Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Monday's Game

OldTowner

May have been better if the game had been called off !!

What a poor performance it was.

There was no visible "effort" from the Town players until the final 2 minutes of added on time, once we had scored. I think this was our only effort on target throughout the entire match !

The last 10 games have produced 5 points from 30 with 1 win and 2 drawn games - relegation form by anyone's standard.

The players just don't appear to have any desire in their game and there did not appear to be any inspiration from the new management / coaching team.

Programme notes advised that the new management team know where they need to improve. Fine, they have only been in charge for 3 games, but based on the performance on Monday I would question the Boards decision not to go for a completely new management team who could introdce a new feel about the place.

Clearly the current team ( players and management ) don't seem to be able to motivate anyone.

We should finish about 14th as we are safe from relegation, but if this is it for next season, then God help us.

Well I think you all know I am a Mike Smee Fan and having watched him for a couple of years as a youth manager. I have never seen him sit down for a minute in a game let loan nearly the entire match. I think that maybe he has been told to let that other guy and Stewart take the games. In my opinion this a bad move as if you look at how we played against Ware.

Although we lost by three to Dartford if kofi hadn

I think you are referring to Kevin Durrant, the chap brought in to "assist".

He was the Manager at Ilford.

Now let's be honest, that is not the best cv he could have is it ?

Then again our man in charge was also at Ilford and Brimsdown, so he has not exactly been top of the League has he !!

Seems to me that the Board have just gone for the "easy option" and performances will stay about the level achieved against Wembley and Pots Bar.

As for Mike Smee - he seemed well up for it at Ware, but since then he has been number 3 in the management pecking order.

Shame, cos I heard he may not wait until the end of the season before he goes - just a rumour, but !!

I wouldn't be quite that premature OT, but a couple of things have worried me since the Ware game, apart from the disjointed performances. Yesterday our 'plan B' to rescue a point seemed to involve bringing on some tall guys in place of creative players and whacking a load of long balls. We sneaked an undeserved point, but the game was totally unwatchable - was that Mr Durrant's doing?

More worryingly, if Mike Smee was to go, then we would be in danger of losing a crop of talented youngsters as well, and that would be totally unacceptable. Still, as you say, just a rumour (at the moment..).

I know Mike Smee and the club would not loose him as he loves enfield town to much. All that would happen is he would go back to his youngsters then they would start playing attracktive looking football again. And once again I would be entertained for at least one game a weekend.

Originally Posted By: neo
I know Mike Smee and the club would not loose him as he loves enfield town to much. All that would happen is he would go back to his youngsters then they would start playing attracktive looking football again. And once again I would be entertained for at least one game a weekend.

Well let's hope so.
The Club need people like him to stay and develop the players....long term.

Originally Posted By: Father Jack
We sneaked an undeserved point, but the game was totally unwatchable

You hit the nail on the head FJ, what a load of rubbish we had to endure, and it was freezing cold!! To be fair, I thought the ref had a good game, even though it was a bit of a non-event. An improvement on that little dwarf ponce that refereed the Dartford game!!!!

Things appeared to be looking up at the Ware game and then they have to meddle by bringing a second rate coach like Durrant into the mix - he was manager of Ilford for god sake!! I was wondering where Mike was yesterday and then I spotted him on the bench....... that was only after lardy had moved to one side grin

Luke and Ozie were the only 2 players who came out of the game with any credit in my opinion - Luke got us the point and ran his socks off, and Ozie should be starting week in week out in my book. Good all round player that almost always makes the right decisions - we improved with his introduction, but too many of our players just weren't at the races.

Oh and our keeper Willis also played well and made some good saves, although I do not think that he is the answer to our problems. Probably should have been MOM. Good job Potters Bar Chav-Town FC couldn't finish!! Their keeper is the worst dressed player in the league by the way - had very good distribution on the most part though, even though he looked prone to make bad decisions.

Man of the Match in my book - Potters Bar No 5.

He was all across the back line, he headed everything and anything, he made tackles, cleared the ball away with almighty wacks upfield, fouled, was difficult to get past, talked to the players around him and overall a right pain the the backside to the Town players who went anywhere near him.

WHY CAN'T WE SIGN HIM - We could do with a guy in the centre of our defence like that, but we never seem to find one do we.

Originally Posted By: OldTowner

There was no visible "effort" from the Town players until the final 2 minutes of added on time, once we had scored. I think this was our only effort on target throughout the entire match !

The last 10 games have produced 5 points from 30 with 1 win and 2 drawn games - relegation form by anyone's standard.
The players just don't appear to have any desire in their game and there did not appear to be any inspiration from the new management / coaching team.

Programme notes advised that the new management team know where they need to improve. Fine, they have only been in charge for 3 games, but based on the performance on Monday I would question the Boards decision not to go for a completely new management team who could introdce a new feel about the place.

Clearly the current team ( players and management ) don't seem to be able to motivate anyone.

We should finish about 14th as we are safe from relegation, but if this is it for next season, then God help us.
For crist sakes the guys have only been in charge for a few games give them some time before the hatchets come out !!! They are probably trying new idea's & systems these things take time to fruit , Think yourselves lucky you dont have Tom Tit there then youll have plenty to moan about then .

Originally Posted By: Albury_Walker
Originally Posted By: OldTowner

For crist sakes the guys have only been in charge for a few games give them some time before the hatchets come out !!! They are probably trying new idea's & systems these things take time to fruit , Think yourselves lucky you dont have Tom Tit there then youll have plenty to moan about then .

Albury,
Were you at Wembley Tuesday ?
Were you there Monday ?
Are you going to GWR Saturday ?

I already stated that the guys have only been in charge for 3 games and acknowledged that this is a short time, however, if the attitude of the players represents the management we are in trouble til the end of the season and beyond.

"In my opinion" ( and I think many others )there is a degree of concern about the Boards decision not to bring in a fresh approach.

Even Your board wouldn't bring in new players yet, they are just seeing if the current duo can get anything more out of what you already have , Your season has been written off so why should they chuck even more good money after bad .

Don't make statements you cannot back up or know anything about.

I think you will find that the Club have bought in new players ( see the programmes notes and local rag ) plus "rumour is" that there may be one or two more this week.

See you next season for a couple of League games ?

Anyway why do i give a monkeys . I cant stand you .

i came to watch your game yesterday, was standing with a few old friends and thought what a poor game this was!! Yes it came with the mandatory ETFC scuffle middway through each half but in truth, this was a very poor game between 2 very poor teams. The ball spent most of the time either up in the air or off the pitch...or both. Not an ounce of football and the only person who actually tried to pass the ball (ETFC No.4( was taken off at half time and replaced with 'the more direct approach'. What are your plans for next year?? Is this the squad looking for promotion??

I think Max was taken off as he had a knock, but would agree, it was a very poor game. The frustrating thing is that we know that most of these players are more than capable of winning games and playing good football at this level, but have been way too inconsistent to threaten the promotion places.

From what I've heard, things have been improving over the last month (I've been away), but yesterday really wasn't the best. Great turn and cross from Marshall for the goal, and an emphatic headed finish as well, but I'm not sure we were worth a point...

I tried to start a thread yesterday but failed. Here it is.

My opinion of yesterday's game.

Is that enough for you?

Poor game played by two poor sides. It looked like an end season nothin game. Unfortunately, it is still March. A lot of hard work needs to be carried out if we are to get back on track next season.

Crowd of 291. Were they in the bar?

What a woeful display. No direction, no ideas, no effort. The new management team clearly hasn't had much time, but it doesn't take a genious to see that most of the players just don't care. Either that or they just aren't good enough, either way some action needs to be taken.

Relegation will stare us in the face next year which takes us back 6 years, I'd even prefer that than have a repeat of the series of lacklustre games I've seen over the past four months, tehre was not not much better since end of last year, but at least we won a few.

It is time to rebuild, get some pride and passion back in this club. All I hear is negativity, lack of passion and it's no wonder that crowds are diminishing. I don't know who counts the fans but 291 -I don't think so. Lots of season ticket holders staying away - not too surprising !

I'm not wasting my time going to GWR, can't face another farce. I think that the board should be brave, accept that the current crop of players ( most of them ) will not be here, don't deserve to be here. Get a new experieenced man manager and motivator in and get a good coach to work with him.( mike Smee if he is as good as we are told ) Let's build again and give us something to cheer about and support - we haven't had anything to cheer about this year !

I don't think I can stand much more and there are many more like me around.