Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Lewes

djwilf

Happy New Year everyone

So after a shall we say sticky November.....the arrival of the Chosen One certainly coincided with our upturn in form.

Now that he's out for some time, what do we expect tomorrow?

Is it back to 5 in midfield

4 1 1?

Will Josh or Bilal get a start as a result?

Either way looks to be an exciting matchup.

Hats off to Lewes for trying to play the ball out from the keeper as to our continued hoof forward from Joe but there’s more than one way to play the game... played well for the first twenty five of the second half before injuries and subs and rolling over on the floor brought the second half to a standstill... four minutes extra time was a joke could easily have been ten....in the end a draw was fair but we were probably the most likely to win....

1 hour ago, Theodopolous said:

in the end a draw was fair but we were probably the most likely to win....

Tend to agree Theo, but yet again we were unable to get the win at home.  Perhaps it was because we were back to Bricknell having to ploughing his own field up front. Yes we had one player supporting him from behind (Youngs) but hardly ever along side. The one exception was our goal when Billy played it off to him.

I had hoped that after having seen what happens when two strikers play off one another we would have at least started with the same set up but that was wishful thinking. However, with Mo's projected two month absence, I hope that there is some truth in the rumour that another striker is being considered to step into his role.

Thankfully, once again other results conspired to be in our favour but we cannot rely on that every week.  

We cannot continue with just drawing at home if we are to stay in the play-off positions. So far we have had 6 draws out of 12 home games played. Even if two of them had been converted into wins they would have us in 2nd place and within striking distance of Haringey.

The next few weeks are going to be crucial and I sincerely hope we meet the challenge.

agree with your comments 4WF... problem is any new partner for Billy won’t be Like Mo... he seems a special talent bringing an unknown factor to our game...we tried Liam on plenty of occasions towards the end of games and that never worked.... I’m sure the 4-5-1 would work better if we played the ball out from the back .. we had plenty of opportunities today with two wide men but the constant long balls makes it so hard to open defences up.... I thought Sam was excellent today it’s unusual to see a player with his talent work so hard running across Lewes back line trying to disrupt their flow....it’s a very tight league and winning our home games is so important... I still believe we have the players but again tactically we fell short....

MoM deserved by Mickey yesterday. One of the best games I have seen him play. Also unselfish when the substitutions were made he seemed to revert to central defence and left Weatherstone? able to come up for corners.

Agree with the feeling that we seemd to revert to one forward with the loss of Mo but Youngs put in a lot of work between midfield and Billy. I think we would have won easily if Billy had another partner.

In the clear light of dawn I feel that I should be a little more welcoming to an additional point gained. But as I have said before we must be more positive in our approach in 50/50 games if we are to retain or improve our position.

Let's hope that Andy proves right and that we are indeed looking for a replacement for MO to off set his enforced absence. At the same time I am sure we all wish him a speedy recovery to fitness and to be back  playing soon. As Theo rightly inferred Mo certainly brings a new dimension to the team.  

Fear to say it however the way with set up with Billy plus 1 rarely if ever works.

I think if you look at our set up from set pieces/goal kicks by their gk etc......there will usually only be 1 outcome...loss of possession.

Yes, if you asked me yesterday if we'd take a point I'd probably say yes however I think we have plenty in reserve.

Matt is usually the one that sits in front....no issue with this....however all season long/or the games that I have seen the issue is the distance between the front line and midfield.

Billy chases what he can, and Sam was as tireless yesterday as ever, however the distance from Sam to Billy and the rest of the midfield to Billy is all too noticeable.

It seems we are scared to press together....or keep them in a corner when we get the chance.

The only exception to this yesterday was Sam getting beyond Billy for the goal.....when we do link up with midfielders....and Aaron was surprisingly quiet against a composed RB yesterday.....we always seem to pose a threat.

No idea what may happen in the next few weeks as has already been said on here our Home form has too many draws where we should be winning.

Hopefully won't keep things as they are ....Mo made a massive impact in a short time and this was alongside Billy.

I don't even think playing CAM is the answer.....the midfield need to get closer to the forwards and Billy needs a partner up front as his link up play is as good as his scoring.

Enjoyable game, but was hopeful we could take all 3 points ... draw was probably a fair result - we were the better side overall but they had a couple of really good chances.

The positives from me:

- Mickey had a fantastic game and well deserved MOTM. I think his versatility has counted against him as he has played as both full backs, midfield and up front - and not had a specific team position - he would be one of the first names on my teamsheet the way he is playing. A great run in the 1st half could have resulted in a goal!

- Sam Youngs had another great game with a great goal 

- Bilal had some promising touches - just needs to play the ball at the right time - in the 2nd half had a couple of great runs but having skinned the defender he tried to take on another rather than the cross/pass, resulting in loss of possession - he is young, and I think he can be an important part of the team this year.

- Felt like there was a good team spirit - and with Weatherstone at the back we feel so much more secure.

The disappointments for me were

- slow to start each half -  an additional 5 mins in the first half and I think we would have got another. Second half was like the first and we lost our momentum at the break

- poor goal to concede - Rumens should have just cleared it 

- 2 attacking subs given less than 10 mins - if we are to run a smaller squad then we need to have players that can come on and make a difference - so need to be given time

- Still too many hopeful punts downfield - I wouldn't swap Jo for ANY previous ETFC keeper but it does feel wasteful when it's kicked straight into touch

- Considering their keeper did not seem very confident overall, especially with his kicking, don't think we tested him enough.

I would agree that another strike partner for Billy is required - hopefully a deal can be done asap

And the negatives:

- Final 2 subs too late 

- Bench very young again and I assume Wales not likely to come on

Archived