Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

How Well Are We Doing?

I was thinking about a point that pabird made a while back how well we are doing this season. It has been agreed by many that this is the best side/squad that we've had since dropping back down into the Ryman, but with this in mind does out current 11th position reflect a good return?

Looking at who we've played so far, I'm quite confident that we have it in us to start putting points together at a more consistent rate. Here's the current league positions along with how many times we've played each team :

1. Sutton United - Played 1

2. Kingstonian - Played 2

3. Bury Town - Played 2

4. Cray Wanderers - Played 2

5. Tonbridge Angels - Played 0

6. Lowestoft Town - Played 2

7. AFC Hornchurch - Played 1

8. Harrow Borough - Played 2

9. Concord Rangers - Played 0

10. Carshalton Athletic - Played 1

11. Canvey Island

12. Hendon - Played 0

13. Billericay Town - Played 2

14. Tooting & Mitcham United - Played 1

15. Margate - Played 2

16. Horsham - Played 1

17. Wealdstone - Played 1

18. Aveley - Played 1

19. Hastings United - Played 0

20. Maidstone United - Played 0

21. Croydon Athletic - Played 0

22. Folkestone Invicta - Played 1

This shows that the average league position of the teams we've played so far to be 9th, as opposed to 14th of the teams we have still to play...

Now I know that their is no guarantee that we will beat the teams below us, but 10 of our remaining 20 games being against teams in the bottom 7 is something that we have to take advantage of if we are to call this season a success in my opinion. I'm confident that we can start to string some results together and reach a potential 60-65 point tally which could be enough for a playoff spot...

I was thinking about a point that pabird made a while back how well we are doing this season. It has been agreed by many that this is the best side/squad that we've had since dropping back down into the Ryman, but with this in mind does out current 11th position reflect a good return?

Looking at who we've played so far, I'm quite confident that we have it in us to start putting points together at a more consistent rate. Here's the current league positions along with how many times we've played each team :

1. Sutton United - Played 1

2. Kingstonian - Played 2

3. Bury Town - Played 2

4. Cray Wanderers - Played 2

5. Tonbridge Angels - Played 0

6. Lowestoft Town - Played 2

7. AFC Hornchurch - Played 1

8. Harrow Borough - Played 2

9. Concord Rangers - Played 0

10. Carshalton Athletic - Played 1

11. Canvey Island

12. Hendon - Played 0

13. Billericay Town - Played 2

14. Tooting & Mitcham United - Played 1

15. Margate - Played 2

16. Horsham - Played 1

17. Wealdstone - Played 1

18. Aveley - Played 1

19. Hastings United - Played 0

20. Maidstone United - Played 0

21. Croydon Athletic - Played 0

22. Folkestone Invicta - Played 1

This shows that the average league position of the teams we've played so far to be 9th, as opposed to 14th of the teams we have still to play...

Now I know that their is no guarantee that we will beat the teams below us, but 10 of our remaining 20 games being against teams in the bottom 7 is something that we have to take advantage of if we are to call this season a success in my opinion. I'm confident that we can start to string some results together and reach a potential 60-65 point tally which could be enough for a playoff spot...

Nicely put TGE.

We have had a pretty tough first half of the season with home and away games against a number of the form sides.

Consistancy has been our problem to date and i know its something both John and Glen are trying to address.

The next month or so is key to the rest of the season and our small squad will be pushed to its limit. Im sure we may see a new face or 2 if and when the right player becomes avalible to give us some added squad depth.

I personally think we have really missed Leon Gordon, his energy and ability on the right of midfield has been a big loss, plus he chips in with a few goals too.

Its time for us fans to really back the team over the coming weeks and drive the club into those play off places, starting against Maidstone on Saturday.

"The next month or so is key to the rest of the season and our small squad will be pushed to its limit. Im sure we may see a new face or 2 if and when the right player becomes avalible to give us some added squad depth."

Sorry Shedboy to quote you but why do we need added squad depth? We do not use or utilise the squad we have, apart from the guaranteed 11/12 players (check the stats) that the management will start and play every game this season regardless of performance, fitness or form. We do not change our team. Do we not trust our subs or squad..? Why would you want to join Canvey to sit on the bench??

I agree we need to bring in a few but we do need to be bringing in younger players and give then a chance...

How many tactical changes have you seen us make during a game..?? how many players get draged..?? how many players do you see rested..??? how many players get droped..????

I am sorry but without healthy competition and or faith in your whole squad you will not win anything and at the moment our management seem to have as much vision as the lookout on the Titanic...

Just my view of course..:grin:

"The next month or so is key to the rest of the season and our small squad will be pushed to its limit. Im sure we may see a new face or 2 if and when the right player becomes avalible to give us some added squad depth."

Sorry Shedboy to quote you but why do we need added squad depth? We do not use or utilise the squad we have, apart from the guaranteed 11/12 players (check the stats) that the management will start and play every game this season regardless of performance, fitness or form. We do not change our team. Do we not trust our subs or squad..? Why would you want to join Canvey to sit on the bench??

I agree we need to bring in a few but we do need to be bringing in younger players and give then a chance...

How many tactical changes have you seen us make during a game..?? how many players get draged..?? how many players do you see rested..??? how many players get droped..????

I am sorry but without healthy competition and or faith in your whole squad you will not win anything and at the moment our management seem to have as much vision as the lookout on the Titanic...

Just my view of course..:grin:

Every management team has a prefered first choice 11 and im sure ours is no different. I don't agree that there is an issue with having faith in all players.

Squads evolve and change as the season moves on, most have a mix of youth and experience, some clubs have budgets for bigger and arguably more skilled players.

We have a fairly small squad of good players all of which already have ability at this level or in some cases for the likes of Ben Brittnell, Jamie Matthews and Ellis Skidmore its about gaining valuable experience of being around a first team squad.

Changes in the squad breed competition and all Managers are always looking at ways of improving the team to ensure progress is made. Again im sure we are no different.

I feel this is the best squad we have had since the club was taken over by the current board and im sure each and every player will play there part.

COYY!

I agree with Shedboy that all managers must have an ideal XI in their mind, and where possible will try and get that XI out on the pitch come matchday.

However, all players have to start out somewhere, and I always look at Jason Hallett as a good example of how sometimes chances come about. Jason only broke into the Canvey side in the Conference due to an injury crisis involving the likes of Boylan being unavailable. When he came in he took his chance with goals against Grays home and away, and was in and around the side for the rest of the season.

I would have liked to have seen someone like Ellis Skidmore have a bit more time on the pitch, especially after his loan spell at Redbridge and his good performance against a strong Dagenham & Redbridge defence in the Senior Cup. I was disappointed that he didn't keep his place for the Heybridge league cup game, as I think many were. However, he is now starting to get some league minutes under his belt, and in my opinion this wouldn't be happening if Batchy didn't have confidence in him. I know it's only 5 minutes here and there at the moment, but everyone has to start somewhere. I'd like to see him start getting increasing minutes over the coming weeks, and would definitely like to see him earn a start by the end of the season.

As for the likes of Jamie Matthews, I have enjoyed watching his performances in the reserves this season, and for a 17 year old lad he's plays well beyond his years. Again, I'd like to see him get some minutes under his belt as the season goes on.

What we have to remember is that Ellis is training with the likes of Danny Heale, Ben Britnell with the likes of Kevin Dobinson and Matt Game, and Matthews with players like Danny Kerrigan and Craig Davidson. All of the above would be good players for the above to aspire to, and what goes on the training pitch with a UEFA A Licence coach like Glen Alzapiedi will hopefully mean that their development as players isn't limited to getting game time.

If we don't make the play offs come the end of the season, then it won't be the end of the world but it would be nice to make a decent challenge for a top 5 placing and keep interest in the season alive for as long as we can.

Although we've been inconsistent this season, we have a much better side than last season and the standard of football we've played has been much improved.

We've played some good attacking football at times and the two matches with Dartford and home games against Bury and Billericay were really entertaining games to watch.

Last season especially towards the end was rather tedious at times and there were very few games that would live long in the memory. This season has been different and far more entertaining.

We're developing a good squad of players that has a great deal of potential and on its' day can make life tough for the top sides.

Edited by YELLOW

How well are we doing? - Below expectations I would say in most fans' eyes. Finishing 16th last season was an abomination after being told during the close season we'd be pushing for a play-off spot. We've heard it again this season, "we're going to make a serious push for the playoffs". As Glen has noted above we've played most of the teams above us twice already, leaving the teams below us to make up the majority of our remaining fixtures. On paper, that looks to be in our favour, but as we've seen in the past where the better the opposition, the better we play; league positions get thrown out the window.

Everyone has said how inconsistent we've been this season, but you have to address why? How can a team take Conference South opposition to a thrilling penalty shoot out and then the following weekend, get knocked out of the Trophy by a team in the League below, (fatigue is not a good enough reason when you have a squad of 20+ players). There are plenty of other examples; you lose 2-0 at home to Tooting then go and put three past Hornchurch at their place. You play your Essex rivals off the park, winning 3-2, then get stuffed by Harrow Borough........

As for the starting eleven, I don't think many will argue that the team we've put out these last two games is our strongest considering who is available. What some people will argue about though is why name certain players on the bench if you're not going to involve them and where do the youngsters fit in when the likes of Jon Edwards and Leon Gordon are back to fitness to join the regulars like West, Isa, Kerrigan and Hallett on the bench. Like I said in the original thread, some of our more fringe players would probably benefit more by departing and going to a Club where they'd get more games.

If the likes of Skidmore and Matthews are going to be brought on with five minutes to go, and have the length of time spent on the pitch increase then great, it'll do them a world of good. If however they won't even make the bench when everyone is fit, then you can't blame them for getting disillusioned.

Personally, I'd like to see Skidmore start against Aveley and Matthews to get at least 15 minutes on Tuesday night. You can't argue with the likes of Rhodes, Heale, Game and Easterford being rested for the minor cup games, even though I'd love to see the players that do come in give a right go of it.

I'd like to think that eventually over the coming seasons our youngsters will naturally slot in for the more experienced players then new youngsters from the highly rated U18s will make their breakthrough.

Edited by Matt H

Consistancy has really been a problem this season. Any side that can't win two games in a row will find it difficult to mount a serious play off challenge.

As Shedboy said, the next month will be extremely important and looking at the next few games against the likes of Maidstone, Hastings, Hendon and Croydon, they're all winnable and a good return would put us right in contention.

I think with the likes of youngsters the saying goes "if they are good enough, they are old enough"...After the chat on here yesterday I noted from the program notes that Ellis Skidmore has been with the club a number of years and is now 20 yrs old, hardley a youngster...Training with senior players is I agree can only be benificial, but can you name me one player who has gained experience by just training and sitting on the bench.??

Let me ask the forum this...If Skidmore had played from the start of the season and scored 5 league goals in 22 starts, like our 'top' striker would he still be an automatic choice and be playing again this saturday..???

You put 3 penalties past us,albeit they were actually all penalties,we were a poor side back then,you will find a completely different Hornchurch side Who have lost 1 league game in over 3 months albeit to a good Lowestoft side,although we battered them in the second half,many at Hornchurch feel that we can challenge for the title

Personally I think that is a very distorted statistic, as everybody knows full well that Jay has played half of those games as a right winger. Whether that should have been the case is up for debate. I actually think Jay Curran is having is best season with the club to date - that hasn't necessarily meants bags of goals, but his level of performance has been as good as I've seen it this season.

For me we have two sets of very different strikers - Heale & Skidmore and Curran & Hallett. It would be good to see that if any player picks up an injury or has a dip in form, the other "like for like" player can be brought in. Danny Heale has had a very good season so far - a few below par performances along the way but all in all he's done what he was brought here to do. Ellis may have to wait for a break like so many players throughout the history of the game have had to, but when it comes you can bet your life that he'll have a lot of people willing him to succeed.

Personally I think that is a very distorted statistic, as everybody knows full well that Jay has played half of those games as a right winger. Whether that should have been the case is up for debate. I actually think Jay Curran is having is best season with the club to date - that hasn't necessarily meants bags of goals, but his level of performance has been as good as I've seen it this season.

For me we have two sets of very different strikers - Heale & Skidmore and Curran & Hallett. It would be good to see that if any player picks up an injury or has a dip in form, the other "like for like" player can be brought in. Danny Heale has had a very good season so far - a few below par performances along the way but all in all he's done what he was brought here to do. Ellis may have to wait for a break like so many players throughout the history of the game have had to, but when it comes you can bet your life that he'll have a lot of people willing him to succeed.

Totally agree that it is a very distorted statistic.! Curran has been excellent so far and Healsey has brought a number of qualities to our side.

TGE view is a very fair reflection to date.

British Legion Vet - Im sure Ellis will get his chance when the time is right, in my view the club are looking after him very well by allowing him time out on loan earlier in the season and now giving him game experience in the Ryman Premier.

As always any young player involved with the club will get the full support of the Yellow Army when there break comes!

Will we see a new forward join the ranks of the coming days? Who knows, but if it makes us stronger for the play off challenge it has to be a positive!

Will we see a new forward join the ranks of the coming days? Who knows, but if it makes us stronger for the play off challenge it has to be a positive!

That's an almighty tease seeing as Lee Boylan is available! :grin: Could we afford to bring him back?

I see John's comments in the Echo that he's been talking to new players, lets hope they can play down the right.

This is definitely our best squad since reforming, some of our performances this season have been brilliant and although it looks like we are inconsistent we have actually been very unlucky. James Rowes departure was a big loss as his partnership with Konk was starting to look formidable. We are creating more than enough chances to win games and someone is due a good beating. JC's energy levels have been incredible this season and although he hasnt scored the goals a 'striker' should be getting he has contributed to his fair share of assists. Chesney is our top scorer at the moment, I couldnt care less who scores as long as we are scoring and the strikers are definitely assisting! John easterford is an example for anyone on the bench, when he 1st arrived at the club he wasn't a guaranteed starter, but when he was given his chance he has taken it with both hands and has been awesome. When Ellis gets his chance it will be down to him to make the most of the opportunity and give Batchy the headache all managers want, its good to see healthy competition for places which I think we as supporters are going to benefit from!

That's an almighty tease seeing as Lee Boylan is available! :grin: Could we afford to bring him back?

I see John's comments in the Echo that he's been talking to new players, lets hope they can play down the right.

We certainly couldn't afford him!