Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Sewer Rats v Canvey Island

James Russel confimed it was in !

But to be fair who gives a flying feck !

As for buying a team, Your obviously clueless about your own club mate !

I don't think Concord were the worst team we've played all season at all, I think both teams played well and both had good chances. Concord were lucky, we weren't...simple as that really! Game could've gone either way to be fair.

As Golden Boots has said, one game doesn't make a season and Concord will hold on to the bragging rights until April : )

Although I doubt you'll ever shut the Yellow Army up!!

A canvey fan with some sense !:applaus: :applaus: :applaus:

That wasn't my point... If you read the post properly, it says you can't buy fans...

Of course you can, for 20 quid I'll support Canvey.

Any advance on that Ant? :grin:

Great post Matt H.....exactly as i saw it, But I think you hit the nail on the head here....

"My biggest concern of the night though was that we undid ourselves by not starting players in their strongest positions. It's a DERBY! Not having Rhodes play on the left until the second half made us very narrow during the opening 45 and having a left-footed striker on the right wing didn't help either. Perhaps Hallett did something during the warm-up which meant Westy had to come in at left-back wearing no. 9? We had three strikers on the bench: Leon, Hallett and Ellis. To not include at least one of them in the starting XI so the team was balanced is shocking to be honest and the fact that it took till half-time to get it right. Last time we played players that much out of position was against Heybridge in the League Cup and back then we were punished with a late goal."

This is what surprised me... After our unbeaten run, why did we make any changes to the starting XI? Hallett was warming up at around about 60 mins, so I don't think he was injured at all. Rhodes gives us pace up front, but it's not his natural position!

I think team selection was forced on the managemnt team to be honest.

Dobbo missing was a big loss, his precence and experience in midfield would have given us the edge in my view.

Jason hadn't trainned since picking up a hamstring problem against Wealdstone, so he was only fit enough for the bench. Gordo isn't match fit yet so again being realistic we was only going to ever get 45 mins out of him.

I thought tactically we got it right, we always looked in control throughout and we were by far the better side second half, we just didn't get the break in front of goal.

Interesting to read Alex Rhodes footballing stats, he has played well over 100 games as centre forward, personally i prefer him as a wide player but i think he was the best option to play alongside Healsey last night to start with.

The goal was fortunate with Chris Moore slipping just as he was about too head a fairly straight forward punt up field away.

As people have said in other posts we take it on the chin and move forward to Saturday clash with Folkestone.

Special mention to the Yellow Army who were superb throughout and also too the many old faces that i spoke to around the ground, many of which promised a return to the Brockwell over the coming weeks.

Just shows the regard we have for our squad players doesnt it ??...The fact that they cant even get a game infront of leon who's only good for 45 mins and Jason who hasnt trained all week....Sort of encouragement they need....And yes we did look better in the second half because we had got it tacticly wrong and thankfully changed it at half time...

Anyway onwards and upwards Folkstone beware..!!

Great post Matt H.....exactly as i saw it, But I think you hit the nail on the head here....

"My biggest concern of the night though was that we undid ourselves by not starting players in their strongest positions. It's a DERBY! Not having Rhodes play on the left until the second half made us very narrow during the opening 45 and having a left-footed striker on the right wing didn't help either. Perhaps Hallett did something during the warm-up which meant Westy had to come in at left-back wearing no. 9? We had three strikers on the bench: Leon, Hallett and Ellis. To not include at least one of them in the starting XI so the team was balanced is shocking to be honest and the fact that it took till half-time to get it right. Last time we played players that much out of position was against Heybridge in the League Cup and back then we were punished with a late goal."

This is what surprised me... After our unbeaten run, why did we make any changes to the starting XI? Hallett was warming up at around about 60 mins, so I don't think he was injured at all. Rhodes gives us pace up front, but it's not his natural position!

Dobbo missing was a big loss, his precence and experience in midfield would have given us the edge in my view.

Jason hadn't trainned since picking up a hamstring problem against Wealdstone, so he was only fit enough for the bench. Gordo isn't match fit yet so again being realistic we was only going to ever get 45 mins out of him.

I thought tactically we got it right, we always looked in control throughout and we were by far the better side second half, we just didn't get the break in front of goal.

Interesting to read Alex Rhodes footballing stats, he has played well over 100 games as centre forward, personally i prefer him as a wide player but i think he was the best option to play alongside Healsey last night to start with.

The goal was fortunate with Chris Moore slipping just as he was about too head a fairly straight forward punt up field away.

As people have said in other posts we take it on the chin and move forward to Saturday clash with Folkestone.

Special mention to the Yellow Army who were superb throughout and also too the many old faces that i spoke to around the ground, many of which promised a return to the Brockwell over the coming weeks.

Just shows the regard we have for our squad players doesnt it ??...The fact that they cant even get a game infront of leon who's only good for 45 mins and Jason who hasnt trained all week....Sort of encouragement they need....And yes we did look better in the second half because we had got it tacticly wrong and thankfully changed it at half time...

It never fails to surprise me that we don’t seem to use our subs!! I’m not going to argue that sometimes we are forced into team selections with injuries etc but would it really hurt to bring on a couple of subs with more than 5 mins of a game left?? Bringing on Ellis or Isa Hussein last night would have just shaken things up a bit and given the game some fresh legs…it might have made a difference or it might not…but it wouldn’t have hurt to find out. I’m not going to go on about team tactics etc but I don’t understand why we don’t make better use of the subs. We have some decent players on that bench and they may not be better than what we already have out there on the pitch at this moment in time but they won’t reach that standard unless they are given more of a chance.

Edited by Lauren

It never fails to surprise me that we don’t seem to use our subs!! I’m not going to argue that sometimes we are forced into team selections with injuries etc but would it really hurt to bring on a couple of subs with more than 5 mins of a game left?? Bringing on Ellis or Isa Hussein last night would have just shaken things up a bit and given the game some fresh legs…it might have made a difference or it might not…but it wouldn’t have hurt to find out. I’m not going to go on about team tactics etc but I don’t understand why we don’t make better use of the subs. We have some decent players on that bench and they may not be better than what we already have out there on the pitch at this moment in time but they won’t reach that standard unless they are given more or a chance.

Quite possibly the most sensible poster on here :applaus: :applaus:

You'll never find out whow good those lads are unless they get thrown in at the deep end.

I personally think it's disgraceful that Ellis had such a productive loan spell at Redbridge and has come back to be left rotting on the bench. He's a pacy lad, and knows where the net is. Giving him the odd 20 minutes, half hour of the second half could reap massive rewards.

One player springs to mind: John Easterford... Couldn't get a look in, but when we actually tried him look what happened!! Other players need to be given a chance for once, 5 minutes at the end is no use.

It never fails to surprise me that we don’t seem to use our subs!! I’m not going to argue that sometimes we are forced into team selections with injuries etc but would it really hurt to bring on a couple of subs with more than 5 mins of a game left?? Bringing on Ellis or Isa Hussein last night would have just shaken things up a bit and given the game some fresh legs…it might have made a difference or it might not…but it wouldn’t have hurt to find out. I’m not going to go on about team tactics etc but I don’t understand why we don’t make better use of the subs. We have some decent players on that bench and they may not be better than what we already have out there on the pitch at this moment in time but they won’t reach that standard unless they are given more or a chance.

Quite possibly the most sensible poster on here :applaus: :applaus:

You'll never find out whow good those lads are unless they get thrown in at the deep end.

I personally think it's disgraceful that Ellis had such a productive loan spell at Redbridge and has come back to be left rotting on the bench. He's a pacy lad, and knows where the net is. Giving him the odd 20 minutes, half hour of the second half could reap massive rewards.

His goal per game ratio was so good in that loan period - not many of our other strikers had the same in that league! I know it was only a short period, but I think he proved a point. Then he went and scored against a League One side... What more can a player do to prove himself?!

We all have views thats why we love the game.

I thought last nights team showed we have flexibility in our squad, we have players that can play in more then just one position. At this level that is crucial as most teams carry small squads.

Again we may or may not have not got the tactics right 1st half, that's personel opinion i suppose, but im not sure who else could of started in front of the choosen 11. Gordo showed his worth from the bench with a excellent 2nd half performance and i look forward to seeing him 100% fit.

As you say Modfather "Beware Folkestone"

Beat me too it Lauren!

Haha I knew you'd agree with me though and I think as you rightly say John Easterford is the perfect example of what could happen when a sub is given a proper chance : )

Edited by Lauren

Beat me too it Lauren!

Haha I knew you'd agree with me though and I think as you rightly say John Easterford is the perfect example of what could happen when a sub is given a proper chance : )

We say it after the game every week - it's crazy that we'd rather play certain players out of position than use players who actually play there!!

Beat me too it Lauren!

We say it after the game every week - it's crazy that we'd rather play certain players out of position than use players who actually play there!!

To be fair i don't think any of the players have been played out of positiion?

Beat me too it Lauren!

Before this season, I'm sure Jay Curran was a striker! Isn't Dumas' prefered position left back (I know he can play left mid, but it isn't his favoured place)? I'm sure Isa was played up front a while back. Robbie King has been put to right back a number of times this season.

I'm all for playing your strongest XI and I don't know what happens in training etc to make the team selection what it is, but surely it's best to play players in their actual positions? You wouldn't play 11 goalkeepers if they were the best players in your squad!

And if you don't give players a chance, how will they ever prove themselves?

We've had some good results this season, so I don't want to question everything the management does, but debate is healthy!

Beat me too it Lauren!

Before this season, I'm sure Jay Curran was a striker! Isn't Dumas' prefered position left back (I know he can play left mid, but it isn't his favoured place)? I'm sure Isa was played up front a while back. Robbie King has been put to right back a number of times this season.

I'm all for playing your strongest XI and I don't know what happens in training etc to make the team selection what it is, but surely it's best to play players in their actual positions? You wouldn't play 11 goalkeepers if they were the best players in your squad!

And if you don't give players a chance, how will they ever prove themselves?

We've had some good results this season, so I don't want to question everything the management does, but debate is healthy!

For someone like Ellis, I don't know what more he can do to prove himself....surely scoring the winner against a league one side was enough...and all the goals he scored at Redbridge. I think Isa Hussein is another one who could be a great asset to the team if given more time on the pitch. As I said earlier, not necessarily better than what we already have but surely should be given a shot!

Edited by Lauren

can't believe you lost after all the concord baiting thats been going on lol

Neither can I and I am as guilty as anyone for that but credit were credit is due, we gave them a lot of stick and in the end they are the ones with the 3 points! :applaus: :applaus: :applaus:

My pride is hurting more than my head at the moment and will for some time no doubt, but I will take it on the chin(s), if you give it you have to be able to take it. Yesterday felt like a good old fashioned footballing day, my son's had their colours on, picking up their friends on the way to the game, the build up beforehand, everyone I spoke to for the last few weeks have been going on about this game and then a nice sized crowd of 720!! As for the game, it wasn't the greatest game of football I have seen, nothing to separate the sides in the first half, we changed formation in the 2nd half and seemed to have slightly the better of it with Brightly pulling of a superb save from Alex, a couple of shots from Alex also being of target and Leon causing trouble down the right side. I thought the officials got it right disallowing our goal, maybe Leon could have taken the chance himself, although if he had and missed we would have wanted him to square it!!! It looked like Rusty had pulled of an incredible save down the other end and the game was going to end up all square, only to be beaten in the last minute. I enjoyed the atmosphere, throughout the game you could feel the tension and it showed on the pitch. The scuffle at the end was great, I am not encouraging it, but it added to the 'Derby' feel which had been building up nicely. The goal celebrations were expected and we as supporters have to be big enough to take that, after what the Concord lot were put through before and during the game it was their way of sticking right back up us. We would have been exactly the same so full credit to them, as earlier said they now own the bragging rights and its for us to grab them back when they come to the Brockwell.

Agree with you there. I can quite understand the reaction of their players even though it was a bit annoying at the time

Let's face it, the stick we were giving to Concord before and during the game regarding their ground, lack of support and money situation is only the same as we were getting from other clubs when we were going up through the divisions and doing well in the cups.

So many teams looked down on us and belittled us a 'little pub team'. We gave it back by giving them a 'bloody nose' and we celebrated to the full.

In football, it is inevitable that any stick you give out will one day come back and 'bite you on the bum' but we have to pick ourselves up and get on with it.

Still plenty of twists and turns left in this season.

Edited by YELLOW

can't believe you lost after all the concord baiting thats been going on lol

Neither can I and I am as guilty as anyone for that but credit were credit is due, we gave them a lot of stick and in the end they are the ones with the 3 points! :applaus: :applaus: :applaus:

My pride is hurting more than my head at the moment and will for some time no doubt, but I will take it on the chin(s), if you give it you have to be able to take it. Yesterday felt like a good old fashioned footballing day, my son's had their colours on, picking up their friends on the way to the game, the build up beforehand, everyone I spoke to for the last few weeks have been going on about this game and then a nice sized crowd of 720!! As for the game, it wasn't the greatest game of football I have seen, nothing to separate the sides in the first half, we changed formation in the 2nd half and seemed to have slightly the better of it with Brightly pulling of a superb save from Alex, a couple of shots from Alex also being of target and Leon causing trouble down the right side. I thought the officials got it right disallowing our goal, maybe Leon could have taken the chance himself, although if he had and missed we would have wanted him to square it!!! It looked like Rusty had pulled of an incredible save down the other end and the game was going to end up all square, only to be beaten in the last minute. I enjoyed the atmosphere, throughout the game you could feel the tension and it showed on the pitch. The scuffle at the end was great, I am not encouraging it, but it added to the 'Derby' feel which had been building up nicely. The goal celebrations were expected and we as supporters have to be big enough to take that, after what the Concord lot were put through before and during the game it was their way of sticking right back up us. We would have been exactly the same so full credit to them, as earlier said they now own the bragging rights and its for us to grab them back when they come to the Brockwell.

Agree with you there. I can quite understand the reaction of their players even though it was a bit annoying at the time

Let's face it, the stick we were giving to Concord before and during the game regarding their ground, lack of support and money situation is only the same as we were getting from other clubs when we were going up through the divisions and doing well in the cups.

So many teams looked down on us and belittled us a 'little pub team'. We gave it back by giving them a 'bloody nose' and we celebrated to the full.

In football, it is inevitable that any stick you give out will one day come back and 'bite you on the bum' but we have to pick ourselves up and get on with it.

Still plenty of twists and turns left in this season.

On reflection, the players must have been hurt and just wanted to get in to the changing rooms. I can understand them leaving the pitch asap!

Our biggest weakness this season is failure to find the net on occasions and see chances go begging. Surely with five strikers, or six if you want to include Rhodes, changing it up top should be done in every game, (personnel permitting) to encourage healthy competitveness between the strikers and also add fresh legs to face tiring opposition defences.

If you wanted to start with Leon on the right, Rhodes on the left, Curran and Heale up front that still leaves Hallett and Ellis on the bench. In my eyes one of them should always come on with at least 20 minutes to go, even if we're winning 4 - 0 for the reasons I've said above. Last night, leaving Hallett on the bench until we were losing was to put it bluntly the wrong decision in my eyes. I have never understood this season why Heasley is more often than not made to last the full 90, when it's obvious sometimes that he's ran himself ragged and can't always keep up with the wingers resulting in crosses passing harmlessly in front of goal.

If we were only going to get 45 out of Leon and Hallett last night or even 60 at a push, wouldn't it have made sense to use them from the start to give us the balance we were missing and then replace them with Curran and Ellis? I find it amazing how losing Dobbo can change the entire look of the team, but I think there is still a case for bringing in an extra naturally right-sided player.

It was a feisty end to the game with a few things kicking off. Probably best the players made their way straight to the dressing room in case anything else kicked off.

Firstly, congratulations to Concord. Two evenly matched teams put on a good show for those in attendance and either side could have gone away with the three points. It happened to be them, but I don't think we let ourselves down by losing. As for any suggestion of Concord being one of the worst teams we've played, I'd say that they were better than Maidstone, Folkestone, Aveley, Hastings, Horsham, Margate, Hendon, Carshalton, AFC Hornchurch, Cray Wanderers in their performances against us this season, so I think that's a bit wide of the mark in my opinion.

Despite the defeat I enjoyed the occasion last night, and the match did have a proper derby feeling to it. It hurt to lose to a goal so late in the game, but this isn't the first time we've lost a derby match and it certainly won't be the last!

Hindsight is a great thing, but I have to say that we looked much better in the second half with Dumas at left back and Rhodesy at left mid. Whether this was enforced or not is up for debate, but I don't think many would disagree that they were best side in the first half and we were the better in the second with Leon right mid and Jay up top, plus the other mentioned changes.

Both teams had chances to score before the goal went in, and perhaps Concord already did....still, the lino made up for missing that one by allowing the offside goal (so I've been told!)

The Yellow Army were tremendous and really did give the game the derby atmosphere. Pleased to see a big crowd too - maybe there is life in this island yet!

The Concord players singing on the pitch afterwards made me smile! Fair play to them, they won the game and deserved to enjoy it, although I didn't realise they'd just won the Champions League :smilewinkgrin:

All in all it was a good advert for Canvey and Ryman Premier League football, with plenty of drama and passion thrown in for good measure. Let's hope we avenge this defeat at The Brockwell later in the season so that we can have a little song and dance of our own!