Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A message for old Towner

Richard Katemon

I understand  where are coming from RK but have the for me for example at my age I am lucky to still be here. But that does not stop me having a view based on my many life years of experience as a non-league football supporter and on several occasions assisting in the administration of failing  professional football clubs.

However, at me age and infirmity, I have no intention of usurping any of the Board.  But that does not mean that, as a shareholder and member, I cannot retain the right to express opinions on subjects that I feel may need addressing. That is why  I, together with OT and others, subscribe to this forum.  

When investigating clubs descending into bankruptcy I often discovered that one of the the main reason for their failing was caused by not giving their main source of income, the recurring supporter, consideration. Also the general lack of  any appreciation that running a football club entails. Basically it is unlike any other business venture. The reason being that you have to sell an intangible product, a game of Football. The only way this can be keep your revenue level up is to bring together a team that...... is able to compete at a required level......can win and be entertaining....... be progressive and have reasonable stadia for the spectators. However, the last three requirements become unsustainable if you don't secure a team.  

I am not suggesting that this is the be and end of it, nor am I suggesting that our club is on it's way out.  But I am suggesting that having published a forward plan of action for the club they, the Board, must not lose sight of what keeps the club running.  THE PROFICENCY OF THE TEAM. 

3 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

I had to amend some of the gibberish in the previous post as I was side track by the call to dinner before I was able to edit it.

Hence the following....

I understand  where are coming from RK as it has been said many times before.  My reply is that I am well past the age to take on the commitment  as a member of the Board. However that does not stop me having a view which I  base on my many  years  experience as a non-league football supporter and having been being engaged in the administration of failing  professional football clubs.

However, as a shareholder and member, I have the right to give opinions for discussion on subjects that I feel may need addressing. That is why  I, together with OT and others, subscribe to this forum.  If there are any other means to make known our view please enlighten us. Any form of AGM at this time being restricted.

Regarding past experiences in winding up Clubs I found related to the lack of appreciation of what it means to run a football club. This it is because it is unlike any other business venture. The reason being that you have to try to sell an intangible product, a game of Football. Like most business the only way to keep your head above water is by keeping  up your revenue stream ahead of expenditure. Where football is different it means above all, have the ability to maintain a team that ........is able to compete at the required level......can win and be entertaining.......have progressive management and a reasonable stadia for the spectators. However, the last four requirements become unsustainable if you don't secure a team able to draw in the crowds. 

I am not suggesting that this is the be and end of it, nor am I suggesting that our club is on it's way out.  But I am suggesting that having published a  business plan of action for the club they, the Board, should not lose sight of this main factor.   TO SECURE A PROFICIENT TEAM. 

er.

15 hours ago, Richard Katemon said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but most of your posts seem to be critical of the way the club is run. And you are more than entitled to have that view. So why not stand for election to the board. If others share your view you may get elected and you can pursue the changes you think need to be made. 

I don't want to be a board member but thank you

I've seen a lot of changes in the club over the years some good some bad,  we have had good managers, some bad , likewise had good players and some very bad .   I've seen a lot of comments on here  about AL got to go, but the board seem happy to keep him , when he started he promised a great team and good runs in cup games , so far in 4 seasons 1 cup ! poor results in fa cup/trophy meaning less money to bring in better players  meaning less money to spend on maintenance. A lot of supporters donating to the floodlight appeal . The standard of football in my opinion has gone down hill  .The keeper we had on loan for the trophy game  I thought had a good game  knew how to play the ball and what happened we got a few goals , now Nathan is back it long kick to our short striker or out for a throw in  or goal kick  then its keeper to defender and miss out midfield  over the head of Billy and they have it . What the hell do they do in training see who can kick the furthest!!  then  go a goal down and we are sh*t cant play .

why oh why have we let 2 good players go they are on dual contract  but I bet we don't get to see them any more Brad wins again

4WF I think your idea of crowd funding players is a good idea  if it means keeping them for a season or two 

RK why don't you be the supporters spokes person

Don’t think there is anything we can do about the players going on dual registration and I think most people understand that. We are simply not in a position to offer football to them until lockdown is lifted. 

And I think we already have a dozen supporters on the board so I’m more than content for them or others who come forward to guide us through the most difficult of times. 

Recently, RK, I ask the question whether it was obligatory to acquiesce to a request to apply the 7 year rule. If it is, then I agree that currently nothing can be done. But we have been assured that the change of status of the players in question was allowed by us not invoking this rule. This we were told was by an "Amicable Agreement"

What some of us are pointing out is that from the news and personal releases being made by BQ and Lyle Della Verde there is no mention of any such short term agreement. Consequently,  it is understandable that members will ask questions. Especially regarding the integrity surrounding such an agreement.

That is something that us oldies still hang on to "Your word is your bond." No doubt in this age this sentiment is regarded as being somewhat naive.

My understanding and I stand to be corrected is if we receive a 7 day approach after 7 days that club can speak to our player and make an offer. At the moment we know we can’t pay players without crowds attending games. Welling , like other National League sides are receiving state funding so they can play without crowds. So after 7 days Welling or another national league club could  have made an offer. I don’t blame players accepting such offers they have bills to play like the rest of us. I think our club deserves some credit for protecting our players livelihood and not delaying that process. Who knows the players may even take into account when they have the opportunity to play for us again. 

Thank you RK for your explanation of how you believe the 7 day rule applies. It appears that there is little one can do once this rule is invoked. I also appreciate the validity regarding the future  attitude of leaving players and I have no argument with players wishing to progress. It is the intention of all of us no matter what we do.  

But there is still the question of the integrity of the parties to the Amicable Agreement. It is inferred by the club's announcement that the terms were undertaken in good faith by all. But it if were believed that one of them renege on their word it could rebound on them.  Especially where trust comes into play. It is still felt by many to be totally unforgivable.

Even in this day and age many still don't like being taken for a ride.

But I am not holding my breathe!!!!!!

Although if we don't enter said arrangement, and hold on to the player for 7 days so they can't play, I suspect that the player would be much less likely to return because things aren't amicable. I think we're ultimately between a rock and a hard place, and that what we've done is probably the better of the two options as it might encourage one or both players to show some loyalty.

Archived