Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Full Backs

Let's have full backs who do the basics, and defend, not try and do too much going forward. Protheroe went missing on a number of occasions on that right hand side today. Protheroe and Rouse both good players but the way they play they should be midfielders. We must get at least Skinner back next week, and if Protheroe is not going to play in the position he's supposed to, and link with the right midfield, then bring back Gledhill. Oh and if Andy Ford is wondering whether to bring back Skinner then here are the stats with him in the team P4 W4 with Rouse P3 D2 L1, I rest my case!!

Well I'm afraid we weren't well balanced out there in the second half. The way the defence lacked organisation reminded me very much of last season when we threw away leads.. It's got to be Skinner!!

Quote:
The Rocket said:
Let's have full backs who do the basics, and defend, not try and do too much going forward. Protheroe went missing on a number of occasions on that right hand side today. Protheroe and Rouse both good players but the way they play they should be midfielders. We must get at least Skinner back next week, and if Protheroe is not going to play in the position he's supposed to, and link with the right midfield, then bring back Gledhill. Oh and if Andy Ford is wondering whether to bring back Skinner then here are the stats with him in the team P4 W4 with Rouse P3 D2 L1, I rest my case!!

...and your favourite Andy Drury didn't have a very good game today, so don't forget to drop him too.

Call them what you like. Hereford played with full backs and they were very effective, particularly the left sided player in the second half who just stuck to defending, and marked Drury and Sidibe out of the game. Let Protheroe and Rouse stick to defending, and give our wide players more freedom of movement. I did know Skinner missed the match through illness, and if he doesn't return against Barnet I don't rate our chances. After throwing his toys out of the pram recently can I recommend that Mr Holden chooses Player of the Month from now on, he can always ask advice from the very knowledgable train spotter FF, and then we can make sure we have the right decision

Call them what you want ,but they should be there to defend, if either proth or lovell nee rouse are on one of their attacking forays someone has to slot into the position now left open, that didn't happen yesterday , hence the two goals. Can someone tell me how they managed to get that second goal with such ease.

I am sure Andy will sort this for the Barnet game.

I think Andy knows that our defence is still our weak point. Time may have come to let Mitten have a go in goal. As for criticism regarding Jefferson, i think thats wrong. He only came on with 15 to go and for most of the second half we played a lot of hoof football. Hereford i thought were an excellent defensive side and took their chances well. Nothing to panic about, we can get a result at Barnet for sure. Thought Ben Surey was outstanding again yesterday, his passing is great, his tackling is great and he covers every blade of grass.

Rouse IMO was not very attacking at all, infact i thought whenever the bulls got the ball he stood near mooro for reassurance and left their wide men free to pick up the ball and go at us. SKinner needs to come back and quick. As for prothers, he was the only player in the second half who showed anything resembling composure on the ball. While all around him panicked and hoofed it away anywhere he was looking for the short simple ball, which worked well on a number of occassions.

Gledhill has a tendancy to play his standard pass, the up the line punt. Which only works when mousse is on, so maybe bring them both on for final 20 mins???

Quote:
Anonymous said:
After throwing his toys out of the pram recently can I recommend that Mr Holden chooses Player of the Month from now on, he can always ask advice from the very knowledgable train spotter FF, and then we can make sure we have the right decision

I'm sorry - I didn't realise that only you were allowed to state an opinion. Then again I also forgot that you are incapable of making any valid argument to support your own comments.

It amazes me how a certain person finds it easier to make cheap pathetic shots at other posters rather than debating anything.

Agree Skinns has to be back but I thought Provs had a mare re his positional play and awareness, didn't both goals and a few other chances come from that side of the pitch?!.

Provs is better in midfield IMO and Charlie Mitten exhubes more confidence when he's in goal. Don't really want to compare Wilko with Calamity (cos Wilko is far better) but Mitten will probably be between the sticks next week.

Blimey this is an interesting thread. 'Rocket' why not register?

As for defensive debates - i think we all know skinner is the man at left back and rouse/lovell is shaded out. As for right back it has to be protheroe for me. The balls he put into the box were amazing yesterday absolutely superb. . . a reason we signed him i believe - he can also defend. . . . it is up to others to cover when playing attack minded defenders. . .

As for attacking each other in threads - lets just concentrate on getting everyone to barnet and drowning out their awful mundane chant. . . which is worse than kenny on a bad day!!

Quote:
Bloodnock said:
I also feel that a Shearer/Porter combination would be worth a go.

Sorry can't agree with you there. Although Shearer played pretty well yesterday in his defensive role his distribution is pretty dire,every time he just hoofs it anywhere. Can't really see any reason to drop Moore,solid as every i thought..
On the subject of the wing backs/full backs/whatever they are called now i think we lacked a bit of pace against the Hereford players.Quite a few times we pushed up high leaving them with plenty of space to absolutely kill our defense,particularly in the second half.