Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Left, right or both?

MOTM v Sutton  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

• P Nicholls
    • A Lacey
    • C Robinson
    • K Millington
    • D Young
    • J Haverson
    • J Keister
    • W Wilson
    • J Healy
    • L Blackman
    • S West
    • S Cliff
    • L Smith

Hi,

I am trying to give more space to people - especially with smaller screens...

Do you think the navigation should be on the left, on the right or both.

I need to include adverts on the side as this site costs me a lot every month and I need to try and recoup some money.

I welcome your views....

(incidentally with both sides - it will still be possible to turn off the right hand side - but this then hides the shoutbox... )

Ian, I am sure everyone will get used to whatever layout you choose at the end of the day. I personally prefer not to see the shout box when running 800 x 600 unless you scroll to the right to see it. I know you can turn it on and off in your "preferences" but it's handy to be accessable by just scrolling to the right. If you just want to read the threads then scroll back to the left so the shout box disappears.

Which ever you chose in the end, please put the "Latest Posts on Fan Focus" box higher up so it is visible without having to scroll down. It's really useful, especially when games are likely to be off, and a lot more useful than a list of the top posters in the last 30 days.

Is it not possible to have the option to have no side bars at all, or the possibility to choose what you would like to have in a particular side bar?

I know thats a tough thing to implement but from a personal point of view thats what I would like to see.

It would be nice to be able to select the items and I am investigating this.

The simple truth is that this site costs a fair bit every month - I loose $400 per month - therefore I need to try and recoup somehow. The adverts in the side bar, help to offset some of these costs.

I also need to include some sort of navigation - especially as the site grows.

Therefore turning off the right hand column is not an issue.

However I am trying to find a solution that suits the majority.

Ian I hear what you say about the shout box but I just DETEST it personally. Have been looking for same as before where I can turn it off. Its so annoying me. I cant see a similar optional turn off button now Ian. Can I get that optional right hand box turn off back again so I can get rid. Its really bugging me.

I have reset to threaded mode. I assume that my navigation is set to right so that I have (all on the right) 'Fixtures & Results' in a box above the Shout Box followed by 'Latest Posts etc' underneath that etc etc. I did try (by clicking on 'My Stuff' and then 'Preferences' to set Navigation to left (for comparison purposes) but there seems to be no means of doing so there, or any place else that I can see...but I suspect the fault is mine.

Previouslyy I accessed FanFocus by a link from my Brentwood FC website but now that I have them both on my 'Favourites' I can see the merits of your website even more clearly. As a very newcomer I think you do a great job and I hope everyone properly appreciates your efforts.

So I shall vote for 'Right'. All the best

Personally i would loose the shout box. or stick it on the bottom. other than that i think you have done wonders on the site. i suppose it would help if people were asked via the forum to click on the advert links every so often to help with your finance of the site. or have a donation box... Either way Thanks for all you do to let us have the site..

Thanks guys.

To be honest, I will probably return to the menu's before, with the ability to turn off the right hand menu that contains the shoutbox, especially as there is no clear preference amongst people.

I am also looking to move some of the boxes into the area beneath the forums.

I was trying to create more space - but if you turn off the right menu then, you can gain this extra space and loose the shoutbox if that is what you prefer.

Many thanks for all your comments.

I have changed the columns back - I have created a link at the top to turn right hand column off, that will hide the shoutbox if you dislike it.

I hope to be adding code soon(ish) to enable you to display items where you like.

Certain items will also move to beneath the forums, as the navigation on the left may grow.

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions - they are appreciated.