Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

New Manager

1 hour ago, Youthfirm said:

Can't imagine there would be many takers, would probably need a whole squad rebuild and need to get promoted within max 2 years or face the sack. 

You would need to check with the club, my understanding was that there were quite a few applicants and Hornchurch don't have a habit of changing manager much recently - Mark Stimpson was with Hornchurch for 4/5 seasons (obviously his time at the club was Covid-affected) and Jimmy McFarlane prior to him was manager for I think 6 seasons (I'm sure Dagger will correct me if I'm wrong with that!!!)

18 minutes ago, cup of tea said:

You would need to check with the club, my understanding was that there were quite a few applicants and Hornchurch don't have a habit of changing manager much recently - Mark Stimpson was with Hornchurch for 4/5 seasons (obviously his time at the club was Covid-affected) and Jimmy McFarlane prior to him was manager for I think 6 seasons (I'm sure Dagger will correct me if I'm wrong with that!!!)

I do know that we have had 2 managers in 15 years.

For some sort of context 8 clubs in our division had at least 2 different managers last season alone.

Only 6 clubs, excluding us, had the same manager at the start of the 2021/2 season at the end of the 2022/3 season.

I think we can present ourselves as being a stable club that prefers continuity to chaos.

No doubt it has historically been a stable club, but in my view sacking a manager for losing 2 play off finals and winning a cup means that there is a 'we must get promoted' mindset that can backfire if we're not careful. Anything less than promotion would beg the question why make the change, surely? 

Agreed but conversely anything less than promotion under Mark Stimpson next season would also beg the question of why a change was not made instead.

As we will never know if Mark would have got as promoted or not next season we will never know for certain if making a change was a necessary decision.

Obviously the boards judgement is that promotion would be more likely with a new manager and any manager coming in would surely be aware that promotion is the expectation for this season.

So, I like to think that whoever we appoint is confident and capable of achieving it.

i just think we've taken a massive risk, one that wasn't necessary. I think mark should have had the opportunity to have a final stab at it. Either way I think there will be a lot of change come August, new kit, new manager, largely new squad. Big upheaval, we'll see if it was warranted I suppose come end of the season. 

Like it or not the squad as a whole are coming to the end of their shelf life in seasons gone by Stimson likes to keep with the same core of players so you'd have to ask the question would he be able change the group?. If we stayed in this league or had gotten promotion I believe big changes would have been made either way and with a new manager on the horizon I'm hopeful they will come in bringing fresh ideas and a few players to get us one further next season.

2 hours ago, The Pars said:

I do know that we have had 2 managers in 15 years.

For some sort of context 8 clubs in our division had at least 2 different managers last season alone.

Only 6 clubs, excluding us, had the same manager at the start of the 2021/2 season at the end of the 2022/3 season.

I think we can present ourselves as being a stable club that prefers continuity to chaos.

In this context, it is clearly stability. I don't really understand clubs that change managers every 2 years...

28 minutes ago, KinPer said:

In this context, it is clearly stability. I don't really understand clubs that change managers every 2 years...

Looking at the other clubs in our division I think it be put down to one of 3 reasons:

- the manager resigning (happened 10 times last season)

- the board realising they had made the wrong appointment 

- panic about getting relegated without knowing what else to do

(the last 2 categories happened 7 times between them last season)

I think we all need to remember that our Board have a life outside the football club. Alex in particular is often away outside the country, so it isn't really surprising that there has been a delay, especially as they made it clear they want to get the right person for the job. Frustrating I know, but let them get on with bringing the right people in, be that staff or players. We'll know when all done, which is the way it should be.