Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Mursley United

Seeing as we sadly didn't have a SSML Division 2 Cup Final this year, here are over ninety photographs from the 2017 Final, held at Cow Lane on 19 April 2017, between Mursley United and The 61 FC (Luton) which Mursley United won 3-1 with a Danny Clarke hat trick despite The 61 FC (Luton) taking the lead. It was a fitting end to Manager Simon Jay's two year reign at Station Road and he was succeeded by current Manager Anthony Lands for the start of the 2017/18 campaign:

Spartan South Midlands League, Division 2 Cup final

Edited by Rhodes

More old photographs, this time from Mursley United's SSML Division 2 fixture with Champions elect Thame Rangers at Station Road on 11 April 2017, a week before their Division 2 Cup Final with The 61 FC (Luton), Thame Rangers won 4-2:

Mursley Utd v Thame Rangers 11.04.2017

Photographs and match report from Aston Clinton v Mursley United in a SSML Division 2 fixture on 2 May 2018 which Aston Clinton won 5-0 with two goals from Mitchell Collins, Alex McGowan, Alex Little and Ryan Binnee, the scoreline slightly flattered Aston Clinton as it was only 1-0 at the break:

https://www.astonclintonfc.co.uk/item.php?pg=fixtures&pd=1025&sort=sdate&order=asc&fsea=all&frt=all&offset=6&it=1448#report

Aston Clinton v Mursley United SSMFLD2

t

Photographs from a pre-season friendly between Mursley United and Ampthill Town at an Emirates like Station Road on 22 July 2017 which Ampthill Town won 3-0:

Mursley United v Ampthill Town PSF

Mursley United v Old Bradwell United in an early 2017/18 season SSML Division 2 fixture on 15 August 2017 which Mursley United won 3-2:

Mursley United v Old Bradwell United SSML D2

Mursley United v Grendon Rangers at the end of last term, on 6 April 2019, in a SSML Division 2 fixture which Mursley United won 4-2, striker Tom Brazier was instrumental scoring twice for the home side. Both teams finished with ten men due to some over zealous refereeing in what was a competitive but never dirty local derby at Station Road: 

Mursley United v Grendon Rangers SSMFL

Mursley United v Pitstone & Ivinghoe in a 2017/18 season SSML Division 2 fixture at Station Road on 24 March 2018 which Mursley United won 3-2, they also won by the same scoreline at Marsworth Road earlier in the campaign:

Mursley United v Pitstone & Ivinghoe SSMFLD2

• 1 month later...

Photographs from, wait for it, Friday 9 May 2008, and the SSML Division Two Cup Final between Mursley United and Kings Langley at Cow Lane which Kings Langley won 6-0, attendance 162. I am not sure why it was a Friday night and the same night as the North Bedfordshire Charity Cup Final but I don't think Karen was fixture secretary twelve years ago, Kings Langley won Division Two that 2007/2008 season and finished second in Division One the following season to Royston Town who relied on Craig Hammond's 61 league goals in just 26 appearances:

https://s643.photobucket.com/user/ewaumsley/library/SSML Div Two Cup Final 9th May 2008?sort=3&page=1

Edited by Rhodes

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

These old topics are an interesting read ?

Savagebee - Yes, you're right, it was a much better Forum back in the day and there were no holds barred or beating about the bush, everyone just said what was on their mind and how they felt and there were no hard feelings afterwards. Even players and Managers joined in and as soon as they were back indoors at 6.30 or 7.00pm on a Saturday or 10.30 or 11.00pm on a Tuesday or Wednesday night they were straight on the Forum to give their side of the story. 

10 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - Yes, you're right, it was a much better Forum back in the day and there were no holds barred or beating about the bush, everyone just said what was on their mind and how they felt and there were no hard feelings afterwards. Even players and Managers joined in and as soon as they were back indoors at 6.30 or 7.00pm on a Saturday or 10.30 or 11.00pm on a Tuesday or Wednesday night they were straight on the Forum to give their side of the story. 

Yep the days before this forum went PG ?

Does anybody remember this out of interest, from an anorak on another Forum, Mursley United did indeed win the SSML Division Two Championship in 2001/2002 by just one point from Haywood United and Luton Old Boys retired from the SSML that season having reached the heady heights of the old Senior Division in 1998/99 by winning the old Division One North in 1997/98. The Club are still in existence, albeit as a Sunday League Club, playing in the Premier Division of the North Home Counties Sunday Football League, they also have youth teams  from Under 9's to Under 18's. It must have been strange to see Mursley United emulate Scotland in Tallinn, Estonia on 9 October 1996, the game also reminds me a bit of when Winslow United failed to turn up to a game at Claremont Road against Kentish Town, on 7 October 2006 if I recall, making a phone call at about 1.30pm that, apparently, there had been a traffic accident and they would not be coming:

2002 - Spartan South Midlands League - Division Two
Mursley United A-A Luton Old Boys
This was an early kickoff due to the FA Cup final being at the traditional time of 3pm. I arrived to see the usual signs of an impending match - committee members serving tea, players warming up and a smattering of spectators. But it soon became apparent that the away team had not arrived, and then the phone call came to say that they couldn't raise a team. I thought the committee members would be annoyed and maybe even angry but in fact they were very sanguine about the situation, no doubt sympathizing with their fellow committee members at Luton OBs.
Mursley were already champions so the result was of no relevance, but they still lined up, kicked off and scored into a empty net. The game lasted about 6 seconds, can I count it as a tick?

SSML Division Two 2001/2002
Pos  Name                            Pld    W    D    L   GF   GA  Pts
   1  Mursley United                   30   21    6    3  111   35   69
   2  Haywood United                   30   21    5    4  117   47   68
   3  Shillington                      30   20    3    7   83   34   63
   4  Old Dunstablians                 30   20    2    8  100   39   62
   5  Padbury United                   30   18    6    6   76   42   60
   6  Crawley Green Sports             30   16    6    8   76   51   54
   7  Cranfield United                 30   14    5   11   55   51   47
   8  Abbey National                   30   13    7   10   55   53   46
   9  Buckingham Athletic              30   11    3   16   60   57   36
  10  Caddington                       30   10    4   16   58   64   34
  11  Kent Athletic                    30    9    7   14   53   61   34
  12  Milcutt Rovers                   30   11    2   17   57   77   32 *
  13  Old Bradwell United              30    8    6   16   53   69   30
  14  Flamstead                        30    8    3   19   51   94   27
  15  Totternhoe                       30    5    3   22   47  105   18
  16  Scot                             30    1    0   29   23  196    3
      Luton Old Boys                   RECORD EXPUNGED
      North Crawley United             RECORD EXPUNGED
* - Milcutt Rovers 3 points deducted

• 3 weeks later...

Savagebee - Do you think I should apply now I'm retired and have more time on my hands

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - Do you think I should apply now I'm retired and have more time on my hands

Yeah go for it Rhodes why not.

22 hours ago, Rhodes said:

What have you got to lose ??

On 04/07/2020 at 20:15, Rhodes said:

I'm sure with your impressive CV you will get the job.

6 minutes ago, petethegreek said:

I'm sure with your impressive CV you will get the job.

Thanks for that, I doubt Karen would want to work hand in hand with me though if I was to become a Secretary of a SSML Club in the future. I hope you are well, I may be stealing your thunder soon and opening a Pre-Season Friendlies thread.

Just now, Rhodes said:

Thanks for that, I doubt Karen would want to work hand in hand with me though if I was to become a Secretary of a SSML Club in the future. I hope you are well, I may be stealing your thunder soon and opening a Pre-Season Friendlies thread.

You go for it.

Some photographs from Mursley United v New Bradwell St Peter in a 2014/15 SSML Division 2 fixture at Station Road on 30 August 2014 which resulted in a 1-1 stalemate, James Wardell netted for Mursley United who has loyally spent most of his career at Station Road:

Mursley United FC

Edited by Rhodes