Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Picking the team - a new direction?

Stu M

Originally Posted By: ItsBusiness

How many of you could pick the England squad for tonights game? all of you me thinks.

How many of us would have put Chris McPhee at right-back for the 2nd leg game vs. Aldershot, where he marked and tackled the tricky left winger out of the game. Apparently, not one person out of 400 on the selector put him in this position.

That's my worry. Football isn't just picking the eleven best players; it's picking the team that gel. You can go 4-4-2, but there are a thousand things which affect the performance asides the formation. It's too complex to simplify into a 'Pick your 11' and too complex to interfere and upset a very delicate balance.

Originally Posted By: PatMan

Ah bless, is diddums upset cos he didn't get to play with the big boys?

Relief at not being elected was probably a closer description of how I felt. I expected the 'local' candidates to win all seven seats - actually surprised they only won six.
Am sure that the real Fleet fans (or 'locals' as you like to call them) realise this, and will work hard to ensure thay they ARE always represented fairly.

Just as equally that I am sure the 6,000 members who voted for 'local' candidates this time will not do so the next time because they do feel that the Board is unbalanced. I have no problem with the people who have been elected to the Board - all good committed people - but the Board does need to address the perception that it is dominated by the Fleet Trust. And those Board members who are members of the ST need to be aware that the MyFC Board is a different kettle of fish from what they are used to.

Originally Posted By: chris blanc
What happens to my picks if I go with a 4-4-2 and the concensus is to go 4-3-3?

The software for the interface is designed to weigh all the selections and allocate players accordingly. No matter what formation you pick your selection will be included the same way as every other selection.

Originally Posted By: KShep

How many of us would have put Chris McPhee at right-back for the 2nd leg game vs. Aldershot, where he marked and tackled the tricky left winger out of the game. Apparently, not one person out of 400 on the selector put him in this position.

The McPhee incident is irrelevent to the argument. It could just have easily not worked. And no one has ever suggested that if Daish needed to change something in the team that was voted - he couldn't. If he wants to change something then that's okay as long as he explains to the members why he did it afterwards (whether it works or not) and does not do it every week. The same would apply to injuries. A player could get injured on Friday when half the members have already voted. Of course Daish could change the team in such circumstances. What is not going to happen is Daish changing the team because he doesn't like the selection and doesn't want to explain why afterwards. Feedback from the coach is vital in the process

Originally Posted By: doheochai
The McPhee incident is irrelevent to the argument.

According to everyone who was there , it wasn't .

It could just have easily not worked.

But it really did - spectacularly !

What is not going to happen is Daish changing the team because he doesn't like the selection and doesn't want to explain why afterwards. Feedback from the coach is vital in the process

Hmmm ... reckon ?
Or - we start with a MY eleven , and waste a substitute on Liam's choice in the first minute to keep you happy ?
This won't work ... IMHO , of course .

Originally Posted By: Hirsty
Originally Posted By: ItsBusiness
I think that until now I've kind of been part of the "Silent majority."

You can't be serious ?? What was 13th & 14th November 2007 all about then ??? You threw your toys out of the playpen then !!

Cheers,

Ah Hirsty, I was betting even money on it being you I heard from first on here! Hows it going? did you give in and become a myfc member?

As for the 13th and 14th November, Sorry about that, It was only going to be a bit of banter but It turned into sport, I like to think that rubbing the locals up the wrong way was for the best in the end, it was always gonna happen, it just happened as soon as possible!
As for the silent majority thing, I stayed interested for a while and it was just too slow for my entertainment purposes so I did become part of the silent majority.
Now it looks like if we don't make an effort to use this team selection thing then we are never gonna get a chance to pick the team for real.
I guess you only want Liam to do that though? he'll be moving onto higher things anyway i'm sure and he fully deserves to as he's done a really good job.

All the best

[quote=ItsBusiness

Ah Hirsty, I was betting even money on it being you I heard from first on here! Hows it going? did you give in and become a myfc member?

It is going very well thank you. It is not a case of giving in and joining MyFC ( although I have not joined !) but still, after 5 months deliberation ( or whatever), I cannot agree to all and sundry picking the team.

As for the 13th and 14th November, Sorry about that, It was only going to be a bit of banter but It turned into sport, I like to think that rubbing the locals up the wrong way was for the best in the end, it was always gonna happen, it just happened as soon as possible!

Winding up the locals does not work at all. It portrays the members of MyFC, and MyFC in general, in a bad light...and then you wonder why there is lots of animosity towards MyFc. Posts such as yours only convince me more that most MyFc members ( and not all I hasten to add ) are only here to p*ss about.

As for the silent majority thing, I stayed interested for a while and it was just too slow for my entertainment purposes so I did become part of the silent majority.

Entertainment purposes ? As per previous response....I rest my case !

Now it looks like if we don't make an effort to use this team selection thing then we are never gonna get a chance to pick the team for real.

I guess you only want Liam to do that though? he'll be moving onto higher things anyway i'm sure and he fully deserves to as he's done a really good job.

Liam has done a good job and, as with most careers, a good job done may lead onto greater things, if it does, then good luck Liam. However, as I have mentioned before, if I had been appointed to a role ( whatever that role may have been) and then found that most of my responsibility had be taken away and placed

with whoever around the globe, then I wouldn't hang about too long.

All the best

Cheers,

Relief at not being elected was probably a closer description of how I felt. I expected the 'local' candidates to win all seven seats - actually surprised they only won six.

Yet YOU chose to stand and spent quite a bit of time putting together your prospectus and answering questions - hardly the actions of someone who didn't want to be elected

And those Board members who are members of the ST need to be aware that the MyFC Board is a different kettle of fish from what they are used to.

And you know this how? How many years have you been on either board?

All this, and demanding that the 'pick the team' system that currently is ineffective be introduced ASAP sounds very much like sour grapes

If he wants to change something then that's okay as long as he explains to the members why he did it afterwards (whether it works or not) and does not do it every week.

Bit of a grey area that, though. Where do you draw the line? What is "not every week"? Is it every two weeks, once every three months, five times a season plus two jokers to pick his own team?

Sorry to jump in like this, but I have to throw in my two cents...

1. The video - Unless you've paid your 10 quid to get the Hi-Def version and the added material, the free matches are f'n hard to see. I honestly believe the player stinks and I've had my new-ish computer freeze up on me trying to watch one of the 90-minute matches. Tough to even watch the video under those circumstances, let alone get enough info from them to 'pick the team' for the next match.

2. Picking the team - In all honesty, only 6-7,000 people are voting in any of the polls, so why is anyone surprised that only 1-1 1/2 percent of the MyFC members are voting on the team selection? Everything has moved too fast and it seems to me that there wasn't enough time to get everything "beta tested" before we were up and running EUFC. That's understandable, but to still force "pick the team" onto the club now would be suicide.

Nothing to say 'sorry' for RVR - the definition of a forum is a medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas.

Thats exactly whats happening here - its good to see so many of the MyFC members argue AGAINST the 'pick the team' system as it is just now.

Yes, its one of the main ideas behind MyFC, and it was promised by March - but why introduce something that's so blatantly flawed?

Not meaning to open yet another can of worms here...or maybe I am, but not in an antagonistic way...but if we work from the assumption that at some point "pick the team" will become a part of MyFC, what kind of system do you (addressed to no one in particular) think would work the best?

Granted, you can easily say "none," but that ignores the probable reality that some system will go into place eventually. Just looking for input, not a flame war. (And as I've said before, I think we need the system in place asap, but only as a trial run for the rest of the season.)

I think that question really sums up the whole 'pick the team' problem. Its going to be (almost) impossible for a piece of software to have enough intelligence to really do the job as well as a manager. Years of experience, of knowing your own players, their moods, their fitness, knowing your opponents, and how their manager is likely to think, the weather conditions, the level of competition, attitudes of players to being dropped/subbed etc - all this needs to be taken into account, plus - football, its a funny old game innit?

Show me one piece of software that could have predicted Barnsley beating Liverpool away AND Chelsea - and you might be halfway to deciding what 16 players to pick from. Never mind the final 11, or what formation these should play.

I like the idea of the trial run where votes are cast but only used to compare against Liams team, but its a bit late now - the season is almost over, the finals (note, its plural!) have been reached, the play-offs are looking very distant. It would be more use to trial it over a full season. That way any differences in Liam's team V MyFC team can be fully explained (players rested for bigger games etc)

Show me one piece of software that could have predicted Barnsley beating Liverpool away AND Chelsea - and you might be halfway to deciding what 16 players to pick from. Never mind the final 11, or what formation these should play.

But the software isn't picking the team Pat - the members are. The software is merely compiling the results.

The piece of Hardware needed to pick the team, is already in place! It is called Liam Daish and his scouting team!

You can watch as much video of Ebbsfleet players as you like, and make a choice, on how the player performs for one match. What you can't do, is watch the opposition, and make a decision on the tactics,and players needed to beat another teams tactics.