Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

1990s

Tom S

Yes, that's the one. He got an elbow on his nose but the referee (who'd already booked Leroy Whale for striking the goalkeeper's studs with his shin) only saw the retaliation. I stayed locally for the weekend and travelled back on the Monday. I remember the Northern Echo (or whatever the local daily was called) had a picture of Roberts being shown the card from which all traces of the blood on his shirt had been edited out. 

Like LS I think it's the furthest North game I been too as well.

I remember the "welcome" some of the locals gave us too.

Picked myself out in the crowd.. Decent away following that day!! Remember singing 'you've only got two sides' as Kingsway had cricket stuff on two of the sides. it was a great ground other than that... that terrace we were on was good.

Budgie played in goal for us that day.

Thanks Tom. I love seeing these old photos and the memories they bring. Spotted myself in a 'Tesco Bag' shirt and scarf. I remember chatting to locals over a beer in the social club and the very same ones in Newcastle shirts waiting for the coaches outside the ground where Bubbles was given a 'parting gift'. The replay on the following Tuesday was a magical night. From memory Paul Turner ( I think I spotted Bob in one photo on the terracing) hooked in a half volley from a corner, at the Town end , with about 10 to go ? A lot of those faces were at Staines last week, 32 years later.

Archived