there. Suggestions, and reasoning, please.

if you are only going back 30 yrs I'd better keep my " rose tinted classes on ". In my opinion to be a legend in football you have to be a bit special  and also have acheived something in the game.So apart from Steve Thommo ( who by the way came to us thanks to the airforce sending him this way , and he had played against us in the cup a little earlier in the season so knew our set up ) Sadly all of Slough's legends/greats came from an era a long ways back in my humble opinion.

I'm gonna throw Rowan Dodds name into the hat.

Great goal scorer and my first childhood hero.

Mark Fiore... one of the most talented players to pull on a Slough shirt. Only injuries curtailed his career. He was one of the four players to stay with the club after we were demoted from the Conference in the 90s and then after a couple of seasons and injuries, I believe he ran the schools coaching link up (Football In The Community? I forget what it was called.)

The Rebels we've lost in the last few years are all legends in their own way.