Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Barrow game

Hempstead Gaz

That was one of the most pleasurable 3 points I have seen the Fleet take since I have followed them. We were told pre game by a policeman that the crowd were touchy about drums and how the Cambridge one got kicked in. I think Scott was told he could, but not in the seats. The ground wasn't segregated, so we went to a quiet area. Quickly it was clear that we were not welcome in the ground. When you hear a fan being told to F off, and when talking about a hard challenge, to hear "you dont think the rules are the same in all divisions", you know where you stand.

Windy first half where we played in the air didnt help. The ref played his version of the rules in the first half, the one where you dont give fouls, so the tone was set. Comments about the drum ( which was hardly played 1st half ) didnt add to the feeling.

Its the first time at a non league game where I have been a bit aware of what is around me.

2nd half, all the Barrow fans come to where we are, so one by one, we reassemble on a nearly empty terrace. So 20 or so of us are there , starting a sing song, and one guy just stands in front of us giving a bit of verbal. I really dont think the idea of away fans at games has reached West Cumbria.

Ever been to a game where the feeling is that it is now "Personal " ?

Queue 45 mins of singing, chanting , the full works as the lads do the business on the pitch. Barrow were rough all afternoon and I bet we have loads of bumps and bruises to travel home with.

But, job well done. The Fleet fans weren't silenced, the drum did its work 2nd half, and the team showed on the pitch that the best way to beat aggresion and hoofball is to play football.

3 VERY hard won points. Now to do the same in Manchester next week.

Two complete ends of the spectrum with the fans. Some were polite and we laughed with him at Luke "Oscar" Moores dive. And then when we get back to the bus we are told that some of our fans were spat at.

Charming

Three points well taken and glad we havent got to go there for a while.

Also a thanks to the guys who couldnt come today but sent me messages wishing us a save journey.

Long way , but well worth it.

I genrally had respect for Barrow... Like us they are from a large county which lacks football league sides so I was pleased when they got themselves promoted with a fair support & from a fairly large town... Thats disappeared now!!

They should hang there heads in shame... Spitting at supporters who clearly are ot yobs or indeed spitting at anyone...

Originally Posted By: Yorkfox
To anybody who went today, any comments on this ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_conf/7626839.stm

Third consecutive league win???
That's BBC for ya.

Core... what a journey that was, just got back home!

That was a well deserved three points for us today. It was hard to tell who Man of the Match was. It was great team work throughout the side, not too much hoofing of the ball, the ball was controlled in the air and on the deck. Jamie Hand... another great game for him, he was so full of control and skill. The goals were also taken well from Luke Moore and Gash.
Dean Pooley done his job well when he came on for Sacha. Does anyone know why he went off so early? Injury?

Off the pitch, we went to the Tally Ho pub...

Pretty good summing up Kev. I need to go to sleep now!

Sacha has an injury to his leg from the look of it. The unfortunate substitution changed the game with Pooley going central and Darius morphing into (seriously) a maurading left back.

His making of the first goal was the moment of the match for me. We played well. We were disclipined. We were professional.

Barrow were dirty, unimaignative and generally not all that. Worst side that we have played all season.

Fans were double edged. First half met some great blokes. Second half was not so nice but we stuck together and sang through it. Kenny was fantastic this afternoon. He put in quite a turn.

Pics are here:

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=52734&l=e8037&id=647255667

Good to see some old friends yesterday at Barrow, particularly Keith and Lorraine (lost you at the end!), Jeff and Paul. Kenny was worth the entrance money on his own!! An excellent 3 points and it's just as well we have got that long trip up North over early in the season. The sun shone too, although it was very cold on the back of a motorbike on the way back!. I think we passed Kenny et al on the A590, the Fleet scarves were flying out of the window anyway.

We had long conversations with some very nice Barrow fans who were really sporting afterwards about our win, so as ever there are good and bad fans at every club smile

See you at Kidderminster x

I'm sorry that you feel you were badly treated but I would like to set the record straight on a couple of things..

Firstly, Barrow supporters did not 'kick a drum in at Cambridge', whoever told you that is a bae faced liar I'm afraid. We have several fans who don't like drums (myself included) and we joke about wanting to damage them but we would obviously never do such a thing and I would hope that people could see that our comments werelight hearted.

Secondly, our fans didn't come to stand near you to intimidate you at half time, we make the same move at every home game. There isa section of our support that likes to stand nearer to the end we're attacking and moves around the ground accordingly. I'm sure we'e not the only set of fans to do this, so I'm surprised that you have decided to mention it in the manner that you did by implying it was done to intimidate you.

I was stood near the younger Barrow supporters as your fans walked to the other end of the ground and didn't see anything untoward at all. A few Barrow fans chanted a song about you being owned by a website but it was light hearted stuff and certainly not threatening.

Barrow fans have a bad reputation, mainly due to the actions of a small band of idiots that have latched on to the team for big games down the years. The club and the police until recently had done absolutely noting to address this, meaning that our reputation was continually being harmed. The band of fans that go all over the country supporting the team unfortunately are the ones who are left to pay the price for the actions of these morons.

I dislike segregation at non league grounds, I don't think it should be neccesary but as the non league game gets stonger and stronger, I think now is sadly the time that it becomes mandatory at this level. The vast majority of all football fans are good, law abiding citizens but the minority are sadly capable of being so destructive, that we have to guard against it.

On Tuesday night, we were treated appallingly at Northwich.It's too long a story to go into it on here but details can be found here if you're interested. This has prompted me to think about setting up a supporters union, you can read about that here so as you can see, the majority of Barrow supporters are only interested in supporting our team, much like the vast majority of your supporters. Please don't tar us all with the same brush!

One final point. We're not in West Cumbria, we're in Lancashire, I thought everyone knew that!!!

Reg, there are good and bad amomgst all fans. We were talking to a lady pre match who had been to Northwich and told us what had happened when it sounded like the police were very well represented. I dont know if you know, but there was an incident at the York game there where bottle were thrown into the ground, so that may have been a minor factor. After the game, a steward shook my hand as did another young fan.

The Camb Drum comment was told to us by a policeman.

The supporters union sounds a good idea. If it goes forward, please PM me from this website. Away fans of all teams need to be encouraged as all home teams need their income.

I understand about the fans moving bit, but if the teams changed ends at the start, do we all have to move, then move again at half time ? :-)

I feel that if away fans at unsegregated games were advised about a good area to stand when they entered the ground, things would go smoother.

hi everyone just got home a hour ago after stopping over in barrow overnight.what a day what a great result.

great work by darius for the first goal setting up luke who scored with a great shot.before that barrow were piling on the pressure and were very physical in their challenges.the defence and lance were outstanding in the first half withstanding heavy barrow pressure.

the second half we had the wind with us and personally i felt more comfortable even more when michael scored with a great header

when michael slid the third past the goalkeeper it was celebration time i knew we had finally sealed it.

hope you guys got out of the ground safely and had a safe journey home.personally i found the barrow stewards were really great and helpful.

like every other team they have their troublemakers

but let me say most of the barrow supporters were really friendly.

at half time we were talking to this barrow guy and was having a really great conversation when suddenly the second half started and i though oh [****!!****] i am surrounded by barrow fans who had moved ends and i realised the fleet fans had gone to the end. so off i went down the back straight standing area all through the barrow followers with my fleet shirt on. did not get one word of abuse.like i said before the minority ruin it and give the club a bad name

after the game knowing there was no rush made way to see some of the players coming out to the coach

sacha came out first with a bandage above his ankle.he seemed obviously down with his injury but he still said hello

paul then came out and was really happy saying thanks a lot neil barratt came out and spoke saying in so many words that it was a rough physical game more players came out and were making their way probably to get something to eat.

my moment of fame was saying well played to lance and clapping him on the hand.his response was thanks mate.i must confess that was the icing on the day.i made my way from the stadium really happy a dream come true