Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Terrible News.

Wildlife rescue

Very sad news. Everyone who supported Enfield during the Southbury Road days, will remember Roger Day with great affection. He was a wonderful player and truly one of the greatest players to ever represent the E's. Roger made 449 appearances for the club during his playing period of 1963/64 - 1976/77 and scored 123 goals during a time of great success for the club. Only eleven players actually scored more than 100 goals for Enfield, during their time with the club, and Roger's contribution proudly sits 8th in the table of our finest goal-scorers, headed by the late, great Tommy Lawrence on 196. Roger was also honoured to play for his country on a number of occasions.

Wonderful memories of a lovely guy and a fantastic player. Condolences to his family.

R I P  Roger.

I can recall Roger running down the wing with an inside forward running with him.

"I'm here, I'm here!" said Roger.

He receives the pass.

"I don't want it!"said Roger.

There was another time, he received the ball out wide around 2 yards from the touch line with the opponent's defence funneling back. He stopped and looked around.

He then started instructing players where to go. Our opponents were mesmerised as if it was a free kick. After a few seconds he stepped away from the ball, still giving his instructions. Finally someone in the opponent's side realised this wasn't a free kick and went to tackle. Quick as a flash he collected the ball and passed the opponent sending over a beautiful cross. 

My father always called him Mr Day. The only player to earn that title.

On 01/12/2020 at 09:39, Steph1 said:

I can recall Roger running down the wing with an inside forward running with him.

"I'm here, I'm here!" said Roger.

He receives the pass.

"I don't want it!"said Roger.

There was another time, he received the ball out wide around 2 yards from the touch line with the opponent's defence funneling back. He stopped and looked around.

He then started instructing players where to go. Our opponents were mesmerised as if it was a free kick. After a few seconds he stepped away from the ball, still giving his instructions. Finally someone in the opponent's side realised this wasn't a free kick and went to tackle. Quick as a flash he collected the ball and passed the opponent sending over a beautiful cross. 

My father always called him Mr Day. The only player to earn that title.

Steph. Please tell the younger readers what an inside forward was. ?

If you had seen Wilf Mannion, Johnny Haynes, Puskus, Jimmy Greave, Len Shackleton etc you wouldn't need to ask. But then I know your just kidding Andy.

But for the youngsters who really don't know it was a midfielder, playmaker and striker all in one. Those were the days. Heavy balls, big boots and muddy pitches but still plenty of skill.  

53 minutes ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

If you had seen Wilf Mannion, Johnny Haynes, Puskus, Jimmy Greave, Len Shackleton etc you wouldn't need to ask. But then I know your just kidding Andy.

But for the youngsters who really don't know it was a midfielder, playmaker and striker all in one. Those were the days. Heavy balls, big boots and muddy pitches but still plenty of skill.  

Nowadays a team would need three different players to play in that role. Bring back the

2-3-5 formation.

13 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

and jumpers as goal posts

And home to Hovis for tea.

Ah those were the days. How many of our youngsters know who the Bisto tramps were.

On 04/12/2020 at 00:02, andyetfc said:

Nowadays a team would need three different players to play in that role. Bring back the

2-3-5 formation.

Wasn't that WM

Archived