Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Picking the team - a new direction?

Stu M

Be warned - this, from MyFC, is long...

>>

I am sure you are aware that for some time now members have been trailing the team selector to pick a team and a formation from the first team squad for all matches.

The selector itself is a fairly simple interface but behind it is a complex database which queries the results so that both different formations and players positions are taken into account in arriving at the final formation and player choices amalgamated from each members individual choices.

In addition, video streaming of matches have been introduced, including free 90 minutes of matches plus a low cost High resolution version, enabling members to view past games at their leisure in order for them to familiarise themselves with the team and tactics. ProZone statistics have also been supplied to members.

A space on the website has also been allocated for members who have been to matches to enter match reports for the benefit of other members. Some members have gone to the trouble of posting threads with detailed information on players.

During this time, Liam Daish has been consulted on all aspects of team picking and while he naturally has had questions about such a big change to his role at the club and about how it is going to work in practice, he has nevertheless made it clear that he prepared to have member input on team selection and will run with it if that is the members wish. Arrangements have also been made with the coach to conduct audio interviews where he discusses issues to do with the players and the team generally

There are several problems however.

With the purchase of the club only being a month ago, there have been a multitude of issues to deal with including the smooth transfer of ownership from previous owners, the establishment of the society board and dealing with applications for the club board. There has been the production of the financial statements to be presented to the members. There have been issues regarding the new strip, transfer and contract requests from the head coach and, because of the clubs achievement in reaching the FA Trophy final, many issues to deal with about this. All of these and many more issues have had to be dealt with immediately and could not be delayed. They simply have had to be the priority.

The level of interest in the team selector and general discussion on formations, players, tactics etc has been very low. On average, only about 1% to 1.5% of members are using the team selector to pick a team, and far fewer are watching 90 minutes of matches. It has therefore been very difficult to design a system that will work based on such low results. The resulting teams from these selections have been reasonable, but fairly predictable and not particularly ground breaking.

In addition, an example where Chris McPhee was used at right back against Aldershot was suggested by no one at all. This was a selection that proved very effective against a talented and speedy winger and yet there is no mechanism that allows Daish the sort of flexibility for this sort of selection.

The web team have invested a lot of time and resources into providing full 90 minute match video either free or as low cost Hi resolution but again the number of members watching these matches is very low and there has been very little comment on the matches or the players performance based on these. The Web Team feel uncomfortable forcing team selection on to the club when it's not clear whether the appetite is there. The Web Team would appreciate feedback from members on how to improve the popularity and use of the team selector and the full 90 minutes match coverage.

Some have argued that the lack of interest has been due to the lack of training reports and other communications about players. Fair enough, but there has been little effort by members in trying to work with what we have got with a view to refining the whole thing based on practical experience. Some have asked for positions to be assigned to players on the selector, but isn

Wow - what a statement for them to produce. Basically admmitting they (as a group) aren't interested/committed enough to make decent team selections.

It doesn't really look good for the whole MyFC "own the club, pick the team" ethos if they can't get more than 1.5% of them to use the team selector, with many less bothering to watch the games (so, how ARE they deciding who plays, and where?)

At least they recognise the problem and are doing something about it...

Originally Posted By: Stu M
Not sure they've produced it as a statement as such, Patman, think it's an article written by a member (who is also on the MyFC society board).

Article was written by Paul Charnock (Arithon) who is a member of the MyFC Society Board. This is not the first time that Paul has raised this issue either. And for those not interested - I think it would be a serious mistake to pospone 'picking the team' for both MyFC and the Club.

Originally Posted By: doheochai

Article was written by Paul Charnock (Arithon) who is a member of the MyFC Society Board. This is not the first time that Paul has raised this issue either. And for those not interested - I think it would be a serious mistake to pospone 'picking the team' for both MyFC and the Club.

Why so Dom? Its clear from the above that presently there is very little interest, why push something through thats not important to the members?

And for those not interested - I think it would be a serious mistake to pospone 'picking the team' for both MyFC and the Club.

I can see your concern from a MyFC point of view, but only 1.5% of members using the team selector?! That's very low, even allowing for lack of interest because it's not live.

Originally Posted By: PatMan

why push something through thats not important to the members?

I disagree - I believe it is the one thing that all members will fundementally care about. It could be argued that the lack of interest in using the selector is the result of a lack of communication with the membership and a lack of direction in relation to how it works and what the members need to do to make it work. Just putting the selector on the site and leaving it to each individual member to use it is not enough. There has been a couple of occasions when I have forgot to make a selection. For votes that count the 'operator' emails memebrs to inform them of an impending vote and the vote-rate shows significant upturn after each email. This does not happen for the selector.

A more important point from my perspective (and remember I didn't join MyFC to pick the team) is that your predictions of a major drop-off in membership will occur if it is not implemented this season (and I would support not including the FAT final in this) and that would ahve very serious consequences for both MyFc and EUFC, particularly in financial terms.

A more important point from my perspective (and remember I didn't join MyFC to pick the team) is that your predictions of a major drop-off in membership will occur if it is not implemented this season (and I would support not including the FAT final in this) and that would ahve very serious consequences for both MyFc and EUFC, particularly in financial terms.

In effect then, you want the 'pick the team' option pushed through to ensure renewels next year? Why not leave it till next season? Renewels are not due till Jan 1 (I think?) so there is no great rush to change a system that has worked since August. The pre-season friendlies would be an ideal 'testing' period for the whole team-selector mechanism, leading to full implementation in time for the new season.

However, if the MyFC membership are happy to let things continue as they are (and I think by not making a selection, thats what they are voting for), then a complete re-think maybe required?

This all sounds "way too complicated" to me.

With all due respect, when picking the team surely most MYFC members surely won't sit through previous matches to gauge players performnace. Its a time factor issue.

Whether you like it or not, most people probably just want to move players into their favoured formation and away you go. Its Championship Manager "Live". At best they may read a "written briefing" from Liam on players or watch a "5 minute video diary".

Anything else is too much time and effort.

How many of us on here that are also MYFC members have sat through the full 90 minutes of games on MYFC? I certainly have not.

Originally Posted By: Bill Kent
I for one will not be using the selector. I would rather leave it to Liam to choose whom to play in whatever position, as he is more aware as to who his oposition is at the time of play.

As far as I know, and has been suggested by the MyFC who post here - there will NOT be a "Let Liam Pick His Team" option. (No, I don't agree with that either)
If the sensible majority then refuse to vote, this leaves the way open for the not so sensible majority to pick the team!
The whole pick the team thing is a very complicated situation, from picking the right player in the right position against the right opposition - and taking into account injuires, suspensions etc.
I guess its one reason it has not been rushed into, so that when it does go 'live' its a working system. But if only 1.5% want to use it, then why bother?

In effect then, you want the 'pick the team' option pushed through to ensure renewels next year? Why not leave it till next season?

I would suspect that a significant majority of members signed up to 'pick the team'. The concept was advertised as such. You and others on here have been suggesting that interest in MyFC is dropping off among the membership (and there is an element of truth in this) - but the memebrs were promised 'picking the team' in March - with the support of Daish. Not to implement it this season would, in my opinion, lead to serious loss of interest among a large section of the membership. The off- season will further compound the problem. The impact of thousand not renewing would be very significant for EUFC.

so there is no great rush to change a system that has worked since August. The pre-season friendlies would be an ideal 'testing' period for the whole team-selector mechanism, leading to full implementation in time for the new season.
in fact the current system is no different to what has been in existance for decades - the idea behind MyFC was to do something different - involve football fans in running a club and picking a team - you can only maintain peoples interest for so long if you don't actually do what you said you would do.

However, if the MyFC membership are happy to let things continue as they are (and I think by not making a selection, thats what they are voting for), then a complete re-think maybe required?

Absolutely disagree with this - since the team selector has be started not one single team selection has been published. No emails have been sent out telling members about the team selection process. I argued weeks ago that Daish should be outlining his views on the difference between his selection and the members selection and why he chose a different team (if that was the case). We were supposed to get training ground reports - hasn't happened. Members have got absolutely no feedback on team selection since the start and this week Opinal was indicated as suspended, no mention of Smith or Coleman injuries and Simpson was up on the selector long after he left the club. I am surprised 400 people even waste their time making the effort given the fact that no one even acknowledges it.

Originally Posted By: Bill Kent
I for one will not be using the selector. I would rather leave it to Liam to choose whom to play in whatever position, as he is more aware as to who his oposition is at the time of play.

As far as I know, and has been suggested by the MyFC who post here - there will NOT be a "Let Liam Pick His Team" option. (No, I don't agree with that either)
If the sensible majority then refuse to vote, this leaves the way open for the not so sensible majority to pick the team!
The whole pick the team thing is a very complicated situation, from picking the right player in the right position against the right opposition - and taking into account injuires, suspensions etc.
I guess its one reason it has not been rushed into, so that when it does go 'live' its a working system. But if only 1.5% want to use it, then why bother?

As I(and others) have said many times before, the lack of interest by the majority of members leaves the whole thing open to abuse. Just suppose the 1.5% that does vote on team selection are supporters of the team the Fleet are going to play that week. Can you imagine the havoc they could cause, and Liam would have to play the team that is picked.
Despite the crap Lord WAH WAH spouts, the system could lend itself to match fixing in the most legitimate way ever!

Absolutely disagree with this - since the team selector has be started not one single team selection has been published. No emails have been sent out telling members about the team selection process. I argued weeks ago that Daish should be outlining his views on the difference between his selection and the members selection and why he chose a different team (if that was the case). We were supposed to get training ground reports - hasn't happened. Members have got absolutely no feedback on team selection since the start and this week Opinal was indicated as suspended, no mention of Smith or Coleman injuries and Simpson was up on the selector long after he left the club. I am surprised 400 people even waste their time making the effort given the fact that no one even acknowledges it.

So your real problem with the whole pick the team thing is the mechanics of how it is done, and how the results are dealt with? I agree - this kinda lack of communication will cause lack of interest.

You don't sound to happy with the set-up anymore Dom - promises made and broken already starting to get ya down?

Originally Posted By: American FLEET FAN No1
Lord Wah Wah didn't get his own way PatMan..........The members didn't want him on their little board. They threw him, and his toys out of their sandbox! grinarse

AFF - I can almost hear you laughing from here!

You don't sound to happy with the set-up anymore Dom - promises made and broken already starting to get ya down?

I will complement peple when they do a good job and defend them if I feel they are being unfairly criticised. I will support any proposal that I feel is of benefit to the club and MyFC. But I will criticise any move I think is a mistake and oppose any proposal that will have a negative impact on the club. Any move to pospone 'picking the team' until next season will most certainly have a negative impact on the club. MyFC is now responsible for the financial well-being of the club and cutting off our nose to spite our face is a serious error in judgement. The Board should not be discussing the merits or not of 'picking the team' - but how to implement it as quickly ans efficiently as possible.