Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Keep the banter going

Hi Joes, it would be good to get your take on the season so far albeit just two League games in or three if you reply after the game with Biggleswade United tomorrow, are you looking forward to meeting the 'Pep Guardiola of Non League' or have you met him before. There has of course been four FA Cup ties hence why only the two League games whereas some Club's have already played six, it was a rollercoaster whilst it lasted with the wins over Abingdon United, Harefield United and Mildenhall Town however do you feel the run could have possibly continued had Leiston not been allowed to score those two very early goals, they certainly seemed to be there for the taking in the second half and you wouldn't have been able to tell who the Step 3 side was had you not known. Anyway there's still the FA Vase to come, the best of luck for the rest of the season.

• 5 weeks later...

Joes has been as quiet as a mouse lately hasn't he which is a shame as it's great when he posts. Anyway there's a thread on another Forum entitled 'Watching a Lockdown Match from Outside the Ground' and I was wondering whether any members have attempted to do that this season at, for example, Crawley Green, Hillingdon Borough or Park View, at Park View's New River Sports Centre it's easily possible:

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/watching-a-lockdown-match-from-outside-the-ground.3089/

Hello lads

Hope your all well. 

2 weeks left of this, then we can hopefully get cracking again. 

Any questions feel free to pop them on here

Ps, question for you 

We all know putman holds the record for most goals scored in a season for oxhey, but who comes 2nd and 3rd in goals scored in spartan prem in a season. 

2 hours ago, Joes said:

Hello lads

Hope your all well. 

2 weeks left of this, then we can hopefully get cracking again. 

Any questions feel free to pop them on here

Ps, question for you 

We all know putman holds the record for most goals scored in a season for oxhey, but who comes 2nd and 3rd in goals scored in spartan prem in a season. 

2 Weeks if we are lucky and our Supreme Leaders let us back out ?

Danny Watson?

13 hours ago, Savagebee said:

Danny Watson?

Yes, Danny Watson scored 43 League goals in 39 appearances for Ampthill Town during the 2013/14 season so I believe he is second to Lewis Putman who netted 52 goals in just 26 League appearances for Oxhey Jets in 2012/13. In third place is Ryan Redford who scored a decent 40 League goals in 24 gamess for Hertford Town in 2006/07, see photographs of all three prolific goalscorers:

Ryan Redford ImageDanny Watson ImageLewis Putman Image

Edited by Rhodes

The above list includes Cup goals doesn't it so it's a bit misleading, a Premier Division Club will often draw a Division Two Club in the First Round of the Challenge Trophy for example and the leading striker scores five or six, Putman scored five against Kent Athletic in a 9-1 win the season he scored 81 goals and it also includes his numerous goals when Oxhey Jets won both the Herts FA Charity Shield and SSML Senior Floodlit Cup that season.

13 hours ago, Joes said:

Updated ?

IMG_20201116_065355.jpg

Any chance of a Division One one of the above ?

1 hour ago, Savagebee said:

Any chance of a Division One one of the above ?

Savagebee - I think Joes just knocked that up on his computer and to highlight 'Webby's' great achievement in what wasn't even a full season, he would have added another fifteen goals at least. Craig Hammond's 61 League goals in just 26 appearances for Royston Town in Division One in 2008/09 won't be beaten and I think he added another 25 in all Cup competitions as Royston Town won the Division One Cup and SSML Senior Floodlit Cup, reached the Final of the Herts FA Charity Shield and Semi Final of the East Anglian Cup. Craig left Garden Walk at the end of that season for then Conference Club Histon so, to answer Winslow Boy's question, didn't play for Royston Town in the SSML Premier Division but somehow they got promoted to Step 4 without him in 2011/12 which showed what an amazing Manager Paul Attfield was.

15 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - I think Joes just knocked that up on his computer and to highlight 'Webby's' great achievement in what wasn't even a full season, he would have added another fifteen goals at least. Craig Hammond's 61 League goals in just 26 appearances for Royston Town in Division One in 2008/09 won't be beaten and I think he added another 25 in all Cup competitions as Royston Town won the Division One Cup and SSML Senior Floodlit Cup, reached the Final of the Herts FA Charity Shield and Semi Final of the East Anglian Cup. Craig left Garden Walk at the end of that season for then Conference Club Histon so, to answer Winslow Boy's question, didn't play for Royston Town in the SSML Premier Division but somehow they got promoted to Step 4 without him in 2011/12 which showed what an amazing Manager Paul Attfield was.

Oh yes of course he went to Histon, they hit the ceiling and fell spectacularly didn’t they?

Winslow Boy - Yes, that's right, Craig did great at Histon considering their financial problems and the huge jump he made from Step Six to the Conference in one fell swoop, it says it all about him. He just had the one 2009/10 season at Bridge Road before moving to Southern League Premier Division Cambridge City and the rest is history with the Club finishing fourth in 2010/11, fifth in 2011/12 and eighth in 2012/13, losing twice in a promotion semi final playoff. You will no doubt recall that midway through the 2010/11 campaign, with Craig already on 22 goals at Milton Road, he went to Loftus Road for trials and starred in QPR Reserves 2-2 draw with Charlton at their training ground at Harlington. Glenn Hoddle was at the match and even pulled Craig to one side afterwards to compliment him however, for some strange reason, he wasn't offered terms by Neil Warnock and returned to Cambridge City where he continued his phenomenal goal scoring exploits for them.

Edited by Rhodes

He was a very good player and he did well higher up, seemed to jack it all early for some reason. I wonder if the reason he never made the final step was a physical one, he wasn’t a physical specimen in fairness was he? 

Winslow Boy - Craig's time at Histon was talked about on another thread if you remember after you mentioned that you had played against the great man twice, Craig was initially brought to Bridge Road by then Manager Steve Fallon who unfortunately left the Club in January 2010 after four promotions following a falling out with then Chairman Tony Roach. Craig didn't get along with Fallon's successor Alan Lewer, who had only joined Histon from Grays Athletic in October 2009, Lewer was 'a maverick' and a total disgrace, it's hardly surprising he left the Club at the end of that season albeit after he delighted in cancelling Craig's contract. Anyway, as I said, Craig went on to join Cambridge City and the rest is history, as far as I'm aware he stopped playing early for family and work reasons but, as you say, he could and should have gone all the way, it's still a mystery why Neil Warnock didn't stand over him whilst he signed on the dotted line:

4 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Winslow Boy - Craig's time at Histon was talked about on another thread if you remember after you mentioned that you had played against the great man twice, Craig was initially brought to Bridge Road by then Manager Steve Fallon who unfortunately left the Club in January 2010 after four promotions following a falling out with then Chairman Tony Roach. Craig didn't get along with Fallon's successor Alan Lewer, who had only joined Histon from Grays Athletic in October 2009, Lewer was 'a maverick' and a total disgrace, it's hardly surprising he left the Club at the end of that season albeit after he delighted in cancelling Craig's contract. Anyway, as I said, Craig went on to join Cambridge City and the rest is history, as far as I'm aware he stopped playing early for family and work reasons but, as you say, he could and should have gone all the way, it's still a mystery why Neil Warnock didn't stand over him whilst he signed on the dotted line:

Was talk of him playing last season or season before but he rubbished all those rumours apparently. A real shame. His level was step 2/3 and doing well at that level in my opinion. Certainly the best centre forward I saw in Spartan. 

I see this was a really popular thread that Daily Dose created back in May 2017, I wonder why it got no replies. You have to say that the most successful SSML Manager(s) were Steve Newing and Del Deanus at Edgware Town for lifting the domestic treble in 2006/07, no other team has ever achieved that. They also reached the Fourth Round of the FA Vase that season and were unlucky to lose 1-0 at The White Lion Ground to Sussex County League Whitehawk in a replay after a 1-1 draw in Brighton, GRS67 was at both ties as well as most, if not all, of the games that season:

On 20/11/2020 at 09:36, Daily Dose said:

That’s a great spot, I remember creating and wondering why no one commented at the time ?. And at the time, In the words of the Wealdstone Raider, “you ain’t got no fans’, springs to mind.

Mick Foster would be up there I would guess. It’s a hard one because what date range are we talking about? So many managers don’t stay in anyone place too long etc...