Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Home Fans at Southport game

Richard C

Well done to everybody in the pathetic crowd of 800 for getting behind the team. Mention for half way line etc who we all have some banter with - excellent support and joining in with the youngsters . . . plough end/half way line combo!! good stuff - even with 800 we made some noise - lets add another 800 through the gate now.

Having explored the theme of attendances after the similarly poor home turnout against Cambridge, it was interesting to note that last season our attendances were boosted considerably as September went on (e.g. c.1700 v Stevenage, after 1365 v York a few weeks previously, with Stevenage only bringing a slightly larger following than the Minstermen). Hopefully today's low crowd can be considered an anomaly, what with the early kick-off. Time will tell.

It's interesting to think about what made our attendance today so low. One view I heard in the bar after the game today was that the Kent and Gravesham Leagues started their season yesterday and some of those that might have been playing wouldn't have been able to get to our match because of the early kick off.

Another view is that some people won't come down to watch our match yesterday and then rush off to England; so had England been on later or even today (Note for FA) then perhaps our attendance may have been higher.

I over heard some fed up Gills supporters a few games ago, that claimed they watch The Fleet when The Gills are playing too far away. They were complaining that they came for the banter and atmosphere in the Plough end stand. When they found they couldn't get into the stand it was suggested by one of them that they could go elsewhere. After unsuccessfully trying to get a cup of tea at half time, because the queue dissappeared around the corner, they moaned even more. Then the burgers weren't as good as last year, the bar was difficult to get a beer in, the football was poor and so on. The last I saw and heard them say was 'Sod it! Let's get the last 10 minutes of Chatham Town and off they went. I haven't seen them down The Fleet since then.

I will say what i think again. The plough end must be sorted asap. It has been an excellent atmosphere in there for just about every conference game for the last few years and definitely helps the players. I also know people that wont turn up until they can watch from there (petty but true). I know the club are in the process and have to weigh up the re-development of the plough end with a new stadium, but this is key.

Indeed it is bizarre.. But some of the guys in the group I attend with, have said a similar thing..

They have not stopped in total, but they are not as regular attendees as before.

I can't wait to get back to my usual position.. Its not the same since its been shut, and despite watching from various different vantage points , I have not found a natural home yet.

It's still not fair on Southport supporters though.

Quote:
Harry J Allstars said:Myslef, Jimmy FleetFanatic and the two Red Necks stood behind the goal for the Exeter game. Not sure about the others but I haven't stood there since. It's just not the same.

Quite simply, the vantage point is too low down for a good view of the game.