Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

WIVENHOE.

Blues with Soul.

I gather a late pen for Wivenhoe brought them back to 1-2 before Hockton's second just before the final whistle.

An impressive performance from the Gate all in all. We took the initiative straight away and totally controlled the game. Some great flowing football and it could have easily been 6 or 7 goals, but we won the game. Our midfield dominated and Dolton looked a threat on the left. A few tasty challenges flying in from Wivenhoe and a bit of a scuffle near the end which I didn't see clearly. We were in no danger though as the opponents were the weakest side we have played this year by some distance.

Danny's goal came about from great ball from McKimm I think to Dolton and a nice flick over the top of the centre back from Dolton. Danny poked it into the top corner. Pinns had a chance to make it 2 a few minutes later but skied his shot from 6 yards (though it came to him quickly and at a bit of an acute angle. He knew he should have scored though and yelled out on frustration). He played well again and ran and ran to give our team balance.

McKimm scored a placed shot down to the keeper's right after about an hour after a nice move.

Holden came on near the end for Dolton and played out wide on the left which I thought was a bit strange. Not Holden's natural position (although Dolton looked to be fading after a bright first half). Danny could have had another goal when Jay's ball was a little behind him and he tried an overhead kick but didnt make a good connection so the keeper tidied up. Danny's second goal came after a soft looking Wivenhoe penalty. Abbo (who had just come on for Jay) was given a great ball out wide and he crossed inch perfect for Danny to head into the bottom corner for number three and game over.

On balance we had seven or eight good chances and they had two or three, even with a few high profile players in the side such as what looked like Stafford Browne who wasnt given a sniff all day. McGhee from Chelmsford, Artun from Heybridge (who Dolton always looked to have the beating of in the first half), Parmenter (ex Canvey), Gregory (ex Canvey). Trotty commanding in the air. Always in control and through to the next round. We were never under the cosh and it looked like we could have gone through a couple of gears if need be. Everyone looks to be benefitting from the new training setup.

Pleasantly susprised by the prize money on offer this year and £1,350 comes in handy.

A great result by the team yesterday, sounds like another positive performance. I see a number of good Ryman Premier sides went out yesterday. What are the chances we draw the Rams or Cray tomorrow!

But can someone tell me who Dolton is? Is he one of the players signed up from the reserve side?

I wonder whether the club budgeted for progress in FA Trophy.

My guess is that they would budget to get to 3Q round, which would mean a win in next round is essential as the prize money has in effect been 'spent'.

We really also need the £3k from a win in 3Q round and the £4K from 1st round proper of Trophy to compensate for the major [****!!****]-up in losing out on the £5K we would have got by beating Potters Bar.

This Trophy is an important competition for us

Due to my computer breaking down at the weekend this is the first time I have been able to post on here as at work. Well done lads on a good victory and hope for a favourable home draw in the next round.