Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Buildbase FA Vase Fifth Round

Leighton Town travel to Bradford Town of the Western League Premier Division in the last sixteen of the competition, ties scheduled for Saturday 8 February:

Corinthian vs Sporting Khalsa.

Bradford Town vs Leighton Town

Consett vs Deal Town or Binfield

Plymouth Parkway vs West Auckland Town

Longridge Town vs Hebburn Town

Wroxham vs Stowmarket Town

Bitten vs Sutton Common Rovers

Atherstone Town vs Worcester City or Coventry United

I don't know an awful lot about Bradford Town so I'm afraid I can't reliably inform you, however I see that they sit joint top in the Toolstation Western League Premier Division with Plymouth Parkway, who also made it through to the Fifth Round on Saturday, and have lost just two games all season, drawing one. Leighton Town can still travel to Trowbridge Road on 8 February though with some confidence of winning the tie on the day, taking into account their current run of form, or taking them back to Bell Close should the two Club's agree on a replay. Bradford Town have equaled their best ever FA Vase performance when they reached the Fifth Round in both 2014/15 and 2017/18 so they will be looking to go one better however Leighton Town have already reached the heady heights of the Quarter Finals in 2017/18 when they went down narrowly 1-0 at home to 1874 Northwich.

I see there is an article in the Swindon Advertiser where Bradford Town supremo Wayne Thorne is already quite bullish about his side's chances at Trowbridge Road on 8 February and plans to have Leighton Town watched prior to the tie:

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/pics/swindonfootball/18158172.bradford-town-manager-wayne-thorne-wants-supporters-array-local-wiltshire-clubs-support-team-will-line-leighton-town-fa-vase-last-16/

The Wiltshire Times has the same article but a different picture of Bradford Town supremo Wayne Thorne who appears to think that his side are already in the last eight of the competition. or at least gives that impression. Thorne seems to be seriously underestimating Leighton Town who, since starting the campaign so disastrously up until 12 October, have embarked on an incredible run of nine league wins and a draw as well as FA Vase wins against Hadleigh United, Broxbourne Borough, Eastbourne Town and Eynesbury Rovers, in addition the Club have reached the Quarter Finals of both the the Challenge Trophy and Premier Division Cup:

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/sport/18156725.bradford-town-manager-wayne-thorne-reacts-news-side-will-host-leighton-town-fa-vase-fifth-round-saturday-february-8/

Edited by Rhodes

I was reading this from Bradford Town's website, following their Fourth Round win last Saturday, and £2,250 in prize money for reaching the FA Vase Quarter Finals isn't particularly great is is, infact it is quite measly, surely the FA could stump up a bit more:

Buildbase FA VASE 4th Round

Buckland Athletic 1-2 BRADFORD TOWN
Att: 174

A hard fought encounter at a wet and windy Homers Heath saw Bradford hold on to secure a place in the last 16 for the second time in their history. Town took a 1-0 lead into the break after a vicious Jamie Lyons free-kick was glanced into the corner of the net from the head of Dean Griffiths. After the restart Buckland began to press and with the wind behind them managed to level the scores with a smart shot from the edge of the penalty area.  

Bradford responded almost immediately when the tireless Gary Higdon chipped a cross into the box for Charlie Maddison to head home sparking wild celebrations among the travelling Blue Army. 

The draw for the 5th Round sees Bradford host Leighton Town of the South Midlands Premier Division. The tie will take place on Saturday 8th February at Trowbridge Road. The winners will claim £2,250 in prize money with the losing side receiving £750.

• 3 weeks later...

Leighton Lad - Were you at Colney Heath this afternoon, I assume that a repeat performance will be enough to win at Bradford Town next Saturday or at least take them back to Bell Close

Six days to go folks to the big one:

Taken from Leighton Town's website, I'm surprised the Coach is leaving Bell Close so late as there are usually delays on the M4 motorway, especially on a Saturday:

COACH TRAVEL INFORMATION - FA VASE 8TH FEBRUARY

Tickets for the coach to the FA Vase game at Bradford on Avon on 8th February 2020 will be on sale

from the Club on Monday evening from 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm and Wednesday evening from 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm.

Under 18’s will have to be accompanied by a responsible adult.

The cost is £12.50 per ticket.

The coach will leave Bell Close at 11:30 prompt

On 01/02/2020 at 20:50, Rhodes said:

Leighton Lad - Were you at Colney Heath this afternoon, I assume that a repeat performance will be enough to win at Bradford Town next Saturday or at least take them back to Bell Close

No afraid not but from the reports sounds like a deserved result. The team do seem to raise their game when the opposition is better

2 hours ago, LeightonLad said:

No afraid not but from the reports sounds like a deserved result. The team do seem to raise their game when the opposition is better

Leighton Lad - Yes, I have found with some Club's that they raise their game when playing against the better teams, I guess it was a case of Wembley bringing you down to their level last week although I'm not sure what happened at Potton United on Tuesday in the Challenge Trophy, it was a bit of a pasting wasn't it. 

It's getting closer by the minute isn't it folks:

The clock is ticking isn't it, Bradford Town won again on Saturday, 4-0 at home to lowly Chipping Sodbury Town, to remain three points clear of Plymouth Parkway at the summit of the Toolstation Western League Premier Division. Their supremo Wayne Thorne will, however, have been worried sick when debriefed on Leighton Town's hard fought win at Colney Heath by Club members who were no doubt despatched the 120 or so miles to the Recreation Ground to spy on Joe Sweeney's men:

3 hours ago, Rhodes said:

The clock is ticking isn't it, Bradford Town won again on Saturday, 4-0 at home to lowly Chipping Sodbury Town, to remain three points clear of Plymouth Parkway at the summit of the Toolstation Western League Premier Division. Their supremo Wayne Thorne will, however, have been worried sick when debriefed on Leighton Town's hard fought win at Colney Heath by Club members who were no doubt despatched the 120 or so miles to the Recreation Ground to spy on Joe Sweeney's men:

Thank God for your daily reminders otherwise I would forget when the game is being played

I see that, surprise, surprise, Leighton Town have brought forward their coach departure time from Bell Close on Saturday to 11.00am but even that is a bit on the late side, what's wrong with 9.30 or 10.00 and then sample the pre-match atmosphere at a new ground, as well as have lunch and a couple of drinks, rather than get there just before kick off:

The remaining coach tickets will be on sale tonight from the club, 7:30-9PM! 

Make sure you head down this evening to avoid disappointment and join us on the road to BradfordTown Fc

Edited by Rhodes

Like I said, the clock is ticking by the second isn't it: