Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Cup 1st Round - Slough v Grimsby

Curtis

It's early day's to comment on this game because imo we've got 'bigger fish to fry' 😏 in the league starting with Chelmsford on Saturday.

What I will say is when this game comes around I would like us to be bold and have a real go at them.

In previous seasons when we've played teams like Gillingham and Rochdale I think we've shown them far too much respect and not really shown what we can do, eventually exiting the cup with a bit of a whimper.

It'll be a game where we have nothing to lose, so a bit like last night lets take the shackles off and give it a real go.

Edited by Reading Rebel

3 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

It's early day's to comment on this game because imo we've got 'bigger fish to fry' 😏 in the league starting with Chelmsford on Saturday.

What I will say is when this game comes around I would like us to be bold and have a real go at them.

In previous seasons when we've played teams like Gillingham and Rochdale I think we've shown them far too much respect and not really shown what we can do, eventually exiting the cup with a bit of a whimper.

It'll be a game where we have nothing to lose, so a bit like last night lets take the shackles off and give it a real go.

Play like we did first half and we have a great chance!

Now all replays are settled hopefully the live games will be announced soon, I think we have an outside chance. Be massive for the club if we got picked as I think it’s £60-70,000 plus the appropriate £25,000 we’ve already made.

22 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Let’s be fair, Rochdale were 4 divisions above us at the time, & Gillingham 3 divisions above us, I hoped but never thought we had a realistic chance in them.

In this one against Grimsby, who are only 2 divisions above us with poor away form like Ebbsfleet, I think we have a good chance of getting a draw & possibly nicking the win if it’s still level with 10 minutes to go.

39 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Now all replays are settled hopefully the live games will be announced soon, I think we have an outside chance. Be massive for the club if we got picked as I think it’s £60-70,000 plus the appropriate £25,000 we’ve already made.

It would be great if we were selected as a live match, but I think the TV channels will probably go with:-

Chesterfield v Portsmouth

Mansfield v Wrexham

Hereford v Gillingham

Sheppey Utd v Walsall

26 minutes ago, Curtis said:

It would be great if we were selected as a live match, but I think the TV channels will probably go with:-

Mansfield v Wrexham

Hereford v Gillingham

Sheppey Utd v Walsall

Can’t disagree with your picks but is it definitely only 4 live games? Is it only the BBC and BT filming them? No ITV or Sky?

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

Mansfield v Wrexham

Hereford v Gillingham

Sheppey Utd v Walsall

I think Sheppey Utd vs Walsall is a dead cert, but in all honesty it would be barmy for them to select Mansfield vs Wrexham as it's an all-league two affair. Like you I can see it happening though, what with all this romanticism regarding Wrexham.

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

Let’s be fair, Rochdale were 4 divisions above us at the time, & Gillingham 3 divisions above us, I hoped but never thought we had a realistic chance in them.

In this one against Grimsby, who are only 2 divisions above us with poor away form like Ebbsfleet, I think we have a good chance of getting a draw & possibly nicking the win if it’s still level with 10 minutes to go.

Totally agree Curtis It's quite recently that Grimsby were in the National league  They won the playoff in early June 2022 to  join EFL2 and they're in the bottom third with a very poor away record You're correct t that we played Rochdale and Gillingham almost in awe of them and playing as if they were a superior team We need to treat Grimsby as another step in our further progress!

from what i remember gillingham only had 3 shots on target during that tie and ours were into double figures too say we gave them too much respect is a bit of a misnomer the main difference was that they scored from one of their shots a worldie that even a premier keeper (so it was said at the time) would not have stopped and their keeper kept them in the match.

6 minutes ago, HEAVY TRUCKER said:

from what i remember gillingham only had 3 shots on target during that tie and ours were into double figures too say we gave them too much respect is a bit of a misnomer the main difference was that they scored from one of their shots a worldie that even a premier keeper (so it was said at the time) would not have stopped and their keeper kept them in the match.

To add insult to injury, Gillingham then played PL Cardiff City in the next round, and beat them 🤪

2 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

Play like we did first half and we have a great chance!

We've made nearly 18,500 in prize money so with a 45% share of all gate money etc I reckon it's a fair bit more than 25k.

Not sure if this is normal but I've just discovered that from now on losing teams don't get a penny in prize money.

1 minute ago, Reading Rebel said:

We've made nearly 18,500 in prize money so with a 45% share of all gate money etc I reckon it's a fair bit more than 25k.

Not sure if this is normal but I've just discovered that from now on losing teams don't get a penny in prize money.

But remember it’s 45% after all deductions and done clubs have been known to be ‘creative’ with their outgoings shall we say…

Be surprised if they show Mansfield v Wrexham (Wrexham on TV too much these days anyway ;). I (like most) scrolled down the 1st Round draw and to be fair, we must be in with a chance of being shown live. 

Were at home, league side coming to town (not just any, last years QTR finalists) and we have a chance on our pitch.

Also, please, we want the money :)

Here’s an interesting link detailing last years 1st round ties chosen for live tv coverage (5 matches, worth £50,000 to each club). But also additional fees given for extended highlights and single camera footage. So if this is repeated this year then we should have a great chance of being picked for one of these options.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2022/oct/20/fa-cup-first-round-proper-tv-picks-20221020