Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bedford FC

Posted (edited)

In addition, see over sixty photographs from Tuesday evening's comprehensive 6-0 win over FC Romania at McMullen Park, courtesy of groundhopper and photographer Local Bus Driver:

Real Bedford FC 6-0 FC Romania (9-4-24)

Edited by Rhodes

On 25/03/2024 at 09:37, Rhodes said:

Strangely, surprisingly and disappointingly Wootton Blue Cross Lionesses forfeited the Semi Final tie yesterday meaning that Real Bedford Ladies progress to the Final of the Bedfordshire FA Women's County Cup where they will meet AFC Dunstable Ladies who had surprisingly defeated Luton Town Ladies at Sharpenhoe Road last week on penalties following a 2-2 draw, the Ladies are now on course to win two Cup competitions this season in addition to the Eastern Region Women's League Premier Division Championship.  

Real Bedford Ladies Eastern Region Women's League Cup Final against Wroxham Ladies will take place at Newmarket Town's plush Cricket Field Road ground on Sunday 19 May with the Bedfordshire FA Women's County Cup Final against AFC Dunstable Ladies still to be arranged. Could it be an unprecedented treble for the Ladies this season with last Sunday's surprising 4-1 home defeat to Haringey Borough Ladies surely just 'a blip' or 'blot on the landscape':

Eastern Region Women's League Cup Final - v Wroxham FC Ladies at Newmarket Town FC on Sunday 19 May, kick off 3.00pm

Bedfordshire FA Women's County Cup Final - v AFC Dunstable Ladies tbc

9 hours ago, LondonEagle said:

Match preview here:

https://www.realbedford.com/news/this-week-at-real-bedford

Odd mentiioning the car parking agreement with Bedford Town as Bedford Town are also at home on Saturday and there is no car parking agreement with them. Makes you wonder what you can believe that comes out of McMullen Park

LondonEagle - Thanks for that but I can't help thinking your post in tinged with a bit of jealousy or 'sour grapes' of what your 'noisy neighbours' are achieving both on and off the field of play. Surely Bedford Town have more to think about than car parking space at The Eyrie although I hadn't realised that both Club's were playing at home tomorrow until you mentioned it and, admittedly, it could become crowded with big attendances expected at both fixtures, are there plenty of free parking spaces available nearby out of interest.

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

LondonEagle - Thanks for that but I can't help thinking your post in tinged with a bit of jealousy or 'sour grapes' of what your 'noisy neighbours' are achieving both on and off the field of play. Surely Bedford Town have more to think about than car parking space at The Eyrie although I hadn't realised that both Club's were playing at home tomorrow until you mentioned it and, admittedly, it could become crowded with big attendances expected at both fixtures, are there plenty of free parking spaces available nearby out of interest.

No very little parking at all nearby. it's actually quite dangerous parking on the verge. It could have been a possible title-decider at the Eyrie tomorrow as well if not for Town's drastic dip in form.

It is the reunion of the 1981 Southern League Cup Winners side at The Eyrie tomorrow though, so will probably be two 400+ crowds. The leagues should not really have scheduled the 2 games both at home at the same tine. Good luck to both Bedford sides tomorrow.        

Edited by LondonEagle

19 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Here is the programme for tomorrow (Friday 12 April), on Saturday delegates and everyone else will all adjourn mid morning to McMullen Park when I'm assuming a coach or mini buses will be laid on from the Conference centre, I know that Mr McCormack has left no stone unturned with the arrangements. Enjoy the Conference for those attending

A photograph from the Corn Exchange Conference Centre in Bedford this morning, need I say more:

1 hour ago, LondonEagle said:

No very little parking at all nearby. it's actually quite dangerous parking on the verge. It could have been a possible title-decider at the Eyrie tomorrow as well if not for Town's drastic dip in form.
It is the reunion of the 1981 Southern League Cup Winners side at The Eyrie tomorrow though, so will probably be two 400+ crowds. The leagues should not really have scheduled the 2 games both at home at the same tine. Good luck to both Bedford sides tomorrow.        

LondonEagle - Thanks for that, Mr McCormack will want everything to go smoothly throughout tomorrow and give the best possible impression of his Club to 'the great and the good' who have travelled far and wide at their own expense for the Conference and the match so he won't take kindly to any interference from Bedford Town particularly if 'a jobsworth' happens to make a fuss, and a scene, about car parking outside the two adjacent grounds.

Having been to the ground parking is a real issue, never experienced when both sides are at home the same day but I can see it being chaos. 

What are peoples estimates on attendances at the Real Bedford game tomorrow? Is there a way to look at the previous attendances? To memory, a lot of the recent home games seem to be around the 100-130 mark. 400+ seems a mighty jump. 

Also, am I right in thinking that the league will not officially be decided Saturday after Irish’s win last night?

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, PatrollR24 said:

Also, am I right in thinking that the league will not officially be decided Saturday after Irish’s win last night?

PatrollR24 - Hello, I was just about to post on that, it would have been nice if Milton Keynes Irish had dropped points last night at Arlesey Town and, as it stands, following their 1-0 win, unfortunately the Championship can't be won tomorrow afternoon at McMullen Park. That would have been the icing on the cake, or Angel on top of the Christmas tree, wouldn't it with so many in attendance including 'the great and the good' from far and wide who are in Bedford for the Conference this weekend. Regarding the attendance tomorrow, it's difficult to gauge exactly, I believe the highest attendance of the season at McMullen Park was an amazing 471 against Stansted in October followed by 362 against Milton Keynes Irish on the very first day of the season so I would estimate, if most of the delegates from the Conference attends, about 550.

Edited by Rhodes

59 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

LondonEagle - Thanks for that, Mr McCormack will want everything to go smoothly throughout tomorrow and give the best possible impression of his Club to 'the great and the good' who have travelled far and wide at their own expense for the Conference and the match so he won't take kindly to any interference from Bedford Town particularly if 'a jobsworth' happens to make a fuss, and a scene, about car parking outside the two adjacent grounds.

Rhodes. The Bedford Town stewards will be inside their car park. Not outside. But they're expecting a big crowd as well and it's their car park, so it's not for fans of Real Bedford or Tring to use. It's not anyone at Bedford Town's fault that Real Bedford have put out a misleading and false statement about an imaginary agreement to use Bedford Town's car park.   

Bulletin folks, I understand that today's Conference is going swimmingly and Mr McCormack has the delegates, and everyone else present at the Corn Exchange Conference Centre in Bedford eating out of the palm of his hand:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LondonEagle said:

Rhodes. The Bedford Town stewards will be inside their car park. Not outside. But they're expecting a big crowd as well and it's their car park, so it's not for fans of Real Bedford or Tring to use. It's not anyone at Bedford Town's fault that Real Bedford have put out a misleading and false statement about an imaginary agreement to use Bedford Town's car park.   

LondonEagle - Well exactly, that's what I meant by 'jobsworths', or 'stewards' as you called them 'laying the law down' outside the two adjacent stadiums tomorrow afternoon, there's no requisite to pre-book car parking space at the Eyrie on match days is there so surely it's 'first come first served'. As I said earlier Mr McCormack will want everything to go 'by the numbers' throughout the day tomorrow and give the best possible impression of Real Bedford FC, he won't take very kindly to any embarrassment caused to him by Bedford Town in front of 'the great and the good' who have travelled far and wide at their own expense for the Conference and the potential SSML Premier Division Championship winning match with Tring Athletic.

Edited by Rhodes

Posted (edited)

You have to hand it to the dedicated Real Bedford live stream production and commentary team, particularly Benji 'David Coleman' Roberts for coming out in all weathers, rain or shine, to bring us matches week in week out, Benji's 'quips' are becoming legendary although I haven't heard 'interesting, very interesting' as yet followed by 'look at his face, just look at his face' 😉:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com%2F5dcaaeaaa52ab803dd106a18d%2Fimages%2Ff4a2398a-27d1-d5e3-f57a-19b677b45d49.jpeg&t=1712935732&ymreqid=d41d8cd9-8f00-b204-1c43-aa0004015800&sig=DCoWY8TVV_MGcJqKsU2atg--~D

Edited by Rhodes

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, RallyInRaleigh said:

RallyInRaleigh - Thanks, what can you say, it's one good news story after another isn't it. I notice LondonEagle hasn't commented on that, Bedford Town would have got the cool $4.5 million had the Club not been so short sighted and frogmarched Mr McCormack off the premises when he came knocking on the door of The Eyrie to buy the Club. Enjoy the live stream of the Tring Athletic game later on, is that at 10.00am your time, I expect you will be sitting back with an early Budweiser and some Hershey bars 😉. I see that there is another incredible bargain basement package for groundhoppers of £12 which includes entrance, a match programme, a Club enamel badge and a hot drink:

Real Bedford v Tring Athletic | Real Bedford FC | Running Bitcoin

Edited by Rhodes

On 10/04/2024 at 17:33, Cruz said:

Hi Rhodes. I believe Mick Collins is standing in the middle row on the far left? One other point I have heard rumours that Wellingborough Town have failed the ground grading as their changing rooms are too small despite Rushden@ Diamonds using the ground several years ago, both teams were hoping to use the Dog and Duck next season and play in the Southern League Div 1 Central next season. Any truth in those rumours?

Cruz - I have only recently found out that BBC Radio Northampton have their own Non League Show on a Monday evening between 6.00pm and 7.00pm. Last Monday there was an interesting feature on Wellingborough Town with their Manager Jake Stone if you are able to listen to it which is 31 minutes into the show, there's no mention at all of the Club failing Step 4 ground grading. I was hoping that Real Bedford would be playing them next season in the Southern League Division One Central however Jake said that they will be going into the Northern Premier League Division One Midlands which is a bit disappointing:

The Non-League Scene - 08/04/2024 - 08/04/2024 - BBC Sounds

20 hours ago, Rhodes said:

LondonEagle - Well exactly, that's what I meant by 'jobsworths', or 'stewards' as you called them 'laying the law down' outside the two adjacent stadiums tomorrow afternoon, there's no requisite to pre-book car parking space at the Eyrie on match days is there so surely it's 'first come first served'. As I said earlier Mr McCormack will want everything to go 'by the numbers' throughout the day tomorrow and give the best possible impression of Real Bedford FC, he won't take very kindly to any embarrassment caused to him by Bedford Town in front of 'the great and the good' who have travelled far and wide at their own expense for the Conference and the potential SSML Premier Division Championship winning match with Tring Athletic.

How can it be first-come first served? Bedford Town pay for the maintenance of the car park, it's not just for any old Tom, Dick or Harry to use.

Just before all the excitement begins at McMullen Park this afternoon, with the men's eagerly awaited Tring Athletic fixture, a gentle reminder that Real Bedford Ladies take on Bowers & Pitsea Ladies tomorrow afternoon, also at McMullen Park, kick off 2.00pm with the game being live streamed. The Ladies will be looking forward to 'exorcising their demons' following last Sunday's shock 4-1 defeat to second in the Eastern Region Women's League Premier Division table Haringey Borough Ladies:

1 hour ago, LondonEagle said:

How can it be first-come first served? Bedford Town pay for the maintenance of the car park, it's not just for any old Tom, Dick or Harry to use.

LondonEagle - McMullen Park was already a hive of activity at 1.00pm, how many did you have in at The Eyrie at that time out of interest. Anyway, seriously, lets hope there were no issues with car parking outside the two grounds, all of the delegates from the Conference were bussed in from the City centre and I assume there was somewhere appropriate for the buses to stop briefly and unload the passengers, are there any parking ticket issues on matchdays in the surrounding residential area like there are at Cockfosters for example:

Interesting write-up of the match here, sounds like everyone had a good day in the sun.

Real Bedford 0 Tring Athletic 0
Spartan South Midlands Premier
Admission £4 (concession by CASH), Programme £2.50

This was possibly the most surreal non league match I have attended.
On entering the car park we were asked if going to the Bedford Town game, which is adjacent. A negative answer directed us to a different car park. The reason seemed to be the size of the crowds; Town a step higher were also at home and attracted 506 spectators. Real's crowd was an astonishing 1031.
On reading the (overpriced) programme it seems this figure was connected to do with a Cheat Code Conference which was being held in Bedford over the weekend, with attendees from all over the globe.
Apparently this is something to do with bitcoin, and the Conference had various speakers on the subject, and one of the other attractions was to visit Real's game. Judging by many in the crowd we were not the only ones visiting McMullen Park for the first time. To be fair though there were plenty wearing new-looking Real Bedford merchandise, and the club house had by far the biggest both selection and numbers of regalia I have seen in a club shop.
A lot of the spectators paid little attention to the game, maybe not a bad call. Real had most of the possession and territory but were unable to break down a determined Tring defence. They looked a skilful side, but lacked creativity. A late penalty was well saved by the visiting keeper leaving what had for a long time seemed an inevitable result.
Real are three points in front of Milton Keynes Irish at the top with two games to go and have a much superior goal difference; their final game is away at well bottom Sawbridgeworth so it would seem they are near certainties for the title.
The ground has one seated stand and one small bit of covered standing, so I am not sure how the numbers add up for ground grading purposes. In addition the there is also the lease situation which may still be unresolved ( see separate thread).
The programme announced this weeks investment of $4.5 million in our project , not sure whether in cash or bitcoin! So money shouldn't be a problem.
There were lots of helpers and everything well organised, and whilst I have no ill will at all against Real, maybe it is just the bitcoin aspect that raises my usually dormant Luddite feelings.
Being long in the non-league game, we've seen it all before, so the dream of being in the Premier League still somehow retains the element of a bubble waiting to burst at some point.