Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

SSML Spring Cups

5 hours ago, Rhodes said:

GRS67 - I think that's just sour grapes again isn't it, you regretted not entering Edgware Town in the Spring Cup after entries closed and could have easily combined the five Group B fixtures you would have been guaranteed with your friendly fixtures as Colney Heath have managed to do and they have still progressed to the Semi Final.

I agree with you, Rhodes.

'Dead rubbers' are the friendlies being played when you could have had competitive fixtures with a nice new shiny cup to win. 

Update

The Gladwish SSML Spring Cup 
Group A
Aylesbury Vale Dynamos (Qualified as Group Winners)

Shefford Town & Campton or Biggleswade United (a win for either team would see them qualify)

however a draw opens up the chance for either Newport Pagnell Town or Baldock Town should they win

Group B
Colney Heath and London Lions qualified but who tops group depends on Saturdays results (Currently both teams level and if they match each others results by same scoreline on Saturday a toss of coin who decide who finishes top)

Division Two Spring Cup
Group A
P-P Bovingdon v Berkhamsted Raiders (Bekhamsted Raiders unable to field a side, Bovingdon qualify as Group Winners)
Totternhoe v Sarratt (A Totternhoe win will see them finish runnes up any other result sees Berkhamsted Raiders finish runners up)

Group B
Buckingham United v Mursley United (A dead rubber)
MK Gallacticos v Old Bradwell United (Winners would top the group, a draw would see Old Bradwell United top the group)

New Bradwell St Peter are group runners up regardless of Saturday's results

As one of the teams involved in this (albeit we didn't qualify for the semi finals) it was an excellent tournament and certainly of far more benefit than just playing friendlies.

Had a real competitive edge to it with the added bonus of playing two teams we don't usually play in the league.

Extremely well supported by the officers of the SSML and delighted we will be hosting the final of it on Tuesday 25th May albeit it is my wedding anniversary!!

3 hours ago, Deano5 said:

As one of the teams involved in this (albeit we didn't qualify for the semi finals) it was an excellent tournament and certainly of far more benefit than just playing friendlies.

Had a real competitive edge to it with the added bonus of playing two teams we don't usually play in the league.

Where's GRS67 ?

20 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Where's GRS67 ?

Probably watching a friendly.

On 13/05/2021 at 13:04, Deano5 said:

Extremely well supported by the officers of the SSML and delighted we will be hosting the final of it on Tuesday 25th May albeit it is my wedding anniversary!!

The other final is being played at MK Irish FC on Wednesday 26 May.

PetetheGreek - Edgware Town could well have still been in the competition and looking forward to a Semi Final tomorrow afternoon against either Aylesbury Vale Dynamos or Shefford Town & Campton. They would have surely taken care of Rayners Lane and London Lions in their group and got something from the games with Leverstock Green and Harefield United and possibly even Colney Heath despite losing a friendly to them 4-0 at Silver Jubilee Park on 24 April, as you say you can't compare friendly fixtures to competitive games.

19 hours ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - Edgware Town could well have still been in the competition and looking forward to a Semi Final tomorrow afternoon against either Aylesbury Vale Dynamos or Shefford Town & Campton. They would have surely taken care of Rayners Lane and London Lions in their group and got something from the games with Leverstock Green and Harefield United and possibly even Colney Heath despite losing a friendly to them 4-0 at Silver Jubilee Park on 24 April, as you say you can't compare friendly fixtures to competitive games.

Spot on, Rhodes.

Friendlies don't make much sense to me when you can play competitive fixtures with the chance of winning a trophy.

I would say that had Edgware Town entered the Spring Cup then they would have been favorites to reach at least the final.

20 hours ago, petethegreek said:

Spot on, Rhodes.

Friendlies don't make much sense to me when you can play competitive fixtures with the chance of winning a trophy.

I would say that had Edgware Town entered the Spring Cup then they would have been favorites to reach at least the final.

You're forgetting we're a new team still learning to play together.

We only played one league game with the new players before lockdown some of whom were not avaliable for the friendlies.

Our manager was using the games we arranged as a means of experimenting with various formations using a number of different players. 

No doubt the results reflected that as we lost 5 with a sole win coming against form side Oxhey Jets. 

We conceded 24 goals in 6 games, most of them defensive errors, despite this we performed well in all but two games, away at London Colney and our final game at home to Potton. 

Based on how the likes of one of the favourites Biggleswade United did in the 'Spring Cup' I think we would probably have failed to make the Semi Finals 

Fair play to London Lions for reaching the Final, personally I hope they beat Colney Heath. 

You're right friendlies are not the same as competitive games but I was surprised how competitive the games were especially against Colney Heath were things got out of control and the officials lost control of the game! 

Edited by GRS67

52 minutes ago, GRS67 said:

We only played one league game with the new players before lockdown some of whom were not avaliable for the friendlies.

Our manager was using the games we arranged as a means of experimenting with various formations using a number of different players. 

No doubt the results reflected that as we lost 5 with a sole win coming against form side Oxhey Jets. 

We conceded 24 goals in 6 games, most of them defensive errors, despite this we performed well in all but two games, away at London Colney and our final game at home to Potton. 

Based on how the likes of one of the favourites Biggleswade United did in the 'Spring Cup' I think we would probably have failed to make the Semi Finals 

Fair play to London Lions for reaching the Final, personally I hope they beat Colney Heath. 

You're right friendlies are not the same as competitive games but I was surprised how competitive the games were especially against Colney Heath were things got out of control and the officials lost control of the game! 

Having been at Rak Hudson's first game at Edgware Town, where I thought the players acquitted themselves well, some competitive fixtures with something to play for would have given the players a different mentality to playing friendlies.

I like the way Rak sets up his teams and I can see a positive future for your club under his stewardship.

Tuesday 25 May 2021

The Gladwish SSML Spring Cup, Final 

Colney Heath vs London Lions 

(7:45pm Leverstock Green FC -->PANCAKE LANE, HEMEL HEMPSTEAD, Hertfordshire HP2 4NQ)

Wednesday 26 May 2021

Division Two Spring Cup

MK Gallacticos vs New Bradwell St Peter

(7:45pm MK Irish FC -->
PAVILION, FLAT MANOR FIELD, BLETCHLEY, MILTON KEYNES MK2 2HX)

2 hours ago, petethegreek said:

Having been at Rak Hudson's first game at Edgware Town, where I thought the players acquitted themselves well, some competitive fixtures with something to play for would have given the players a different mentality to playing friendlies.

I like the way Rak sets up his teams and I can see a positive future for your club under his stewardship.

Thanks for the nice comments, hopefully we'll have a successful season, most likely in the Combined Counties League, we're due to find out tomorrow ?

5 hours ago, petethegreek said:

Having been at Rak Hudson's first game at Edgware Town

Was that the Crawley Green game with the horrific goalkeeping howler in the very first minute, anyway you and Rak go back a long way and you may recall his Father Managing Haringey Borough back in the day, I think you have a soft spot for Rak as he's a  good guy.

7 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Was that the Crawley Green game with the horrific goalkeeping howler in the very first minute, anyway you and Rak go back a long way and you may recall his Father Managing Haringey Borough back in the day, I think you have a soft spot for Rak as he's a  good guy.

Take out the goalkeeping errors and Edgware Town would have probably won that game.

9 hours ago, petethegreek said:

Take out the goalkeeping errors and Edgware Town would have probably won that game.

That's been the story so far, take out errors gifting the opposition and we would have won 5 of our 6 friendlies rather than lost them 

You have to admit that error referred to against Crawley Green in the first minute was 'schoolboy' wasn't it to put it mildly.

On 16/05/2021 at 12:44, petethegreek said:

Tuesday 25 May 2021

The Gladwish SSML Spring Cup, Final 

Colney Heath vs London Lions 

(7:45pm Leverstock Green FC -->PANCAKE LANE, HEMEL HEMPSTEAD, Hertfordshire HP2 4NQ)

Yes, something to really look forward to with fans present, unless Boris moves the goalposts again:

Billede

2 hours ago, Rhodes said:

You have to admit that error referred to against Crawley Green in the first minute was 'schoolboy' wasn't it to put it mildly.

The fact is Rak had 24 hours to put a team together, the keeper wasn't confident on 3G and he's never played for us since, says it all really. 

Edited by GRS67

On 16/05/2021 at 10:38, GRS67 said:

What absolute waffle about the colney heath game!! 4-0 down at half time games dead! The edgware captain then decided to headbutt a 17year old with 5 minutes to go. Then without fans being allowed in the game there was a FAN not sure who he was looked like he was wearing a swimming cap! shouting expletives as Colney Left the field! Let's not go on to mention the absolute shambolic playing surface which essentially in a trampoline!(Hendons fault i guess)  With the suggested sides entering the league Salamis, Lions and Pantamilion, then with giggleswade, Leighton, oxhey to name a few Edgeware will be lucky to be top half. just my humble opinion!! 

8 minutes ago, NeutralFan said:

Ha Ha... Gav (GRS67) is Edgwares legendary, swimming cap wearing, one fan!

Gav.thumb.jpg.3fb4f9d29e8f8bde70b68cee49833132.jpg

Ahhh one from the archives at least I got my hands on the SSML Premier Division title, that's more than you ever did my friend ???