Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Farnborough FC

Reading Rebel

4 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Is that a "copy and paste" from previous reports this season RR?

Starting to sound very repetitive, easy goals for the opposition at in the opening minutes of a half because the defence is not switched on, we fight back to gain a lead, and then surrender the advantage having run out of steam – another 2 points dropped at home!

Looks like lessons are not being learnt?

Spencer Day thought Christmas had come early, he is nearly happy in his interview, and was only slightly upset that he did not get the full 3 points.

Agree RR – why bring in a new “attacking threat” and not use him?  He is new and needs to justify his inclusion so he will be dead keen to produce a result, but just sits on the bench getting splinters in his arse!

Something major needs to happen to improve performances over Christmas, or my 23 game (half season) review might be painful for some to read.

Agree Sir Rebel that it does seem to become a bit of a theme for us this season.

2 hours ago, Irishadrian said:

Our opponents on Tuesday have managed just  4 points from their last 6 league games  the last 4 all defeats We musnt fritter away games in hand especially home games.

Forget Hemel's current record over the 6 games.

Reading their after match reports they're just not having the luck at the moment.

They were 2-0 up at Torquay yesterday and by all accounts played very well and deserved something from the game.

Edited by Reading Rebel

The most interesting after match comment from Spencer Day was that striker Michael Folivi, who scored their 2 goals, had signed for Hemel in the week but because the paperwork didn't go through in time he was available to play for F'borough yesterday. 

Now whether the transfer still goes through and he plays against us on Tuesday is anybody's guess.

Edited by Reading Rebel

5 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Is that a "copy and paste" from previous reports this season RR?

Starting to sound very repetitive, easy goals for the opposition at in the opening minutes of a half because the defence is not switched on, we fight back to gain a lead, and then surrender the advantage having run out of steam – another 2 points dropped at home!

Looks like lessons are not being learnt?

Spencer Day thought Christmas had come early, he is nearly happy in his interview, and was only slightly upset that he did not get the full 3 points.

Agree RR – why bring in a new “attacking threat” and not use him?  He is new and needs to justify his inclusion so he will be dead keen to produce a result, but just sits on the bench getting splinters in his arse!

Something major needs to happen to improve performances over Christmas, or my 23 game (half season) review might be painful for some to read.

Couple of things Sir Rebel.

What was your thoughts on yesterdays game?

Also, genuine question…  ‘Be painful to read’, for who?
You are acting like the 23 game review is a big day in the diary for everyone. Is this an annual thing?! 😅

A year ago we had played 22 games, had 20 points and a -20 goal difference. Scored 22 goals and conceded 42.

A year on, we have played 19 games, 23 points. Scored 35, conceded 33 with a +2 goal difference.

Add to that, we’ve got to the 1st round of the FA Cup which was extremely valuable for the club whilst bedding in a whole new squad.

Anyway… happy Sunday everyone! 

This was game short on quality and of very few chances, and I think that a draw was the fair result overall. We dominated the first-half and showed great character to come back from the early setback to lead 2-1 with two well taken goals from Bayliss and Minhas respectively. However, goals aside, I don't remember Jack Turner having anything to do.

The second-half was almost a carbon copy, but in reverse. Farnborough dictated the play whereas we barely got out of our own half. A couple of long-range efforts aside, I don't recall Craig Hill being seriously troubled. But we made a couple of defensive substitutions when due to defend a free-kick, which Farnborough duly scored from. Farnborough had their tails up but despite a couple of half-chances (and iffy defensive mishaps), failed to test Hill again.

Time will tell if this is a point gained or two dropped (I suspect the latter tbh), but we've got at least 3 games in hand on all four teams beneath us, and are therefore safe from immediate danger., Nonetheless this was a game we could really have done with winning.

5 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Agree, Memories are short, as Slough tore up his contract to let him go to Dorking for no fee.

Aaron Kuhl moved to Dorking at the end of January when he had been out injured for a month, and was expected to be out injured for a further few months & his contract with Slough was expiring at the end of April.

I thought it was the right decision to agree to the move, you didn’t?

As it turned out he made one sub appearance for Dorking by the end of March, & he only started in two of their seven matches in April.

25 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Aaron Kuhl moved to Dorking at the end of January when he had been out injured for a month, and was expected to be out injured for a further few months & his contract with Slough was expiring at the end of April.

I thought it was the right decision to agree to the move, you didn’t?

As it turned out he made one sub appearance for Dorking by the end of March, & he only started in two of their seven matches in April.

From the point-of-view that we didn't have to pay the wages of an injured player (whose contract was due to expire shortly), him leaving was the right thing.

However it doesn't explain why we (not for the first time) waived the fee for a player under contract (particularly as he was deemed good enough to play at a higher level). It also doesn't explain why Dorking were so eager to sign a player who was injured and couldn't play for another 2 months. Why not simply wait until the end of the season and sign him on a free then? So many questions.

31 minutes ago, Nathan said:

From the point-of-view that we didn't have to pay the wages of an injured player (whose contract was due to expire shortly), him leaving was the right thing.

However it doesn't explain why we (not for the first time) waived the fee for a player under contract (particularly as he was deemed good enough to play at a higher level). It also doesn't explain why Dorking were so eager to sign a player who was injured and couldn't play for another 2 months. Why not simply wait until the end of the season and sign him on a free then? So many questions.

Pretty simple to me. We get an injured player off our books at a time we needed to cut costs, and Dorking get their man on a contract and avoid a “bidding war” over his wages in the summer. It was well known that he wanted to try his luck at a higher level once the season had come to an end. 

45 minutes ago, Matt said:

Dorking get their man on a contract and avoid a “bidding war” over his wages in the summer.

Dorking still paid his wages whilst he convalesced (rather them than us of course). And a bidding war over an out-of-contract step 2 player who's just come back from a lengthy injury seems a bit presumptuous to me, but maybe you're right.

If he would've attracted that sort of attention, the fact that he was let go without a fee sounds criminal. But as he was nearing the end of his contract, maybe this was simply bad luck as far as the club is concerned.

7 hours ago, Scott Davies said:

Couple of things Sir Rebel.

What was your thoughts on yesterdays game?

Also, genuine question…  ‘Be painful to read’, for who?
You are acting like the 23 game review is a big day in the diary for everyone. Is this an annual thing?! 😅

A year ago we had played 22 games, had 20 points and a -20 goal difference. Scored 22 goals and conceded 42.

A year on, we have played 19 games, 23 points. Scored 35, conceded 33 with a +2 goal difference.

Add to that, we’ve got to the 1st round of the FA Cup which was extremely valuable for the club whilst bedding in a whole new squad.

Anyway… happy Sunday everyone! 

Ok, let's review it after 46.

5 minutes ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Well if you were to read back you will be able to find out why I have not been able to attend games.

To summarize TB and immunosuppressants, plus other various medications.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you’re feeling better soon and able to attend.

To give a 23 game review when you’ve not attended the matches is like me giving a review for a film I’ve never seen.

Lets be honest, you’re arguably the most negative from all of the forum users, so for you to be like that having not been able to go to games is quite sad as you’ve probably not been able to see the great work (not talking about the team, everything in general) by all that’s going on at the club and might be judging everything on past experiences.

Let’s hope we can change that for you at some point! 

1 minute ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Ok, let's review it after 46.

Whatever you fancy! Sounds like you’re almost excited by it…

10 hours ago, Scott Davies said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you’re feeling better soon and able to attend.

To give a 23 game review when you’ve not attended the matches is like me giving a review for a film I’ve never seen.

Lets be honest, you’re arguably the most negative from all of the forum users, so for you to be like that having not been able to go to games is quite sad as you’ve probably not been able to see the great work (not talking about the team, everything in general) by all that’s going on at the club and might be judging everything on past experiences.

Let’s hope we can change that for you at some point! 

Whatever you fancy! Sounds like you’re almost excited by it…

All I want is to make sure that the progress that has been made with the club since the dark days of the mid 2000's when the club was in debt, homeless, sliding down the leagues, high player turnover and not paying players is not repeated and the hard work put in by the club, players and fans to get Arbour Park built, and gain two promotions is not put at risk.

If that is seen as negative by you, thats your choice.

22 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Agree, Memories are short, as Slough tore up his contract to let him go to Dorking for no fee.

I find this reply quite short sighted to be honest........

At the time, Aaron was injured and not due back until Mar/Apr time if i remember correctly. So he would have played what 6 games. As you point out he was on a contract and so being paid by us nonetheless. 

That contract was up in the summer and so he was off anyway. Dorking offered a chance to release those funds at a time and also secure his signing rather than competing in the summer. Did we not also get Temi in around the same time, probably using the released funds and let's face it, Temi was a revelation in our back line and helped us stay up. 

Was anybody else taken aback as I was, reading a couple of comments from Joe Dandy in Saturday's programme?

It was Joe's turn this time to answer question's put to him in the "Rebel Revealed" article.

He is quoted as saying in answer to one of the questions............

" I'm not a massive football fan really.

I don't follow or support anyone" 

I cannot imagine loving the game of football, as Joe also says he does, and not having any fan connection with a club. 

Following a club through the decades of my life is part of my very DNA.

It might seem silly to say this, but I feel my life would have been so much the poorer without this interaction.

I don't think in all the years I've been following the game I've come across a player saying these things.

No criticism of Joe intended, I just find it an amazing admission.   

45 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Was anybody else taken aback as I was, reading a couple of comments from Joe Dandy in Saturday's programme?

It was Joe's turn this time to answer question's put to him in the "Rebel Revealed" article.

He is quoted as saying in answer to one of the questions............

" I'm not a massive football fan really.

I don't follow or support anyone" 

I cannot imagine loving the game of football, as Joe also says he does, and not having any fan connection with a club. 

Following a club through the decades of my life is part of my very DNA.

It might seem silly to say this, but I feel my life would have been so much the poorer without this interaction.

I don't think in all the years I've been following the game I've come across a player saying these things.

No criticism of Joe intended, I just find it an amazing admission.   

Totally agree.

I've never heard of a player who loves playing football say they're not a football fan and they don't follow any football club past or present.  

Very odd.