Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Does any other club in CCL have a Barmy Army?

Originally Posted By: TRS
Well there's a group of upstarts at Guildford that fancy themselves but apart from that... laugh

Not been the same since Chas the one man Barmy Army of Ash stopped going...

You mean the geeky college/university lads that probably know bugger all about football?? All got four eyes and not got a decent song between them. I spoke to a Guildford city player after our recent game with them and even he was embarrassed by them.

Chas was quality - best supporter ever!!

Originally Posted By: johnnojudo
You mean the geeky college/university lads that probably know bugger all about football?? All got four eyes and not got a decent song between them. I spoke to a Guildford city player after our recent game with them and even he was embarrassed by them.

As one of the aforementioned 'geeky university upstarts', I feel I should defend our supporters group 'The Sweeney'.

Do you really expect to get more people interested in local football if they are forced to stand there and just... watch?

I'd feel pretty ripped off if I paid my entry and had to stand there, moaning to the person next to me about how 'money is ruining the game' or starting a conversation about how 'our Doris has just had a hip replacement'.

If our support for Guildford manifests itself in a bit of colour and a bit of noise, then what is it to you? I'd rather 'support' than 'spectate'... after all, it would be much easier to sit at home or in the pub watching a better level of football and that would benefit no-one.

In the end, our ever growing band of supporters (whether four eyed or not) just serves to attract more people to watch the CCL, which can only be a good thing surely?

I am not for one second under the impression that everyone wants to chant and jump about like idiots, but for us it's a good laugh with some friends. And if stops us mugging old ladies on streets corners like ALL of us youths do these days, who's complaining?

You might not appreciate it, and maybe some of the players don't, but I don't appreciate people cutting me up on roundabouts but there's nothing I can do about it... my point here is that you can choose to ignore us, you can live with us... we haven't tried to force you to stand up and make some noise, so don't try to stop us. Deal?

And as for not knowing anything about football, I urge you to 'bring it on' as us trendy kids would say... I'm pretty sure we could hold our own as we seem not to have such an introverted outlook as yourself.

I for one am a qualified referee and would quite happily discuss the laws of association football with you, should you deem it necessary. Or were you thinking football history? Again, a subject that I'm certain we would not be found wanting on.

On the positive side, I'm impressed by Ash United's choice of hot snacks, as the pasties went down very well. At least that's something, eh?

As a final note, do you have a personal vendetta against people who wear glasses? Perhaps you could suggest it to your players for their next game against us... they might not get beaten 3-1.

Yours,

Regan
The Sweeney

Saturday night 1.26, didnt pull again then sweeney ? wink

Shouldnt worry too much about Jonno's post its a bit small club syndrome( too scared to say little man syndrome) Ash v Guildford.

there are some players and managers on here who moan about the poor quality of the refs, and now the supporters, whilst remaining convinced they should be playing for Real Madrid.

Personally I think you lads are doing fine, some great chants (even if I had to give you the Horley one)

Originally Posted By: Guildford Sweeney

As one of the aforementioned 'geeky university upstarts', I feel I should defend our supporters group 'The Sweeney'.

Do you really expect to get more people interested in local

football if they are forced to stand there and just... watch?

The Barmy Army for Guildford City are you coming to Scours Lane on the Saturday 5th April when Guildford take on the mighty Reading Town. It would be great to have some banter with the away fans for once, I am the one with drum who never shuts up no matter what the score is.

Red Army Red Army Colin Millard's Barmy Army

Originally Posted By: Rattled07
Played in front of those noisy gits yesterday. It was the only highlight of the day!!

P.s Does anyone know who the bloke with the drum is at Reading games who never shuts up, no matter what the score is....?!

Haha, pmsl!!!! (and the response!)

"Tell us more... He is the Messiah, he is the Messiah. He is the chosen one. We must follow the chosen one. Hail Messiah!!"

Jump on that band wagon Spursfan.... suprised you didnt mention Dorking somewhere in that recent post of yours...Boring!!!!

Mr Sweeney....good to see your 'refereeing qualification' is keeping you busy on a Saturday. You must be a pretty decent ref!!!!

Think yourself lucky Guildford City were given the opportunity to play Ash this season, cos you should have been relegated last season. And no!!! I dont have a vendetta against people with glasses....it was just a general description of your geeky band.

Pitchside banter??? Every week i recieve a little banter from someone. Naturally i will expect a little more than usual next season from the 'dirty tax dodgers'.

If i put myself in the firing line then i expect to get shot.

I can handle it. I've always got a bit more to give back.

Think we need a bit more of it to be honest.

Originally Posted By: RTFC Barmy Army drummer

The Barmy Army for Guildford City are you coming to Scours Lane on the Saturday 5th April when Guildford take on the mighty Reading Town.

Indeed we shall, albeit not at full strength sadly. We will also bring our red pens to correct your spelling mistakes.

Originally Posted By: johnnojudo
Mr Sweeney....good to see your 'refereeing qualification' is keeping you busy on a Saturday. You must be a pretty decent ref!!!!

I gave up refereeing on the parks two years ago when the level of respect towards referees decided to plunge into negative figures. Someone around about the same time that I realised that getting up early on Sunday mornings and spending two hours being sworn at just isn't fun.

We look forward to meeting you next season, where I'm sure we'll become acquainted, even if on opposite sides of a football pitch. But hang on... wouldn't that make more noise at football?... something you seem to be quite against!

If you're lucky you can even have your own song, any requests?

I think it is great having a few people making noise. Sorry JJ but Ash isnt the same without Chas. Once did a line at Hartley v Ash on a Tuesday. There was about 10 people watching. I was far side and had Chas behind me all game. Some bloke came round and asked if he was bothering me. I said no he was making my night doing his shouting. Always a great bloke to chat with too. I am starting a "Bring back Chas" campaign. Just one question for the Sweeney. Can anyone on the pitch actually hear you at the Spectrum ?