Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Haringey v Edgware

The Haringey team that lost 9 -0 to Hertford were not the same team that played Edgware.

From their programme notes,"Probably very few neutral observers expected us to avoid another morale-sapping defeat at home to London Colney on Saturday after the devastation inflicted by Hertford Town seven days earlier. But after that humiliation drastic and urgent action was obviously the only cure and Manager Ged Searson's tireless efforts resulted in no less than 12 new signings being available........."

Edgware played a measured passing game but with Haringey's 10 men deciding to pack their players into a narrow band across the pitch 15 yards from their goal line and relying on catching the visitors offside with the very occasional foray forward.

Although Edgware kept position of the ball for almost the entire second half they found it difficult to tease an opening. That said I think that if they build on their team Haringey will not be easy prey any more this season.

I think the whole catchment area argument is a myth. My parents grew up in the area. My grandparents house virtually backed onto the ground. In all the years I spent in that area as a kid none of the other kids cared about Haringey Boro. Most of them prefered the other club "on" white hart lane. It is a sad indictment on grass roots football but it happens everywhere. I remember my Granddad taking me to the ground in the days of the Golf range. Once was enough. i for one wish Aki and the rest of the board good luck with their attempt to improve the club but like most clubs are restricted by a local council that don't give a toss. Rhodes the problem is far deeper than one individual.

Tubbsy8 - We know each other don't we, didn't you very kindly donate £100 to Haringey out of your own pocket following the devastating fire that ravaged the stand on 30 March this year, a date that is still etched on my memory. 'Sugar' later blamed me for the fire saying that it was my fault, what does that tell you about the man you call 'pleasant' and 'a nice bloke'.

Don't believe so, May have been the previous treasurer at St Mags that you know and received a donation from. I am about 40 years younger! As I also said I can only comment on my own dealings/meetings with Aki and not yours. I am intrigued as to why you have nicknamed him Sugar to who or what is this a reference? again this comment is only hearsay so i will chose to ignore it.

Quote:
Horace said:
Why would he blame you Rhodes?

Another straight question that could get a fascinating answer

Quote:
Potters Bar Town FC said:
Also, the club have nothing like the history of Barnet & Orient who have been playing at a much higher level for much longer. The community around Haringey's ground are not the sort that are interested in grass roots football, hence the lack of attendances year in, year out.
Well if the Club were more successful on the field of play the good people of Haringey would flock to Coles Park in their droves as was the case on the rare occasions they had a successful team, the Youth Cup run in 2004/2005, when they reached the 2nd Round proper beating Barnet and Enfield along the way, proved that and you could barely get in the place for the Woking game. There are hundreds of quality players in Haringey just waiting to be tapped into such as on the Broadwater Farm Estate, look how Kentish Town have reaped the rewards by working with the Community.

Quote:
Rhodes said:
Quote:
Also, the club have nothing like the history of Barnet & Orient who have been playing at a much higher level for much longer. The community around Haringey's ground are not the sort that are interested in grass roots football, hence the lack of attendances year in, year out.
Well if the Club were more successful on the field of play the good people of Haringey would flock to Coles Park in their droves as was the case on the rare occasions they had a successful team, the Youth Cup run in 2004/2005, when they reached the 2nd Round proper beating Barnet and Enfield along the way, proved that and you could barely get in the place for the Woking game. There are hundreds of quality players in Haringey just waiting to be tapped into such as on the Broadwater Farm Estate, look how Kentish Town have reaped the rewards by working with the Community.

I was at the Barnet game and the attendance wasn't that much higher than a normal Thursday evening youth game there. Most of the "extra" people that were there were from the Enfield Town/Potters Bar Town youth team (one and the same at that time) who were there to look at their next opponents.

Hundreds of quality players in Haringey is yet another exageration. There will be lots of good players there, don't get me wrong, but if they are good enough they are far likely to play for a local Ryman League youth side (Enfield Town, Wingate & Finchley, Waltham Forest, etc.) rather than a side where the "goal" is a place in an SSML first team with a reputation for winning nothing, constantly struggling, playing in front of poor crowds on a not very good playing surface that little can be done about, in a fairly soulless part of the Borough.

ha ha this forum is great!! big edgware town coming to haringay borough, and only scoring 3 against 9 men! yet STILL being praised for it....and then having the audacity to say "we kept the ball well" i think with 2 extra men that was always going to happen. From where i was sitting haringay looked far more dangerous on the break then Edgware did all game....and this was backed up by the Edgware goalkeeper shouting that Exact phrase everytime Haringay went forward!

Quote:
I was at the Barnet game and the attendance wasn't that much higher than a normal Thursday evening youth game there. Most of the "extra" people that were there were from the Enfield Town/Potters Bar Town youth team (one and the same at that time) who were there to look at their next opponents.
I didn't say the Barnet and Enfield games were that well attended but the Woking game in the 2nd Round proper was and if they had got through to play Brighton as they should have done it would have been all ticket. I was in the process of setting up a Youth Academy at the Club and was on the way to getting FA Charter Standard status before 'Sugar' showed me the door, this is my point about him not wanting progress for some sinister reason and driving the Club forward as 99.99% of Chairman do.

Quote:
Rhodes said:
Well if the Club were more successful on the field of play the good people of Haringey would flock to Coles Park in their droves as was the case on the rare occasions they had a successful team, the Youth Cup run in 2004/2005, when they reached the 2nd Round proper beating Barnet and Enfield along the way, proved that

This is exactly what you said. Contradicting yourself again?

As for all the work you were doing with the youth section at Haringey, that alone is not sufficient reason to keep you at the club if other aspects of your behaviour didn't warrant it. Look at George Graham's sacking at Arsenal, Terry Venables at Tottenham and Glenn Hoddle at England. All of them were excellent at their jobs but were considered unacceptable due to other behaviours. Nobody is bigger than their club!

Quote:
3praise said:
ha ha this forum is great!! big edgware town coming to haringay borough, and only scoring 3 against 9 men! yet STILL being praised for it....and then having the audacity to say "we kept the ball well" i think with 2 extra men that was always going to happen. From where i was sitting haringay looked far more dangerous on the break then Edgware did all game....and this was backed up by the Edgware goalkeeper shouting that Exact phrase everytime Haringay went forward!

I wonder just where you were sitting? prob in the toilet, as you seem to post a load of SH IT !

3praise dont think you are posting a load of SH IT as Gavin suggests? Edgware Town i would say were very lucky Haringey had there goalkeeper sent off as i feel Haringey would have got a result. Edgware Town are just an average team they aint unbeatable.

Everyone keeps slagging off Haringey because the results WERE bad, but things have improved expecially with the players they have brought in. Results will come thick and fast, if they can keep these boys together?

no your write brit06 the league table doesnt lie but things for Haringey can only get better. But saying that? there is 1 setback skipper tommy catania is out for the next couple of weeks which is a major blow, but thats no excuse one man dont make a team and Haringey will prove that hopefully tomoro?

OMG you mean there are now TWO harinGAY fans on this board???

Listin, we had FIVE regular players missing on Tuesday night, we still dominated play for 90 mins. HarinGAY looked better then their results have suggested, but then I read you had signed 13 new players, and most of not all were playing that night.

Your pitch is a joke, as is the rest of your 'ground'? but we still came away with a win scoring 3 goals.

I wish HarinGAY no ill will, and hope you do rise above the posistion you ocuupy now. The boardroom was very hospitable, and friendly.

To base our team on one performace is a bit of a joke. as said the league table does not lie.