Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Parade ????

This has all the hallmarks of another Fleet PR gaffe of monumental proportions.

The team deserve a bus top parade through the centre of Gravesend, followed by a foot parade through the malls of Bluewater on Saturday afternoon, witnessed by thousands of people, many of whom will have been at Wembley.

If Chatham town centre on Thursday evening is a benchmark to go by, what they will get is empty tumbleweed strewn roads through Northfleet, followed by a vision of Gravesend town centre reminiscent of the Gaza strip, with gangs of swarthy, nonplussed Eastern Europeans busy plying their dubious wares to those who would prefer no publicity.

Commuters will barely have a chance to see the team. The shops will have closed and the workers gone home for dinner. School kids will be being fed at home during studying and revision for SATS tests on the Friday.

Fans like me will have an 80 minute round trip for a 5 minute drive past, with nothing to do before or afterwards.

Even my wife and kids(who all detest football) would go to Bluewater to see the team.

Sorry if my vision of North Kent on a wet and windy midweek May evening is a little bleak, but that is what the term will probably find.

THe team deserve better.

This is a golden opportunity to cement the bond between the casual floating fan who saw the team play brilliantly at Wembley, by getting to meet Liam, Alan and the boys face to face - to press flesh (very American, I know), sign autographs and to convince them this is their new team for life.

It is also the chance to keep the publicity bandwagon on the roll, recruiting new fans whilst the memory of the big day is still fresh.

It is not too late to change the parade to Saturday 3pm.

For the fans and the player's sake, not just the club officials, let the powers that be inside the club make it so.

Originally Posted By: Jeff
Saturday at 3pm clashes with the cup final but I agree with the sentiment Gary.

That was my thought too Jeff

I know that this Cup Final will not appeal to all, but I always get together with my brothers and dad to watch it, it is the only time (other than Xmas) that we all get together. I am sure many others are like this and therefore, this may erode some of the potential attendees.

Obviously, I would miss the Cup Final for the Parade, but others may not.

Maybe Sunday would be a better day for it.

Posted on the MyFC site earlier this morning:

'Ebbsfleet United's victorious Wembley squad will be parading the FA Trophy through Gravesend and Northfleet on Thursday, May 15, from 6.30pm subject to final Council confirmation.

The club's desired choice, of course, was to hold this event on a Saturday or Sunday but due to the unavailability of Liam Daish and a number of the team over the next two weekends for holiday and other reasons, it was felt that an early evening parade offered the best compromise in a limited set of available and imminent dates.

Obviously the club wishes to capitalise on the cup fever that has gripped the local community and so hold the event as soon as possible. To wait for management and players to return from holiday, as well as to hold the parade at a time when some players may have departed the club, risked undermining the event.

The time of 6.30pm was carefully considered to allow as many fans to return from work as possible, as well as allow fans with children to see the parade. Naturally the club realises this will not be convenient for everybody who attended Wembley last Saturday but for the reasons outlined above, believes it to be a fair compromise.'

Why not start in town to get the max number of folks there at the earliest time and finish at the ground? That way we can all congregate at San Stonebridge after? If there are speeches etc they could still be done but at the ground or perhaps even better in the town centre before the bus leaves for the parade.

I can see why it is being done on Thursday but the route seems a about f to me?!

I agree it's an unfortunate time, but from the sound of it, there wasn't much choice with many players and Liam unavailable on the weekend. Gary, not every decision you disagree with is automatically a Will Brooks-inspired conspiracy. It would be nice if we could go a couple of days at least after such a wonderful occasion without stirring up animosity.

It was a little harsh, Robert, but i'm just a little sorry the "moment" is going to be lost.

Perhaps when all are back from holiday the club could organise a "meet the players and see the Trophy" day at Bluewater - outside the Eurostar shop. Perfect combination. The club could sell merchandise, promote Eurostar, and more importantly, recruit new season ticket holders.

A large screen video of the final could be playing in the background just as a reminder.

It CAN be done - if MYFC want it to happen.