Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Biggleswade Town

Originally Posted By: Wader
Everytime you bring up the subject of Haringey Borough you open the door for others to discuss it too surely?

Well yes that goes without saying but don't you think it's a little strange that the four members who are actually associated with the Club, namely 'Sugar', 3praise, Fenny and Rak don't

Rhodes is not the first person to try and re-write history, but unfortunately, on this occasion, he is hoist with his own petard. As Wader says, there is ample evidence on this forum that he claimed at the time to have been sacked. More recently, he modified this to say that he jumped before he was pushed!

Dear Thefan

You are not alone in lamenting the tangents or unfortunately wrongly identifying the culprit. He cant work on his own!

Would you like to update the score?

On the promotion issue I am dismayed that the structure of football in this country is not sorted after all these years.

I blame ground sharing. I dont mean for exampleKentish Town hiring a ground or whatever the detail is to play football, I mean clubs who have a ground sharing agreement with another to move up the pyramid.It creates a bottleneck about this level. and as for reserve sides playing against first teams well!

come on the stony (trying to show my credentials for wader's sake!)

I wonder how history will recall Mr Blackwells departure from Luton?

His autobiography will probably show he resigned, the Luton Opus when it comes out will probably show he was sacked.

The phrase jumped before he was pushed which I have seen used on here is probably accurate.

#

Biggleswade may benefit in the long run from another season in their current division,but I will wish them well if they move up

Originally Posted By: Part Time
Sorry Rhodes.. Correct me if i am wrong here but i thought the original purpose of this forumn was to talk about the south midlands leage and its member clubs and the football that they are involved in and there progression etc.. I understand that you seem to see it as the equivalent of a school playground where you can ruin everybodys sensible and often interesting threads with your inane, mindless drivel but please at least try not to shoot down in flames anybody that does try to use the forum for its correct purspose and instead just leave them to get on with it!

AGREED !

TSF - I like history do you? History is full of despots who re-wrote the stuff. Apparantly if you had a room full of 12 people, one would be a another Stalin, Hitler or Pol-Pot, given the opportunity.

One despot (say on here) would clearly be under average, but a good despot will (like a lot of wild animals) clearly defend and fight dirty for his own patch, warding off others with increasing vigour. It is a fact that despots gather disciples easily, there is something about the bully that a percentage of us wish to associate with apparantly, especially the weak minded. Anyway, enough of history and how it is written for the moment.

The promotion bottleneck as you call it has never revolved around clubs who groundshare for a leg up. There are rules about that kind of stuff, thankfully not augmented by the organisers of fringe international football tournoi's! The system is supposed to be a pyramid, but a very odd shaped one inevitably has anomolies. Not ideal by a long shot.

i shall be on the train for an hour or so tomorrow wader, i may investigate the groundshare bit.I may well be wrong thinking it creates a bottleneck at step 4/5.

I am not trying to criticise any club at all here, but reserves playing against firsts and ground sharing artificially inflates the number of clubs playing at a given level.

Theres something fundamentally wrong I cant quite place now.

I will consider that on the journey into smokesville tomorrow and check out how the allotment junta are progressing over a bacon bagel and pork and pickle panini. If i can say it on the way home ill be disappointed.

Originally Posted By: thespursfan
.... but reserves playing against firsts and ground sharing artificially inflates the number of clubs playing at a given level.

Really don't get your gist here and I think you're barking up a tree that really doesn't exist. Give examples to quantify that statement if you wouldn't mind.

Please bear with me on this, I've only been involved in non-league football for 20 years so I may have missed something here. By the way, the FA's preferred route forward for clubs is more groundshare agreements! Although the Ryman league have recently and publicly pinned their flag to the mast of no triple groundshares (and that involves all sports clubs using one main pitch/stadium (rugby, atheltics etc).

Been flat out this week Wader not been down since Sunday whats the pitch like since your work yesterday, did you spike,roll,sand or just repair the damage where poss.

Just read that back and sounds like a dig, isn't honest just intersted giveup

I tried to go and look at your ground the other day but locked are there any days you or Maurice are up there would love the 'tour'.

Originally Posted By: Mcmullen
Been flat out this week Wader not been down since Sunday whats the pitch like since your work yesterday, did you spike,roll,sand or just repair the damage where poss.
Just read that back and sounds like a dig, isn't honest just intersted giveup

I tried to go and look at your ground the other day but locked are there any days you or Maurice are up there would love the 'tour'.

The pitch looked ok, but wouldn't take the roller - the 4 wheel drive couldn't even shift the thing bar the near touchline. Got to be the heaviest roller ever built! Then it absolutely hammered it down and a roaring gale blew up from somewhere. i was soaked through and for some strange reason had mud in my hair (not that there's a lot left of that for it to hide in!).

There's top quality sand over the bad outfield bit although I left the goalmouths alone save for a forking - they are the worst bits. We have an inspection booked for 11am, if rain tonight it will be off no doubt. Vale need to know early for their travelling.

I'll have another go at it next week.

You must have been unlucky getting into the new ground. We're on there every week day, at the moment the building is going up. I'm crappin it! But so far so good, and over the 70.26m oversite we were within a tolerance of 30mm. Not bad at all even if I say so myself. Still, it is a worrying time but exciting nonetheless. Snowy (the old Bigg Utd gaffer) was up there today having the tour, such a nice bloke. You're welcome for said tour anytime, give me a bell (numbers in the handbook).

sorry to keep on but you are all normally kind enough to tolerate me.

this reserve stuff im banging on about at the moment, two reserve sides in ssml div 1 and from what ive had a look at 2 or 3 ressies in rest of country doing the same?

is it shut up tsf or can you point me towards the light please?

ever grateful

tsf

So you're talking about Bedford Town/Cheshunt ressies playing in Div 1 for example? They are the genuine reserve sides of those clubs. They ply their trade in a strictly governed way with regard to promotion and the level they can play at with regard to their first team. It doesn't 'clog'.

There are reserve leagues, my personal favourite is The Capital League. Choice depends on your region, whether you want your ressies to play midweek only (as in CL) or at weekends. I think a dedicated ressies league is far better than say SSML Div 1. My personal preference though.

The 2 reserve sides didn't stop any teams going from step 7 to step 6 for this season, as there were no clubs with lights (a pre-req of our Div 1)in a promotion position in Div 2. There was no relegation from Div 1 at the end of last season.

If Cheshunt get relegated I think (not certain) that their reserves would have to return to reserve div 1 from whence they came. It's only teams at step 3 and above which are allowed to have their reserve team at step 6.

There is only one team currently in Div 2 who play under lights - Crawley Green are sharing at Barton, so they could be promoted.

Originally Posted By: HTFCew
There is only one team currently in Div 2 who play under lights - Crawley Green are sharing at Barton, so they could be promoted

Wouldn't this be a little unfair on the other teams in Division 2, it means that any Club can negotiate a groundshare deal on a ground with floodlights purely to gain promotion to Division 1. Crawley Green could finish third behind Kings Langley and AFC Dunstable yet still go up.