Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Can i have some real answers

Boney Crisp

About a week and a half ago people were saying that they will sing if we just sing relevent songs and cut down on the swearing. We have done this on the last 2 games and yet the choir has not grown and as a result of this we put the drum away. In my eyes you lot just cannot be bothered to sing.

Sorry about the negativity, but i am really wound up about this.

have to say the crowd was 1380 and there were at most 10 singing today we all came away with soar throats and we all tried to build a bit of atmosphere, the view was overwealming that the drum should stay thenwas asked to stop playing where we were and asked to moved it further to the left which was done only to be told to move again so i ask the question if for instance a side like afc were to come to HDP and not be segregated and they sang with their choir for ninety minutes would they all be told to move?? All us singers are trying to do is build a bit of atmosphere and i know (although we did try hard in the second half) that we are beginning to feel that we should not even bother, this was our biggest game this season and biggest crowd so far this season and there were few people singing, there was no swearing or very little swearing, no-one is saying that 'if you turn up you should sing' but if we are to build atmosphere around HDP we need some help.

Just a small comment on the subject of the drum: most sets of supporters reserve the drum (+ bugle etc.) for away games only.

The thinking is:

1. With fewer fans it helps create an atmosphere.

2. You need as much noise as you can get away from home.

3. You are less likely to offend older supporters of your own team, or those with sensitive ears.

4. If you offend home supporters at away games don't worry about it, but you will be at the opposite end of the ground anyway.

Perhaps you lads should stick to (inoffensive) chanting at home games and save the orchestra for away matches?

I can understand the importance of giving the team vocal support.I can only speak for myself but I have always said that singing isnt my forteit.I love hearing you guys do it though & good on you for doing so. No-one can be forced to sing,though I see the need to keep the vocals up.

I did however "clap" when the songs required it today,(I hadnt done that previously to your songs.) Sorry but thats how it is with me. Shameful perhaps but thats my standing on this,its the best I can do.As for the drum,we discussed this last week. A suggestion was made that it be moved further up along the terrace.Get there first & those that stand there can have no complaints about it then. I thought it was ironic today that those that couldnt bear to hear the drum at times becasue it was so close by were actually saying "wheres the drum" once it was taken away.

You are important & do a fab job. Hard as it may be keep doing it.Just sorry that I for one cant or wont join in. Maybe its time to go round the schools(which I will be soon)& recruit singers,specifically to help out on this.Just another suggestion to go with my apologies for being a non-singer amongst you.

Chris makes a good point about being at home/away/.I went to fleet & there were only a few of us but I did manage a few lyrics there simply because we were short on numbers & something HAD to be done to show that we were there & supporting.Mind you I had to stop because I just couldnt keep it up.Mark did a smashing drum roll by the entrance to where the players came out that night.Went down well.

Keep up the singing,you are doing well.Just a handful of you are doing better than more well attended clubs do.Believe me you are still a force even with a small number. Sorry I cant help further. Maybe others can.

I'll bear in mind your comments on my school rounds & see if another junior choir can be set up to help & join in.. No promises but I'll try.

we don't need schools to help tony just the faithful that are there to help now and again besides i remember someone(i think it was steve B) starting this all by mentioning 'ramsgates 12th man' well 10 of us don't make a 12th man for the gate it just upsets me that these guys get alot of critisism but follow the gate thru thick and thin home and away, just give them a break guys, althoug i do count myself as 1 of them i for work reasons cannot make every game this season but believe me if i could i would(incidentally not digging at you tony for critisism ur voice is shocking anyway lolol)

In my experience the size of the choir is in direct proportion to the status of the team. When we are back in the conf you will be getting a minimum of 20 hard-core singers per game, with plenty of others joining in.

You lads make more noise than almost any other crowd at this level, so big respect to you. Also shame on those who used to sing when we were higher up and have gone missing!

I'll forget the school idea then!. No problem. Was but only a suggestion.

Can see where you are all coming from with this though.Good luck with it but again I'm agreeing with another post.Dont undervalue the impact you are all having with your singing even in small numbers.You are better than a lot of clubs who have bigger attendances & home supporters I'm sure.Today was really really good I thought.

Dont you dare go away or stop, but you will have to forget the idea I think that others will join in as it seems its not going to happen. You are a rare breed amongst us & you make things tick out on the field because of it.Dont give up on it please or playing & banging the drum.

To the choir.

Lads you did a great job today and I did notice that during the second half before Mark turned up to drum you sang longer and louder without the drum.

Think the steward stopping the drum in the first half was wrong (would that happen at Charlton , Chelsea or Fulham...I don't think so)

During the second half there was singing from other supporters (ie Dave Cox, Barry, Phil and that crowd)

Finally well done for the "clean" songs

The answer is simple. If you want to sing then sing. If you dont then you shouldnt be made to feel like you have to. We do our bit by paying and turning up to support the team. A more important question is how do we ensure that all the "new" margate fans there today (and there were quite a few new faces) come back again.

Dont criticise us regulars.

Quote:
upthegate said:
The answer is simple. If you want to sing then sing. If you dont then you shouldnt be made to feel like you have to. We do our bit by paying and turning up to support the team. A more important question is how do we ensure that all the "new" margate fans there today (and there were quite a few new faces) come back again.
Dont criticise us regulars.

I agree, but if you say that you are going to sing then at least keep that promise.