Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Whats the rule

Whats the rule with regards to compression shorts and the colour they are allowed to be?? Seen referees before getting all busy with telling players they have to wear shorts that match the team kit.

Krooner????

Anyone???

The rule is that any undergarments must match the kit. So undershirts have to match the top and undershorts have to match the shorts. This has been in place for around 4 years now so nothing really new.

So now before kick off officials have to check boots, for jewellery, kit and also facilitate a handshake. And they wonder why there are less of us each year.

Law 4

The Players' Equipment

Safety

A player must not use equipment or wear anything which is dangerous to himself or another player (including any kind of jewellery).

Basic equipment

The basic compulsory equipment of a player is:

• a jersey or shirt

• shorts - if thermal undershorts are worn, they are of the same main colour as the shorts

• stockings

• shinguards

• footwear

Shinguards

• are covered entirely by the stockings

• are made of a suitable material (rubber, plastic, or similar substances)

• provide a reasonable degree of protection

Goalkeepers

• each goalkeeper wears colours which distinguish him from the other players, the referee and the assistant referees.

Infringements/Sanctions

For any infringement of this Law:

• play need not be stopped

• the player at fault is instructed by the referee to leave the field of play to correct his equipment

• the player leaves the field of play when the ball next ceases to be in play, unless he has already corrected his equipment

• any player required to leave the field of play to correct his equipment does not re-enter without the referee's permission

• the referee checks that the player's equipment is correct before allowing him to re-enter the field of play

• the player is only allowed to re-enter the field of play when the ball is out of play

A player who has been required to leave the field of play because of an infringement of this Law and who enters (or re-enters) the field of play without the referee's permission is cautioned and shown the yellow card.

Restart of play

If play is stopped by the referee to administer a caution:

• the match is restarted by an indirect free-kick taken by a player of the opposing side, from the place where the ball was located when the referee stopped the match.

Decisions of the International F.A. Board

Decision 1

Players must not reveal undershirts, which contain slogans or advertising

A player removing his jersey to reveal slogans or advertising will be sanctioned by the competition organiser.

Jerseys must have sleeves.

Then can someone direct me to a supplier of compression shorts that also supply the shorts in various colours.

Cos i cant find one!!

Is black shorts not just an acceptable colour??

How about if the comp shorts dont go lower than the team shorts??

Cove have just bought new shorts and they come down to my knee so i should be ok!!

Have to agree with JJ, why can't players just wear black as long as it's not clearly visible? Fair enough in the pro game where all kit is supplied, but bit harder at lower level to get undergarments in some clubs colours!

Also with regards to the rule "A player must not use equipment or wear anything which is dangerous to himself or another player (including any kind of jewellery).", I've just got some new gloves that have the finger protection spines in them and as it makes the back of the glove pretty hard, they would certainly hurt more than a normal glove (or any jewellery) if they caught a player it the face, but they are allowed!

Well perhaps the clubs should think about that when buying stupid coloured shorts !!!

Seriously though if the shorts are not visible then I do not personally see a problem. It will only become a problem if the shorts then become visible.

In our first game of the season, and at half time I might add, the referee chose to come into our dressing room and tell two of our players that they had to hide/remove undershorts due to a colour clash, despite the fact that they do wear them out of necessity. I pointed out that our away kit is light blue with navy blue flashing on the shirt, shorts and socks and the undershorts were navy blue and had in fact been chosen for that reason. The players wear black ones with the home kit to match the shorts. He told us that they would have to be light blue ones, despite the fact that they did blend in with the kit we wear wearing. Had they been, say, red I could have seen a problem. I know referees have a hard job to do and we could not do without them, so surely they could make life easier for themselves in such instances. Krooner seems to be the one in the know when this subject comes up, so is it that they are really given no leeway, but it did appear to be a petty stance that only served to alienate him from the players, which we do not want. On the subject of referees and the pressure they are under, am I the only one who seems to find that they seem to suffer performance-wise when they are being assessed. Just a couple of thoughts for the day.

Further to that, in our game v Feltham last week, one of our players was asked to go and remove his undershorts after about an hour of the game!! Ok they were black and our shorts are red, but the ref only noticed after he had made a tackle. So much for checking before the game and he hadn't noticed before then so obv wasn't an issue til he noticed.

Cannot comment on your game manager50 but it does come down to the colour and each referee's interpretation of whether they match or not. As for the assessing comment I do not think it makes any difference it is the perception of the clubs and it means they can wheel out the old line of "You are only doing that because you are being assessed"

Johnno.

Horley Ladies can recommend a good supplier who do a nice puce pink undershorts ! :bolt:

Funnily enough we had this crop up at Horley last Sunday with the Reserves. The Referee noticed the black thermals peeping below one of the girls shorts. He was quite happy for her to just roll them up slightly so they didn't show.

its one of those ones that our friends at Fifa and International Football Association Board use to turn our referee's into robots.

Its like the goalkeepers not being allowed to wear the same as each other or black. Is it really that difficult to tell them apart? Saying that, Croydon Municple play in black. How is that allowed?

Johnno

What colour are you after?

Black for the home kit and red for the away kit!!

Check out www.justsocca.com

They supply alot of pro clubs, if they don't have it on the site give them a call and they'll usually sort you out

Are you also aware that some people classify 'wrist' sweat bands as jewellery - therefore you may be asked to remove them as well (if you are wearing them). That said, I have never seen a branch of any well known chain of jewellery stores sell sweat bands.

Yes Tel can i call you that,we have black,with yellow sashes on sleeves and front,black shorts,yellow socks. A few people have queried it,but it has been cleared by the League.Westfield who I believe play in yellow shirts,said it would be a colour clash due to our yellow in shirt,so it seems we cannot win.Black and Yellow are not clashing colours,but on this occassion both the ref and Westfield were not happy.But in the true spirit of the Non League game Westfield kindly changed.I will say this though,our lads have not passed ball to ref once in 11 games,whether thats because of our ability I'm still not sure.Another for Kroons what if a player has large sovereign wedding ring,and would need finger amputated to remove it,can he play.

Are you also aware that some people classify 'wrist' sweat bands as jewellery - therefore you may be asked to remove them as well (if you are wearing them). That said, I have never seen a branch of any well known chain of jewellery stores sell sweat bands.

That really IS stretching things a bit far !

Yes Tel can i call you that,we have black,with yellow sashes on sleeves and front,black shorts,yellow socks. A few people have queried it,but it has been cleared by the League.Westfield who I believe play in yellow shirts,said it would be a colour clash due to our yellow in shirt,so it seems we cannot win.Black and Yellow are not clashing colours,but on this occassion both the ref and Westfield were not happy.But in the true spirit of the Non League game Westfield kindly changed.I will say this though,our lads have not passed ball to ref once in 11 games,whether thats because of our ability I'm still not sure.Another for Kroons what if a player has large sovereign wedding ring,and would need finger amputated to remove it,can he play.

I'm with your Smudge, I think even people with little intellegence can tell the difference between a teammate and a referee!!! I used to be involved with Reading FC on the non-football staff side and when Reading had their black away kit, they had to take green referee shirts with them for reserve games because the referee's always wore black.

In answer to your question about the large sovereign, if it is deemed dangerous to himself and other players and could not take it off, he would not be allowed to play. Covering it with tape is not enough. Last year the FA insisted that wedding rings be taken off as well, but I think that one or two officials are letting that slip.