Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Wingate + Finchley 1 Enfield Town 1

Hawkeye Pierce

John, Campbell, Bastian, Tickner, Gant, Magona, Velandia, Jones, Crace, Hammatt, Negus, Nyman, Hunt, Carroll, Opoka, Harris.

Well this was a game Town won even though the score-line failed to reflect that fact. One linesman with a guide dog and a ref with selective memory loss syndrome. Town start well with Bryan Hammatt hitting the bar and then being adjudged as offside. Players realising they were offside and running back on an unrelated part of the pitch were flagged offside and players who ran round defenders too! Let’s be generous and say the officiating was poor.

Matty Negus shot wide. Bryan Hammatt had a shot blocked. Simon tickner tackling back well. Andy Jones had a shot saved. Town then went to sleep and nearly gifted a goal out of nothing to W+F. Steve Magona heads wide. Paul Campbell heads wide. Paul Campbell crosses for Ricci Crace to shoot over the bar.

Second half Stephen Opoka “Red Hot” on for Bryan Hammatt YES! After an incident in the first half this time Andy Jones was booked. Finally on 71 minutes Houdek scored a goal for W+F. Rather than risk a second yellow for Andy Jones Town bring him and Campbell off and replace with Nyman and Hunt. Dean Nyman breaks doiwn the wing over crosses and Negus manages to keep it in for Crace to score from about 2 inches. 1 – 1. From here on in Town looked the team most likely to score as W+F sat back after getting their goal. A Dean Nyman cross for Stephen Opoka to head a half chance. Gradually Opoka was getting into the game but more important Town were starting to believe that they could win this. At the other end JJ saves with his finger tips. Stephen Opoka was giving the Peter Crouch type problems. On the stroke of full time Ricci Crace scored a good goal which was ruled out by the ref for a reason that only he knows why? And I hope he doesn’t sleep tonight for such a poor decision!

Town looked good and the final quarter of the match front line is starting to look the business.

'Town looked good' - Were we at the same match? Nyman made the difference with his pace out on the right hand side. Andy Jones and Paul campbell were both guilty of using their hands to beat defenders. AJ reminded me of Maradonna!

I thought we were poor overall and a 1-1 scoreline summed it up.

The W and F number 5 was outstanding - big, quick and good with his head and feet. Now why can't we have players like him knocking on the door to play for the Town?

Originally Posted By: Rhymenreason

Well this was a game Town won even though the score-line failed to reflect that fact. One linesman with a guide dog and a ref with selective memory loss syndrome. Town start well with Bryan Hammatt hitting the bar and then being adjudged as offside. Players realising they were offside and running back on an unrelated part of the pitch were flagged offside and players who ran round defenders too! Let’s be generous and say the officiating was poor.

Ha ha...I love it..Apart from the usual ref rants, now you win a game having only drawn it. grin

Town only woke up in the last 20 mins, it has been written else where that this is a weak league, well the first 70 mins gave that view some credibility, it was fecking awful!

Dont understand why the goal was disallowed at the end, I thought Crace got in front of Ed Thompson & put it in, I did hear that Dave Hunt was alleged to have done the pushing but from where I stood I couldnt see anything untoward.

Wingate were a good solid outfit with some very good individuals the two central defenders worked their socks off with the number 5 surely bound for higher league football.

Another thing noticeable was their discipline, it was excellent, with the exception of the number 3 at the end of the game retaliating to a crass trip by Crace they just got on with the game without any moaning or whinging.

A draw about the right result, so its on to the big derby game on Tuesday, lets hope we carry the last 20 mins football yesterday into this game.

Thought we were ok-ish for the first twenty minutes, looked dangerous for the last 20, and absolutely dire for the middle 50! Why did we stop trying to pass the ball and resort to knocking the ball optimistically upfield blindly? And why did Jim take off Campbell and Jones ten seconds after I had agreed with Medders that our two best players were - Campbell and Jones. Just to make us look silly probably.

I don't usually comment on referees, but Mr Jaye had a thoroughly poor day at the office. Apart from the disallowed goal, he let so many late tackles go that it was a surprise that the game remained so low key for so long - Gazza, you are right about W&F's discipline. EFC had him last Tuesday - check out Top Gun's match report on their site for more details of his antics in that one.

Originally Posted By: abbeynut
Normal service is resumed.
I make you and coups right there Abbeynut ,There's Nothing like a good old Townie weekend whinge up to brighten the day . It makes me chuckle as they think everybody seems to hate them ,Mainly Lino's & Ref's. argue More dissent please Townie's its very funny grin

Originally Posted By: Steph
SOB

I agree with you the linos on Saturday were at fault for most of the wrong decisions.

However when a wingate player saves a certain goal with a goalie type dive when he isnt wearing the goalie jersey I think that the ref should have seen it!

You mean he didn't see what was going on? He saw plenty when we had the ball! Thats what I mean about selective memory loss syndrome.